Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

So here is the update I called them and apparently they didn't give me the gigabit, so after about 6 phone calls I received it.  As for the signals the tech guy did check that and said he was happy with them.

When I did the speed test I was at about 850 for speed up from my 200 max, so I am happy.

Thank you Data

Mike

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks to both Huckleberry and GP-SE.  I changed the channel to the 149-153-157-161 option and now my WIFI signal strength is showing full bars.  I also changed my security to WPA2 and AES.

Any recommendations on the Wireless mode option?  Right now, it shows 802.11 a/n/ac mixed.  The other options are 802.11a or 802.11n or 802.11a/n mixed or 802.11 ac only.

Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

My suggestion would be to leave it at default a/n/ac mixed. That way you have all devices covered both old and new.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The more intelligent selection, if it was available, would be an 802.11n/ac category.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist as an option.  802.11a was ratified in 1999 and only support 54 Mb/s.  So, although its still an option, it should probably be phased out.  

Just to note, the upper 5 Ghz channels, 149 to 161 are allowed to run at a 1 watt output.  The lower channels 36 to 48 are restricted to 50 or 200 milli-watts depending on when the device was approved by Industry Canada.  200 mw is the latest approved maximum.  The inbetween channels are Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) which appear to range between 200 mw and 1 watt, subject to Industry Canada RSS-247 limitations to reduce the output power or antenna output where required. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chemical1 just to note, Rogers has been having problems with its provisioning system over the last couple of months.  Maybe this was one of those problems. Plan was activated but the modem wasn't provisioned properly.  That never crossed my mind as usually the customers who have this issue can't use their modem at all, so, this might be a slight variation of the problem.  Hopefully its resolved at this point. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

The more intelligent selection, if it was available, would be an 802.11n/ac category.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist as an option.  802.11a was ratified in 1999 and only support 54 Mb/s.  So, although its still an option, it should probably be phased out.  

Just to note, the upper 5 Ghz channels, 149 to 161 are allowed to run at a 1 watt output.  The lower channels 36 to 48 are restricted to 50 or 200 milli-watts depending on when the device was approved by Industry Canada.  200 mw is the latest approved maximum.  The inbetween channels are Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) which appear to range between 200 mw and 1 watt, subject to Industry Canada RSS-247 limitations to reduce the output power or antenna output where required. 

Does this mean that I am consuming more electricity by using a higher channel?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, but we're talking milli-watts here.  A CODA-4582U can run double the power as you move from the lower channels, 36 to 46, up to channels 149 to 161.  I'd have to dig into the Emission Designations to understand the exact transmission types.  I suspect the chart below shows both beacon and broadcast transmission power levels.  In the case of the 5 Ghz for example, the additional power in the upper frequency range, running up to about 180 to 200 mw is probably much less than the standby power for some of your household devices.    

Power output for the CODA-4582U as shown on Industry Canada's site;

CODA-4582U power output.png

If my math is correct, that additional 180 mw amounts to .013kWh/month which wouldn't be noticeable on your power bill. 

One interesting point is that the power output doesn't come anywhere near the maximum 1 watt allowable limit at the upper 5 Ghz channels.  That might be due to antenna output limits which are also stipulated by Industry Canada.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Datalink wrote:

One interesting point is that the power output doesn't come anywhere near the maximum 1 watt allowable limit at the upper 5 Ghz channels.  That might be due to antenna output limits which are also stipulated by Industry Canada.

The 1 W output is EIRP (effective isotropic radiated power). 400 mW would be equal to roughly 26 dBm. With a 4 dBi antenna, the total effective output would be 30 dBm (1W).

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Yes, but we're talking milli-watts here.  A CODA-4582U can run double the power as you move from the lower channels, 36 to 46, up to channels 149 to 161.  I'd have to dig into the Emission Designations to understand the exact transmission types.  I suspect the chart below shows both beacon and broadcast transmission power levels.  In the case of the 5 Ghz for example, the additional power in the upper frequency range, running up to about 180 to 200 mw is probably much less than the standby power for some of your household devices.    

Power output for the CODA-4582U as shown on Industry Canada's site;

CODA-4582U power output.png

If my math is correct, that additional 180 mw amounts to .013kWh/month which wouldn't be noticeable on your power bill. 

Thanks.  Good to know my hydro bill won't be affected much.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I doubt that it will move the last right hand digit of the monthly power consumption figure.