cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

timlocke
I plan to stick around

@VivienM      I think that one of the good things that has come out of the slow use of IPV6 is that 90% of the 'net users  will use IPV6  without ever having to think about it.   The ISPs will provide a prefix, the gateways or CPE routers will do SLAAC/DHCP6 and all the gazillions of Windows machines will just start to 'prefer' IPV6 and use it where a remote site uses it.  I am interested in the techy stuff but I don't care if, for example, the Google owwned services use V6 or V4 as long as they work.

I agree with some other posters that sooner rather than later the standard firewalls and other security software will have to fully support IPV6 automatically which hopefully will require invisible changes (invisible to the human user) to the host OS/router  firmware and ISP gear. 

@timlocke wrote:

@VivienM      I think that one of the good things that has come out of the slow use of IPV6 is that 90% of the 'net users  will use IPV6  without ever having to think about it.   The ISPs will provide a prefix, the gateways or CPE routers will do SLAAC/DHCP6 and all the gazillions of Windows machines will just start to 'prefer' IPV6 and use it where a remote site uses it.  

The gazillions of Windows machines, Macs, iOS devices, etc. will migrate very transparently, absolutely. This mechanism to use DHCP6 to allocate a subnet to a residential network seems to work very well...

It's the other things that worry me. The ebook readers, smart TVs, 'wifi-enabled' appliances, game consoles, etc. The only way to keep those working transparently for the 90% of net users is for both 1) those devices to continue to get IPv4 connectivity (through carrier-grade NATs if need be) and 2) the servers they communicate with (i.e. Netflix, PSN, etc) to remain accessible through IPv4.

Now, I don't claim to be an 'ordinary' residential user, but I did a little inventory of my devices:

- Windows/Macs - fine, obviously

- iOS devices - fine

- printer - surprisingly, supports IPv6

- Synology NAS - fine

- LG 2011 bluray player - no IPv6 that I can see

- LG 2012 smart TV - no IPv6 that I can see

- PS3 - no IPv6 that I can see

- Canon digital camera - not sure how to check

- Kobo Aura - no IPv6 that I can see 

- 2 Harmony hubs - not sure how to check 

That's a lot of IPv4 in my future... 

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@VivienM wrote:

This mechanism to use DHCP6 to allocate a subnet to a residential network seems to work very well...

What concerns me is the stability of the IPv6 addresses.  Currently, the IPv4 address Rogers provides changes so seldom that it might as well be static and the host name, based on MAC addresses, will change only if you change the modem or firewall.  With this, I have a DNS alias that converts my own domain name to the long Rogers host name.  On IPv6, I currently have my own /56 prefix and the DNS contains the addresses within that prefix.  If the IPv6 prefix gets tied to the modem & firewall MAC addresses, then that's great.  If not, then it might be a problem for DNS.

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

Well, the issue of the DPC-3825 not supporting IPV6 is rather interesting.  That's basically forced obsolescence I would think.  Why should the customer have to pick up the bill for that one?  If Rogers intention is to go IPV6 and force all of the obsolete modems out of use, perhaps they should be picking up the bill for that.  I would send a pm to @CommunityHelps looking for clarification on the issue.  I suspect this decision is up a couple of pay grade levels.

Well, I called Rogers this morning and wound up talking to retentions.  My plans stay pretty much the same, I get a new modem and my bill drops by about $50/month.  I'll be walking my dog over to the Rogers store shortly, to swap modems.

Vikentieff
I plan to stick around

So is there a delay on .20's rollout? I see some people here got it 17hrs ago...

It usually takes a few days to roll out an update across the entire network.

@RogersDave is there a chance that the IPV6 DNS issue is common to the CGN3 and CGN3ACR, which would require an update to those modems as well?  And, if so, what are the chances that the latency issue, which is also common to those modems can be taken care of at the same time?

@Datalink I do not see an option to override the DNSv6 in the CGN3 either. I don’t have a CGN3ACR to test at the moment but I assume it is the same. This will be raised as an enhancement request accordingly.

Regarding the latency concerns, I have no information as it is outside my area of focus. I can try to find out but it will take some time.

JKnott

@JKnott wrote:
Well, I called Rogers this morning and wound up talking to retentions.  My plans stay pretty much the same, I get a new modem and my bill drops by about $50/month.  I'll be walking my dog over to the Rogers store shortly, to swap modems.

I now have the Rocket modem installed and getting IPv6 addresses.  However, one issue I've noticed is I can't port forward SSH (port 22).  I assume Rogers is using this for remote management.  If so, that's unusual, as in large networks, management is normally done via a separate VLAN.  I was able to port forward IMAPS without problem.

BTW, is it just me or is this site sometimes a real pain to post to?  I often find when I try to post I get to a screen with an activity indicator, but go no further.

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

@JKnott wrote:
BTW, is it just me or is this site sometimes a real pain to post to?  I often find when I try to post I get to a screen with an activity indicator, but go no further.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It seems to go into a redirect loop and never recovers.

@JKnott wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

I now have the Rocket modem installed and getting IPv6 addresses.  However, one issue I've noticed is I can't port forward SSH (port 22).  I assume Rogers is using this for remote management.  If so, that's unusual, as in large networks, management is normally done via a separate VLAN.  I was able to port forward IMAPS without problem.

Are you using the CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode? If so... that port 22 issue (which is news to me) might be another argument for bridging it. 

And yes, logging in to the forums can be a challenge due to redirect loops. My usual approach is to log in to My Rogers in one tab, and THEN use the forums in another tab. That seems to avoid the need for most of the problematic redirection...

JKnott

VivienM wrote: Are you using the CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode? If so... that port 22 issue (which is news to me) might be another argument for bridging it. 

Yes, at the moment I'm in gateway mode.  I was previously running Linux as my firewall/router, but I have to update it to work with dhcpv6-pd, before going back to bridging mode.

JKnott wrote:

I now have the Rocket modem installed and getting IPv6 addresses.  However, one issue I've noticed is I can't port forward SSH (port 22).  

I have never heard of that issue. However, I notice that your modem is still running firmware 4.4.8.16 after swapping your DPC3825.

Give it a few days and it will get upgraded to 4.5.8.16 or newer. If you still have this issue after that, I will investigate.

JKnott

One other issue is "Multiple SSID Settings".  On other access points I've worked with, that means multiple SSIDs on the same access point, with different VLANs.  It could also be local LAN vs Guest access.  However, on this Rocket it appears to only mean different SSIDs on each band with no provision for VLANs or guest WiFi.  I also don't see anyway for a guest WiFi to be allowed only Internet access.  These have been common features for years.  For example, I have a TP-Link access point, which I can configure for multiple VLANs and SSIDs, with one SSID per VLAN.  I bought it over 4 years ago.

Is there something I'm missing?

Nope.  The guest account can only be accessed by using the USB setup key, or by Tech Support.  The multiple SSIDs, which I believe are still in the firmware can only be accessed by Tech Support.  So, you can can call Tech Support to access either one for you and make the changes that you would like.  Personal opinion, for anyone requiring guest accounts or multiple SSIDs, you're better off buy a router which can provide those functions.  That you have full access and control over them. 

JKnott

Funny thing.  I looked into that USB key that came with the Rocket and found it's for the Cisco modem I just took back!  Good to see the people at Rogers are on their toes!  😉

That key has been around for a while.  I personally don't recommend using it as I managed to bork a serviceable CGN3 just by attempting to use it as an experiment one day.  Apparently it works, but in the words of the CSR that I was talking with at the time, "throw it out", and I do happen to agree with that.   What I found is that the changes that it made were outside of the factory reset capabilities, which at the time turned out to be a pain.  Maybe it works brilliantly with a Cicso modem and is supposed to work with the Hitron's as well, but I don't think many people have had much use or success with it. 

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

That key has been around for a while.  I personally don't recommend using it as I managed to bork a serviceable CGN3 just by attempting to use it just as an experiment.  Apparently it works, but in the words of the CSR that I was talking with at the time, "throw it out", and I do happen to agree with that.   What I found is that the changes that it made were outside of the factory reset capabilities, which at the time turned out to be a pain.  Maybe it works brilliantly with a Cicso modem and is supposed to work with the Hitron's as well, but I don't think many people have had much use or success with it. 

I've had a coupld of them before and I usually just scratch "Rogers" off and reformat them.

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status with CGN3

howi
I plan to stick around

@DaveM,

I am just here at my folks and checking on the CGN3 (firmware 4.2.4.6)… IPv6 gateway support shows up after the factory reset.

So far my observations… It will not accept DNSv6 addresses like the CGN3ACSMR in the maunal settings. Moreover, if it uses the manual settings with the v4 resolvers, the gateway would not work with the IPv6 routing as well. As soon as I turn DNS settings back to auto, routing is back to normal.

On firmware 4.5.8.20 you can set the guest network account up in the GUI, so no more USB sticks, or calling Rogers to set it up. They also let you select 40Mhz or 20Mhz Channel Width on the 2.4Ghz Network, however 99% of people should leave it on 20Mhz. You can Google why selecting 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz is a bad idea.

VivienM
I'm an advisor

@gp-se wrote:

On firmware 4.5.8.20 you can set the guest network account up in the GUI, so no more USB sticks, or calling Rogers to set it up. They also let you select 40Mhz or 20Mhz Channel Width on the 2.4Ghz Network, however 99% of people should leave it on 20Mhz. You can Google why selecting 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz is a bad idea.

Call me cynical, but I feel like 99% of people who discover the setting will end up setting it at 40MHz... 

(... even though, as you correctly pointed out, it is a bad idea)