Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Network Architect
Network Architect

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@daveinsurgent wrote:

This is fair on the Wi-Fi side, though I don't care so much about that. I mean even from a wired-router standpoint it seems inferior and unstable.

On the WiFi side, I think the fact that the R7800 has external antennas plays a big role.

On the wired side, this is not an apple to apple comparison. If I look at resource usage on the gateway, the computations required for the eCM part of the device are massive with such a large spectrum (32 DOCSIS 3.0 QAM channels + 1 DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel).

I would however like to know clearly where you see the CODA-4582 cuts short in wired performance compared to your R7800. Perhaps there are areas of improvement to explore there.

--Dave

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, no doubt there are issues that need to be addressed.  Only thing that can be done is to bring them up and document them so that they can be addressed.  There are some issues such as the slow data rates experienced by some users which is particularly frustrating to see.  That requires someone with system access to work thru all of the permutations and combinations of CMTS to modem equipment and look at any noise ingress between the two.  This is probably the top issue that I would like to see addressed.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I mean, right now my modem is operating but Rogers tech support can't connect to it. I have to power cycle it as per their request. That's in Bridge mode, with nothing really running heavy.

I do think you make a fair point about the modem part, I assumed this was dedicated hardware.

I think the big thing for me is wired performance in non-bridge mode doesn't hit 960, but maybe hovers around 780-800.  Except the CODA does not do any SQM or other work it seems, because bufferbloat is terrible. I put an R7000 behind it, and was able to hide 960 with it's NAT cheating but still bad bufferbloat. So now I have an R7800, and I have A+/A for all report scores, and can hit same speeds as CODA-as-router.

You're fair to say it is not apples to apples, if only because I know *exactly* what is going on inside my R7800, but the CODA is a black box. So we use bridge mode to reduce black box surface area.  You can even see the web GUI on the CODA is sluggish and weird. LuCI is instant fast, and I seem to have no uptime issues.

But it seems like a shame to squander such otherwise decent hardware to act as a bridge only modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

RogersDave wrote:

Perhaps there are areas of improvement to explore there.

On a broader scale, one significant area of improvement seems to be exposing to subscribers more wired and wireless feature controls, usually exposed through a typical standalone router GUI. This way users can experiment with changing various features and observe the performance impact. Your own feedback will become a lot more diverse as you expose more controls to the users. They in turn would feel more satisfied by seen CODA has similar features to standalone routers. Its like adding a special engine sound to Ferrari - drivers don't suspect its accomplished by the car computer, instead they feel the vehicle has exceptional engine power. I think degree of satisfaction with Rogers equipment will grow with exposing more controls, and your collected feedback too.

I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding my wifi issues wherein I lose the ability to connect to the CODA wifi after some time ( I have to reboot the CODA to re-establish the ability to connect to wifi).

This is what I see from my wireless device after a reboot:

Wifi1.JPG

And this is after some time:

Wifi2.JPG

Any idea on why this is happening on the CODA? I did not have any of these issues with the older black modem/router. Thanks in advance.

I've Been Around

I need to reconnect my wireless printer to the network created by the Rogers Field Tech and I can't establish a connection.  I was told to make sure that WPS was enabled/turned on on my modem but when I went to the IP Address provided to do so it wouldn't load...any other suggestions?

Dave

I've Been Around

This router is terrible folks. Wifi is shaky, can't stream to tv with Chromecast well. Can't really do anything well outside of a wired connection. So shaky. Question is, if I put this in bridge mode and buy a good router will my problems be solved? If so what router do you guys recommend under $250? I have gigabit speeds and want to take full advantage.
I've Been Around

I recently got Rogers last FRIDAY. We received the CODA-4582, and have had absolutely nothing but PROBLEMS with this modem. Devices do not connect to it, even my xbox one, which is WIRED, cannot connect to the internet?

I regret switching to rogers SO MUCH.  

Is there anyone who has router/modem recommendations, please let me know because I cannot stand this dumb router. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Sony17 wrote:
what router do you guys recommend under $250? I have gigabit speeds and want to take full advantage.

The rule of thumb is to read at least 5 pages back in this thread and also use Search forum feature before asking such questions. If anything, it will show respect to other forum members.

I don't have reasons to believe the router hardware of the modem is terrible as you said. I do think however, its firmware can be seriously improved, and more standard WiFi router controls exposed to the user in the modem UI. Not sure why they are hidden now, likely because any manual changes in these controls would reveal a lot more FW problems. Or, because target customer base is looking mostly for "Set it and forget it" easy button. However, using your own router with plenty of controls presumes no Easy Button is expected anyway.

@napolneon wrote:

Is there anyone who has router/modem recommendations?

Did you try anything beyond hooking equipment together? For example, you can login to the modem UI as per its Manual and setup connection to xbox manually. You can also signup for  trial firmware.

I've Been Around

I have this modem and today tried to attach a USB flash drive but it's not recognized.  Contacted the technical support and was told its disabled by the manufacturer.  Anyone able to use USB port? Totally disappointed as I was looking it to use as the NAS port.  @RogersDave do you have any update on this?