cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

I don't work for Rogers so take this with a grain of salt. 

I don't think the IPv6 prefix will change unless the MAC address of the device connecting to the network changes. In other words, unless you make a hardware change the prefix should stay constant. I don't think Rogers has a policy to assign static prefixes to residential clients though.

My prefix has not changed since IPv6 went active which was a few weeks ago.

There are no guarantees but unlike with IPv4 where there is a limited pool of addresses to assign, the IPv6 address pool, or in IPv6 speak "prefixes," that Rogers has availble means that they don't need to worry about running short so they don't have to juggle them like they did for IPv4.

If your prefix has changed it may be due to another reason other than anything Rogers may be doing on their end. 

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

DHCPv6-PD uses something called "DHCP Unique Identifier" (DUID) which usually contains the MAC or link local address of the modem or router.  This won't change, unless you change the hardware.

Raji
I'm here a lot

I am 100% sure i didnt change my router in the last 365 days. My modem was always in bridge mode. 

another question: why is there no WAN ip address listed in my router's WAN interface ? Is this normal ?

http://imgur.com/QoUFh2u 

Hello Raji,

While we do use Dynamic DHCP, as far as I'm aware, the prefixes in IPv6 shouldn't change. 

gw280
I plan to stick around

I'm seeing intermittent packet loss on IPv6 only. Is this a known issue?

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

Raji, is the prefix changing regularly? If it was I one time thing I wouldn't worry about it and chock it up to a one-time event.

As for the WAN IPv6 address, I don't have a Netgear router but the router I do have does show the WAN address. You may need to contact Netgear for an answer to that one or find a netgear user community to find out what the story is about that.

gw280
I plan to stick around

Here's a smokeping from the last 3 hours showing significant packet loss. This is to Google over IPv6 (2607:f8b0:400b:80b::200e):

Googlev6_last_10800.png

JKnott

"While we do use Dynamic DHCP, as far as I'm aware, the prefixes in IPv6 shouldn't change. "

In my experience, the IPv4 DHCP address rarely changed, but the host name never changed, unless the hardware was changed as it was based on the modem and firewall MAC addresses.  Does the same apply to the IPv6 host name?  I don't see anything like a MAC address within my current IPv6 host name.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gw280 I haven't seen your graph yet as the mods haven't approved it, but, have a look at my post #73 on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/8/thread-...

Perhaps what you are seeing will make more sense after reading thru the post.

gw280
I plan to stick around
Interesting. I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing though, as fping6's timeout is set to 500ms.

It started happening around 23:00 yesterday. Curiously, I've also stopped being able to access my modem in bridge mode on 192.168.100.1 since then. @RogersDave, was a firmware update pushed to my modem last night?

Raji
I'm here a lot

I am not able to access my modem either but now i can. There seems to be no firmware update, (.16)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

4.5.8.20 should be loaded at some point although I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.  With .16 loaded, if you run the modem in Bridge mode, provided that the follow-on router is IPV6 capable, you will be able to access IPV6.  If you run the modem in Gateway mode, and you want to use IPV6 then you should ask for the trial V4.5.8.21 which resolves the issue of the LAN ports dying as is seen in 4.5.8.20.

To request 4.5.8.21, see the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

I can confirm again, 1:2:3:4/64,part 4 changed after restarting my modem and router

I'm living in the donmils and Steele's area and not getting ipv6 ?

For IPv4 Rogers assigns you a domain name in the format: 

cpe<router_mac_addr>-cm<modem_mac_addr>.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

Does anyone know if there is a similar domain name assigned to the new IPv6 addresses?

Thanks,

Serge

@sergeturgeon wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a similar domain name assigned to the new IPv6 addresses?

Thanks,

Serge

For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

For your internal network, no. The Rogers network just has no way of knowing what IPs your router + autoconfiguration assigned to your internal machines, so it can't create the proper reverse DNS entries...

Apparently this is more or less how it's going to be with IPv6 - the address space is just so big that there isn't a good way for a provider to provide reverse DNS on customer subnets. There's an IETF document on this issue too.

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

@sergeturgeon wrote:

Thanks,

Serge

There isn't as can be seen when running the IPv6 test here (http://ipv6-test.com) and there probably won't ever be one. IPv6 connects using a Privacy Address (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Privacy) that changes on a regular basis There is no way for Rogers to derive a hostname from what is virtually an unlimited number of possible IPv6 addresses.

sergeturgeon
I've been here awhile

> For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

@sergeturgeon wrote:

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

You are better off registering your own domain name and paying for a DNS service. The hostname for a Rogers' router WAN IPv6 address looks like this: 

CPE00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-CM84-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

Not very friendly.

If you know the IPv6 WAN address of your router you can find the hostname by doing a reverse lookup at this web site http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx

@gcerullo wrote:

@sergeturgeon wrote:

You are better off registering your own domain name and paying for a DNS service. The hostname for a Rogers' router WAN IPv6 address looks like this: 

CPE00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-CM84-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

Not very friendly.

If you know the IPv6 WAN address of your router you can find the hostname by doing a reverse lookup at this web site http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx

Well, what makes sense is to get another DNS provider, and then use a CNAME to the Rogers hostname. That way it avoids the mess of dynamic DNS (if you can even find a provider that does dynamic DNS on IPv6).

JKnott

I use a DNS and use an alias to my WAN side IPv6 & IPv4 addresses, but have to manually add the LAN IPv6 addresses.