Rogers Hitron Modem - web interface freezes when add MAC filiter address.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Hitron Modem - web interface freezes when add MAC filiter address.

I want to start a new thread regarding the issue cause every other thread that I read doesn't seem to have a solution for it... I know that in the last 3 months, the router has updated itself for the new software ending in ver .27. The problem is that I cannot go into the wireless filter contract and add a new MAC address for my devices. I have 12 devices already there and would like to add a few more. However, everytime I put the information and hit save, it spins on "pending... saving changes" and it renders to site unusable after 2 min. In order to get back into the the system, I have to reboot the modem. I don't think it's software related, because this was also happening on ver .21 and .22. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion? Buying a bridge router is not something I want to look at.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Hitron Modem - web interface freezes when add MAC filiter address.

Hey @Jo99,

Thanks for making a conscious effort in locating a solution before posting your query!

I can definitely understand the need to add more than 12 devices via MAC filtering. I've come across a few customers in the past with this similar issue. Based from these experiences, it seems to be a limitation of the router itself. 

Although a third party solution is not what you're looking for, that may be the only route to go for your specific needs. 

I'll tag in a few of our Resident Experts for more feedback. Community, feel free to chime in :).

@Gdkitty @Datalink @gp-se

Regards,

RogersCilio 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jo99 I would suggest going with a third party router, the two I would recommend are the TP-Link Archer 3150, or the ASUS 1900P Best Buy exclusive.

The TP-Link is a 4x4 MU-MIMO Router, the 4x4 antenna design makes a noticeable difference in WiFi performance, and is what I currently run.

The Asus 1900P is also a good choice, but is only 3x3 antenna design, I had one for a while before I got my TP-Link. It worked okay, but the TP-Link has much better range and WiFi performance.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The average user must be getting a bit tired of hearing - get a third party router 

The reality is that if you need to do anything beyond basic filtering, basic router settings and providing WIFI, these gateways are highly limited - basically because most users don't need the advanced features and many will never even touch them once set up, except when they don't work and they get directed by support.

Wish Rogers would consider a router only version of the Hitron rather than forcing us that need anything beyond basic - where we now just bridge the modem and take the gateway router/wifi out of the picture.

Oh well, at least we can bridge and we also want low cost equipment and Internet rates, so if we want advanced features, we have to move to higher level 3rd party solutions.

Consider the additional support for Rogers if they did add more feature sets - 3rd party carriers provide mostly only modems and some simple gateways and have you purchase a router add-on - saves them support costs keeping their costs down.

To the OP - I too agree - what you describe, would suggest a router - if you describe your full needs, someone here can provide you suggested market routers.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the feedbacks.... It is extremely disappointing to hear the limitation of the device. I have an old linksys wireless router (to use with the old motorola surfboard) that I use upstairs to connect to a desktop. I guess Rogers don't expect people to max out connecting more than 12 devices wirelessly... Thanks again for the feedback! 🙂
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

BS wrote:

Edit to my post - 

Wish Rogers would consider a router (meant modem only ) version of the Hitron rather than forcing us that need anything beyond basic - where we now just bridge the modem and take the gateway router/wifi out of the picture.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jo99  That is exactly the issue - your old Linksys router has more management features, although less power, and wifi handling, but user management is better than the Hitron and other standard gateways provided by Internet providers.  Except like I said - 3rd party providers of service just give you a modem, support only the modem and you buy your own router designed to meet your best needs - it does mean you will need to purchase 3rd party support if it is technologically beyond you.  In the original days of Internet, you always had your own routers and switches and firewall boxes - all you got was a modem managed by the provider - if it didn't work, they just fixed it back end, or they sent a tech out and they replaced and tested it.  Nothing required on the user end, but plug it in, and sometimes reboot.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So, what I am understanding is to add multiple devices (more then 12), I will need a router. If this is the case then should I turn off the modem's wifi and use the router's own software? Or can I have the wireless device connect to the modem and have extra devices connect to the router? I have an old router set up this way and it's set up as a bridge but not sure how to connect device to that wirelessly. Although, I really haven't looked deeper into it as it was used to connect a desktop for the bedroom.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS wrote:

Wish Rogers would consider a router only version of the Hitron rather than forcing us that need anything beyond basic - where we now just bridge the modem and take the gateway router/wifi out of the picture.

I just wish they would consider any alternative to the Hitron. I have been told that hitron offered a cheap deal and rogers chose cheap over a quality experience for the customer. There are better quality modems on the market. As for a stand alone modem option, some have been asking for this for years with no response from rogers. It really is a sad state of affairs to have to put with the equipment provided by rogers as well as the firmware and/or software. It is no different with their cable boxes!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jo99 it depends on what you are trying to do.  

If you want to use the router's wifi, and still have access to the modem's ethernet ports that would require running the modem in Gateway mode which is its default mode, and then running the router in Access Point mode, connected to the modem via ethernet.  In Access Point mode, the router will act as an ethernet and wifi access point, essentially running with the DHCP and firewall disabled, but set to run wifi networks as required.  There are two ways to do this, thru the routers interface, if an Access Point mode is available, or manually, disabling the firewall and DHCP and then connecting a modem LAN port to one of the router's LAN ports.  

If you want to use the router as the second half of a wifi bridge which then connects via ethernet to other devices you would run the modem in Gateway mode and set the router up in Bridge mode if that was available in the user interface.  For manual mode, I believe that you would turn off the DHCP and firewall, set up the wifi and then connect the other ethernet devices to the router.  I've never had to run a router in Bridge mode, so, I believe that it can be done manually, but, don't quote me on that one.  

Give either one of those a go and let me know if you have any questions or difficulties. 

Fwiw, if your router is older than four or five years old, have a look at the manufacturers support page for the router to determine if the router's firmware is up to date.  If there hasn't been any updates provided beyond two to three years, I would say that its time to park the router and buy a new one, or, look at third party firmware to see if the router is supported.  I wouldn't recommend using an older router that has old firmware, due to the number of security issues that have come up over the last two to three years which has forced several companies to revisit the firmware for numerous routers.