Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Interesting. I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing though, as fping6's timeout is set to 500ms.

It started happening around 23:00 yesterday. Curiously, I've also stopped being able to access my modem in bridge mode on 192.168.100.1 since then. @RogersDave, was a firmware update pushed to my modem last night?
I'm Here A Lot

I am not able to access my modem either but now i can. There seems to be no firmware update, (.16)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

4.5.8.20 should be loaded at some point although I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.  With .16 loaded, if you run the modem in Bridge mode, provided that the follow-on router is IPV6 capable, you will be able to access IPV6.  If you run the modem in Gateway mode, and you want to use IPV6 then you should ask for the trial V4.5.8.21 which resolves the issue of the LAN ports dying as is seen in 4.5.8.20.

To request 4.5.8.21, see the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

I'm Here A Lot

I can confirm again, 1:2:3:4/64,part 4 changed after restarting my modem and router

I'm a Regular

I'm living in the donmils and Steele's area and not getting ipv6 ?
I've Been Here Awhile

For IPv4 Rogers assigns you a domain name in the format: 

cpe<router_mac_addr>-cm<modem_mac_addr>.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

Does anyone know if there is a similar domain name assigned to the new IPv6 addresses?

Thanks,

Serge

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sergeturgeon wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a similar domain name assigned to the new IPv6 addresses?

Thanks,

Serge

For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

For your internal network, no. The Rogers network just has no way of knowing what IPs your router + autoconfiguration assigned to your internal machines, so it can't create the proper reverse DNS entries...

Apparently this is more or less how it's going to be with IPv6 - the address space is just so big that there isn't a good way for a provider to provide reverse DNS on customer subnets. There's an IETF document on this issue too.

I Plan to Stick Around

@sergeturgeon wrote:

Thanks,

Serge

There isn't as can be seen when running the IPv6 test here (http://ipv6-test.com) and there probably won't ever be one. IPv6 connects using a Privacy Address (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Privacy) that changes on a regular basis There is no way for Rogers to derive a hostname from what is virtually an unlimited number of possible IPv6 addresses.

I've Been Here Awhile

> For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@sergeturgeon wrote:

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

You are better off registering your own domain name and paying for a DNS service. The hostname for a Rogers' router WAN IPv6 address looks like this: 

CPE00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-CM84-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

Not very friendly.

If you know the IPv6 WAN address of your router you can find the hostname by doing a reverse lookup at this web site http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx