cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I'm unable to access the IPv6 internet from within my lan; routing halts after the 3rd hop. @RogersDave

traceroute to ipv6.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:80b::200e), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets
1 2607:fea8:8c1f:****:****:****:****:**** (2607:fea8:8c1f:****:****:****:****:****) 10.287 ms 10.267 ms 10.261 ms
2 2607:f798:804:****::1 (2607:f798:804:****::1) 12.338 ms 19.966 ms 20.183 ms
3 2607:f798:10:980f:**:****:****:**** (2607:f798:10:980f:**:****:****:****) 28.204 ms 35.387 ms 35.740 ms
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status with CGN3

@howi wrote:

Moreover, if it uses the manual settings with the v4 resolvers, the gateway would not work with the IPv6 routing as well. As soon as I turn DNS settings back to auto, routing is back to normal.

Thanks @howi, I was able to replicate this and have flagged it accordingly.

howi
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

On firmware 4.5.8.20 you can set the guest network account up in the GUI, so no more USB sticks, or calling Rogers to set it up. They also let you select 40Mhz or 20Mhz Channel Width on the 2.4Ghz Network, however 99% of people should leave it on 20Mhz. You can Google why selecting 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz is a bad idea.

@gp-se,

1. I've noticed that Guest access toggle but it only works if using the auto DNS settings. 

2. Yeah, widening the bandwidth for 802.11n in the 2.4GHz band may not be the magic bullet in certain enviroments.

@sapphirus wrote:

I'm unable to access the IPv6 internet from within my lan; routing halts after the 3rd hop. @RogersDave

traceroute to ipv6.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:80b::200e), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets
1 2607:fea8:8c1f:****:****:****:****:**** (2607:fea8:8c1f:****:****:****:****:****) 10.287 ms 10.267 ms 10.261 ms
2 2607:f798:804:****::1 (2607:f798:804:****::1) 12.338 ms 19.966 ms 20.183 ms
3 2607:f798:10:980f:**:****:****:**** (2607:f798:10:980f:**:****:****:****) 28.204 ms 35.387 ms 35.740 ms
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *

Thanks @sapphirus, this is a regionalized issue. I have raised it for resolution. I will provide an update once it is corrected.

Vikentieff
I plan to stick around

48 hrs later still no .20 update. Can I request it being pushed out to my modem via CommunityHelps PM? Just curious. Thanks.

@Vikentieff wrote:

48 hrs later still no .20 update. Can I request it being pushed out to my modem via CommunityHelps PM? Just curious. Thanks.

The deployment of 4.5.8.20 on the CGN3ACSMR Rocket Wi-Fi modem has not officially started yet. A very limited number of users have received it as part of troubleshooting and testing of reported issues.

Please stand by for a few more days while we address the issues that have been reported to us up to this point and work on the deployment of this new firmware.

Vikentieff
I plan to stick around

^^ This is rather confusing as I just saw my router update and reboot... I now have .20. Does it mean it all has been fixed or another patch is coming?

Nope, that will be it.  You could run another factory reset, but what you have now is .20

I'm guessing another update will come out soon, to address the manual entry of an ipv6 DNS.

Also can Rogers get rid of the easy setup assistant, or atleast an option to skip it and allow manual setup? I actually like having my Gateway having a default name rather than me giving it a name. (Rogers 2xxx9-5G) 

howi
I plan to stick around

@gp-se

Haha I've got into frustration when I was so hyped up to check the things out after the reset but forgot the Login password has also been changed during the "guided" set up! LOL 

howi
I plan to stick around

@JKnott,

In my observations with the 4.5.8.20 release, the Guest WiFi Access feature creates a different block of IP address range for the guests with internet access. As for whether or not, it's indeed a VLAN allow access among the guests, I haven't determined. It's strange to allow that happen anyway.

However, one thing I don't prefer is losing the Manual DNS resolver entries, it must use Auto with the default Rogers DNS resolvers. I think it's because the guest password must be entered for granting the access via the GUI.

Perhaps @RogersDave and others could fill in more details about this one...

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@davem wrote:

The deployment of 4.5.8.20 on the CGN3ACSMR Rocket Wi-Fi modem has not officially started yet. A very limited number of users have received it as part of troubleshooting and testing of reported issues.

I now have 4.5.8.20.  I can configure ssh port forwarding, which I couldn't before.  Also, while I get an IPv6 address, it doesn't seem to be working.  Also, the Guest WiFi doesn't seem to get an address.

howi
I plan to stick around

JKnott wrote:  

Also, while I get an IPv6 address, it doesn't seem to be working.  Also, the Guest WiFi doesn't seem to get an address.

@JKnott,

Yeah, the Guest WiFi access is only assigned with IPv4 addresses in the 192.168.103.x range by default 

JKnott

One thing I've noticed is that you can't have the same SSID for both bands.  This violates common practice, where a device should be able to switch between bands as needed.

JKnott

@howi wrote:

JKnott wrote:  

Also, while I get an IPv6 address, it doesn't seem to be working.  Also, the Guest WiFi doesn't seem to get an address.

@JKnott,

Yeah, the Guest WiFi access is only assigned with IPv4 addresses in the 192.168.103.x range by default 

Yep, but you can't get there from here with it.  😉

What's the point of providing guest access if it doesn't go anywhere?

JKnott

There also doesn't appear to be any encryption on the guest WiFi.

howi
I plan to stick around
@JKnott,

What are you referring to "but you can't get there from here with it. ;-)"? Not too sure if I misunderstood you. It's just NATed with IPv4 and no problem with the www... unless there are specific sites with IPv6 only addresses.

Either way, I am not keen on "dedicated" Guest WiFi access. Like you've said, it doesn't use any encryption for the connections at all. I

@JKnott wrote:

One thing I've noticed is that you can't have the same SSID for both bands.  This violates common practice, where a device should be able to switch between bands as needed.

In residential land with residential-grade gear? 

When I tried to run 5GHz and 2.4GHz with the same SSID years ago, it was a complete disaster because clients kept favouring 2.4GHz even when they shouldn't. So I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that for residential setups, you should run separate SSIDs to force the 5GHz devices to stay there.

Now, if this was a business-grade setup with real APs, that'd be a different story. Why business-grade gear seems to handle this fine and residential-grade doesn't... is a mystery to me. 

I would like to thank everybody that reported issues. We are working hard on resolving all the problems and bring IPv6 to all our customers.

Aside from enhancements regarding gateway and modem capabilities that have been brought up as required, the following network issues are open and being addressed:

• Hitron CGN3ACSMR requires firmware 4.5.8.20. Deployment schedule for this firmware is being finalized and should commence shortly
  • Customers in or around Scarborough (ON) may be unable to receive an IPv6 prefix
  • Customers in or around New Dundee (ON) and Pokemouche (NB) receive an IPv6 prefix but are unable to connect to IPv6 destinations

As a reminder, most Hitron Wi-Fi modems require a factory reset when used in gateway mode to enable IPv6 support. This step is not required with an external third party router.

If you are experiencing another issue that is not mentioned here, feel free to provide some details in order for our engineering and operations teams to investigate accordingly.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Last week I swapped out my CNG3 (with IPv6 operational) with a replacement CNG3ACSMR that had the original 4.4.8.14 firmware in it. No sign of Ipv6... The external IP address also changed completely, but I guess that's expected.

So, contacted Rogers after 4 nights of no firmware updates and I was told that they would push the firmware update and that it would restore IPv6 visibility...

Last night, the firmware was only updated to 4.5.8.16, still with no IPv6, even after a factory reset.

Why is 4.5.8.16 still being pushed if 4.5.8.20 is now available?

When is 4.5.8.20 going to be pushed so that I can get the IPv6 working again?

Read msg #208, just above your post.  Version 4.5.8.20 is not being distributed network wide at this point in time, but should begin distribution fairly soon, unless of course any unforeseen issues come to light in the next few days.