Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@nav2004 wrote:

Gateway function on Hitron CODA4582

I recently got and setup the ASUS RT-AC86U wireless router. But removed it from the setup as i was not happy with how it was not fully showing the connected USB HDD contents consistently.

So I put the Rogers modem out of Gateway mode. But i had to call customer support and they did it remotely as i could not even access the admin page at the default ip address.

After reviewing further for alternatives to ASUS router that I got, I don't see much other better alternatives for the $250 price range for features that i want (longer wifi range - 2200 sq ft house, parental controls, usb ports for within home hdd data sharing, malware protection, multiple function modes (Access point, Repeater, Router).

So I want to give the ASUS router another chance. But this time, just wondering if I can continue to use the CODA like as it is now, without putting it in bridge mode by just taking the output from one of the Ethernet ports of CODE and supplying as input in the WAN port of the ASUS router and then setup the ASUS router wifi SSID to a different one ?

I recall trying this with my older unused ASUS-RTN13U router and it had not worked. I assumed it was due to issues with that router.

@nav2004

If you want a really good WiFi Router I would recommend the TP Link Archer C3150, I have one and get excellent speed/signal throughout my house (2300 sq feet). I have tried MANY routers, and the TP-Link was the only one that I can max out my connection over WiFI (850mb/s on a speediest). 

However if you keep your ASUS then you need to log in to the modem and put it in bridge mode, then connect your ASUS. You could call tech support and ask them to put the modem into bridge mode for you if you aren't familiar. Keeping the CODA in gateway mode and connecting the Asus will cause a double nat, as well as other issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nav2004 you can do exactly as you have outlined, which is to run the modem in Gateway mode with the RT-AC86U in Access Point mode.

To do that, connect one of the modem's LAN ports to the 86U's WAN port, as is normally done. Leave the modem running in Gateway mode.  It will provide the DHCP services to the network, supplying all of the LAN IP addresses.

With a pc connected to one of the 86Us LAN ports, log into the router, which should be at 192.168.50.1 for the 86U.  Set the router up as per your requirements and when that is complete, switch the router into Access Point mode.  To do that navigate to the 86U's ADMINISTRATION .... OPERATION MODE tab. Select the Access Point mode and save the changes.  When that is complete, log into the 86U again and run a reboot.

Depending on the distance between the modem and router, you might have to shut down the modem's wifi.  If the two devices are separated by some distance, such as across the house, then its your choice to run both devices or just the 86U.  Our 86U is located at the one end of the house and provides coverage to the back of the house, upstairs and downstairs as well, so, I have no requirement to run the modem's wifi.

The disadvantage here is that the 86U is far superior to modem in terms of its LAN capabilities, so, letting the modem run the network is less than ideal.

For the problem with the USB drive, consider formatting the drive in an Ext 2, 3, or 4 format.  I'd start with the Ext 2 format, set the modem to run in Bridge mode with the 86U in full Router mode, as one would normally run the combination of a modem and router.  See if the Ext 2 format resolves the file problem that you were experiencing previously.  If that doesn't work, in terms of the file situation on the USB drive, move onto an Ext 3 and possibly Ext 4 format.  I think that the final answer might be to run a NAS via ethernet instead of using a USB drive.  That seems to be the common advice for problems when attempting to run a USB drive as a NAS device.

Here's a reference for format programs that support linux ext formats.

http://www.techovity.com/how-to-create-ext2ext3-linux-partition-from-windows/

I would also ensure that the 86U is running up to date firmware.  Asus has been rewriting the firmware for most of their routers, so perhaps there has been a change for the better in terms of the usb performance.  The latest firmware version can be found here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the Windows 10 64 Bit bit version (they're all the same end product) to a folder of your choice.  Extract the contents and then run the update function located in ADMINISTRATION .... FIRMWARE UPGRADE .... Manual firmware update: Upload (function).  If you happen to see a yellow flashing exclamation mark at the top of the user interface, that's an automated update function.  Select that exclamation mark, which also serves as a link, to start the automated update function.

If you are updating from the older generation .380.xxxx firmware version, when the update is finished, log into the router and run a factory reset.  After the reset, set the router up from scratch, don't use a backup settings file as that file will not be applicable to this firmware version, which is a .384.xxxx version.

If you still have problems with the usb function, signup for a freebie account at the smallnetbuilders.com site and post any questions you might have in the following Asus forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Hopefully you will receive adequate responses to your questions.

Here's an interesting observation regarding IPV6 for a RT-AC68U running in Access Point mode. If this is an issue for the 68U, I would expect the same issue for the 86U:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-ap-mode-ipv6-not-working-over-wi-fi.47880/

To log into the modem, use 192.168.100.1 to access the login page. That address works for both Gateway and Bridge modes. The user credentials are:

Username: cusadmin
Password: Your wifi passphrase

To log into the modem thru the router, use the same address and credentials. You don't have to make any changes to the hardware connections.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you @gp-se

I read through some reviews for TP Link Archer C3150 and decided to give the ASUS RT-AC86U another chance as it seems to have a little more powerfull processor compared to Archer and I think internal memory too.

@Datalink Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I agree, it would be a waste of money to use AC86U as an Acces point. I conincidentally did find snbforums yesterday when searching for ASUS User forums and have posted my question there. Someone there is suggesting Samba protocol, so trying that out as SMB1 is disabled in Windows 10.

I did plug the router back yesterday into the mix and give it a second try. Before plugging the 2 HDDs I first deleted the 4-5 files ASUS Aidisk creates. I was then able to see files from both HDDs. Issue is that I still cannot map a drive letter to these. I can only add them as a Network location using ftp://192.168.50.1 address it assigns and a user id I created. I tried the Samba route and that just does not give me a path to the root folder of both drives, it just lists all the folders on the root drive of both HDDs.

Another issue I ran into last night was I was not able to connec to a Brother multifunction printer I got just 2-3 days before this router. It is MFC-J5830DW. I was able to install the driver and connect my windows 10 laptop to it and had printed just 2 pages for testing. Then last night when trying to connect, it showed printer as offline. I went through some FAQ on Brother site and it asked to uninstall and re-install the driver and now during the installation it cannot even wirelessly locate the printer !! The printer itself is connect to the SSID fine.

Only thing that has changed in my setup is using the ASUS Router for Wifi versus CODA-4582

I might have to prove it is the router that is causing the issue by putting CODA back in Gateway mode and seeing if the laptop can now find the printer.

It just frustrates me how the technological ecosystem does not all work well together causing un-necessary returns of products. I really wanted to keep this printer and router, if all things work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nav2004, hopefully you will receive a usefull answer for the USB drive on the SNB forum.  I don't think I can help with that one as I don't use a USB drive on my 86U.  You might want to consider loading Merlin's Asuswrt to see if that changes anything, and, with that loaded, you can also post a question in the Merlin Asuswrt sub-forum.

Fwiw, the firmware rewrite that Asus has embarked upon has caused issues from day one. Its been less than a year since that rewrite has been underway, and Asus has been addressing those issues as they have come up. Perhaps this is another problem caused by the rewrite?

For the printer, try this:

1. Run a google search for: igmp for wifi printer

Have a look at some of the threads from that search. You might find an answer from that group such as the following in item 2.

2. Have a look at the following post from that search:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/HowTo-Fix-printer-offline-problem-by-d...

Asus makes this easy to do. Log into the router, navigate to Wireless .... Professional and Disable IGMP snooping if it's enabled. Save the setting and reboot the router.

3. If the printer is close enough to the router, connect the printer via ethernet.  Underneath the top section of the printer is an ethernet and USB connector.  The ethernet cable routes into the ethernet port from the backside of the printer and around to the front left side.  I'd use ethernet, personal choice.  That is exactly what I've done with our Samsung wireless printer so that I wouldn't have to worry about which wifi network (2.4 or 5 Ghz) anyone is using.  By using an ethernet connection, you wouldn't have to load the USB printer service in the router, which you would need if you selected the USB port instead.  In this configuration the printer just looks like another ethernet connected device.  I suspect that you would still have to disable IGMP snooping on the wifi side for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  Fwiw, I assign a fixed LAN IP address to the printer.  I've never had an issue with this configuration.

At the end of the day, if you're close enough for the laptop, printer and router to communicate with each other, and you still have an issue then the problem is a setting in the router or some protocol that Brother has chosen to use for wifi communications.  It looks like Brother Technical Support isn't too helpful.  I think that going the ethernet route might solve those problems fairly quickly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you so much @Datalink

Was finally able to get the HDD setup the way I wanted.

Had to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 laptop and also had to enable guest login under Samba share on the ASUS router. If you don't, u can only map individual folders within the HDD, not the root folder. After I did this, I was able to now map a drive letter. As it is all within the home network, I am ok going this route.

Ah the Brother printer saga. Got on support with them and first thing I find out it is all via online chat only, no phone support. Before even contacting them, I had temporarily put CODA-4582 in Gateway mode this morning and shut off ASUS router to eliminate router being an issue. But that did not help, the printer driver installation was not able to find the printer. I then put ASUS Router back and disabled gateway modes. After few tries and frustrations, the printer driver installation was finally able to find the printer when i entered the direct ip address assigned a few times. Yet when it came to printing it was showing it as offline.

So the online chat rep made me do quite a few things and that did not help. I was not able to open the printer ip address in browser nor was able to ping that ip. Both the laptop and printer were connected to the same 2.4Ghz SSID.

What I was finally told to do was to disable Windows Defender firewall and then the communication was established and it printed. Scanning with their software was still not working, but I was able to use Irfanview which lets you select from few different TWAIN sources for this printer and one of them worked.

What irritated me was that the rep was not able to answer how to enable firewall and still have the windows 10 machine and printer communicate. Says to call Microsoft !! Like they are going to help me. Brother tech support says we dont know much about Firewall and yet they sell these Networked printers !!

So I left that chat and googled a bit and tried this

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ads1000w_us&faqid=faq00002597_002

Adding those ports did not help, so I have left Defender off on Private Network as the ASUS Router anyway has firewall. Do you see any issues with this ?

I was finally able to figure access the USB and LAN ports hidden beneath the scanner. Was trying to open it the wrong way and was not able to. The instructions they had in manual was not very clear. I put my old USB cable in it for now. I was not sure if LAN cable would work, thought that is to be used to connect to Router and not the Ethernet port of Laptop, would this work just like a USB cable ?

My printer is no where near the router, but if Ethernet cable can work by connecting it to laptop, then will keep that as backup as well. This printer cannot work with Wireless and Wired connections at the same time, have to choose one or the other from the printer on screen settings.

I will see how things go over next few days before my 30 day return deadline for both the router and printer.

I was also able to enable OpenVPN on the ASUS and did a test connection using my Android device over mobile data and can happily access the Samba share server and see the contents using X-Plore app. This I feel is better over using the AiCloud, though AiCloud app had nice interface.

Just checked IGMP snooping was already disabled in the router, so it might be a windows defender issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

@nav2004 wrote:

What I was finally told to do was to disable Windows Defender firewall and then the communication was established and it printed. Scanning with their software was still not working, but I was able to use Irfanview which lets you select from few different TWAIN sources for this printer and one of them worked.

What irritated me was that the rep was not able to answer how to enable firewall and still have the windows 10 machine and printer communicate. Says to call Microsoft !! Like they are going to help me. Brother tech support says we dont know much about Firewall and yet they sell these Networked printers !!

So I left that chat and googled a bit and tried this

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ads1000w_us&faqid=faq00002597_002

Adding those ports did not help, so I have left Defender off on Private Network as the ASUS Router anyway has firewall. Do you see any issues with this ?

I was finally able to figure access the USB and LAN ports hidden beneath the scanner. Was trying to open it the wrong way and was not able to. The instructions they had in manual was not very clear. I put my old USB cable in it for now. I was not sure if LAN cable would work, thought that is to be used to connect to Router and not the Ethernet port of Laptop, would this work just like a USB cable ?

My printer is no where near the router, but if Ethernet cable can work by connecting it to laptop, then will keep that as backup as well. This printer cannot work with Wireless and Wired connections at the same time, have to choose one or the other from the printer on screen settings.

I will see how things go over next few days before my 30 day return deadline for both the router and printer.

I'm not a Windows user, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Is Windows Defender a firewall?  Or is it something else?  I get confused by Microsoft branding.

On my Linux machine's firewall, I have enabled services "ipp" and "ipp-client" and can access my Brother MFC-L2720DW through the wired ethernet connection.  I suspect only ipp-client was needed.  I think that they each mean opening TCP and UDP port 631.  I have no idea if "discovery" works since I allocated a fixed IP address.

Here's something about IPP in Windows: https://superuser.com/questions/300986/ipp-printing-from-windows-7-ultimate

I don't actually know if IPP is the most effective way to talk from your Windows box (boxes?) to your printer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nav2004 here is some additional points to have a look at:

1.  From Merlins's Asuswrt changelog for firmware version .384.4 dated 16 Mar 2018 comes the following:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog-382

CHANGED: Samba protocol support can now be set to SMBv1, SMBv2, or SMBv1 + SMBv2 (the new default).  This will result in a performance drop on all models but the RT-AC86U, but will be more secure.  Ideally, people should change it to SMBv2 only, and then reboot all their client devices to start using only the new protocol.

So, it looks like SMBv2 has been added by Merlin.  It might be worth loading his Asuswrt version and using SMBv2 only for security purposes.  .384.5 is the latest stable version, which is shown in the following thread:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-384-ng-asuswrt-merlin-384-5-is-now-available.46575/

The latest beta version is shown in the following thread:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-asuswrt-merlin-384-6-beta-is-now-available.47772/

2.  For the printer, if you're not using another combination anti-virus/firewall program to protect the pc, fire up Windows Defender and open the Windows Defender Security Center.  At the bottom is a selection to "Allow an app through the firewall".  Follow the bouncing ball on the following popup pages to finally browse to the Brother folder which contains the drivers and associated programs.  You will have to experiment to determine which application requires access thru the firewall.  This all depends on whether or not you use another anti-virus/firewall program on your pc.  Personally I wouldn't run the pc without its own firewall, even with the router's firewall up and running.  Ok, call me paranoid, but, there were recent issues with the Asus app inadvertently allowing external access to the router.  So, once again personal opinion, don't use the Asus app for any purpose, and, use a pc firewall of some type in the event that Asus gets it wrong once again, somewhere down the road. 

3.  For the USB and ethernet connections to the printer, the USB path would work, but, you would probably have to set the printer path in the laptop to either the wifi accessed IP address, or set it to use the USB cable.  I might be wrong, but, I suspect that the printer driver might not find the printer on its own if you do switch paths from wifi to USB and back again.  A simple test will confirm or dispel that idea.  For an ethernet cable connected directly from the laptop, the printer IP address would have to be set in the laptop's printer control IP entry, and you might have to set a default IP address in the laptop, and probably use a cross-over cable when you connect the two devices.  I think this would be a lot of trouble.  Relocating the printer closer to the router, or using a long ethernet cable between the router and printer would probably be a lot easier.  Connecting the printer from the router should be straight forward, accompanied with a static IP address set in the router (for the printer), and then also set in the laptop printer control settings.  Its possible that with a static IP address set thru the router, that the laptop will be able to find the ethernet connected printer without any issues. 

Hope this helps.

Food for thought, are you in a recently built house, as in built in the last 15 to 20 years?  If so, I wonder if it happens to have structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that runs from the basement or utility closet Structured Wiring Cabinet to selected rooms.  Behind any wallplate with a cable or telephone port on it, you might find the remaining cables, waiting for the homeowner to discover them and put them to use.  The cable bundle usually consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat 5e ethernet for data, and one Cat 3 possibly Cat 5e for telephones.  If that cable bundle is installed in your home, it would make this a much simpler task. 

Fwiw, here's the search results for "Samba", as found in Merlin's Asuswrt forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/search/766273/?q=samba&o=date&c[node]=42

You're not the only one to run into the Windows 10 SMBv1 issue, and probably not the last.  Loading Merlin's Asuswrt and enabling SMBv2 might be the quickest way to resolve the security issue with SMBv1. 

I Plan to Stick Around

As the router is new and has 2 years warranty, don't want to mess around with third party firmware which most likely will void the warranty. Maybe a project once I get bored of the stock firmware down the line.

Printer again would not connect and print over wifi in a different login on same PC. I double checked, Windows defender was still off, but could not ping to the ip assigned to the printer. Got fedup and plugged the USB cable to use it and it ended up installing a second brother printer in the Printers and Devices section. And was able to print and scan. Will have to check if the Inbound Port unblocking rule that i added in my account made it to other users on that laptop. I did experiment a bit with Allow an app through the firewall, but could not figure out the exe for brother utilities to add to unblock. Will have to look little more as I don't like to have Defender turned off, even if for Private networks for the reason you described. If the Router firewall goes down, then you have no protection.

So Ethernet cable route will not work. I don't think I have a cross-over cable. Had used once to connect a VOIP box to a router and they look same like Ethernet cable so hard to differentiate. As I have the USB cable from previous printer(when they used to include them and have now cheaped out and don't include one), that path works for wired connections. Yes, unfortunately you can only use Wifi or Wired, but not both. It does allow Wifi and Wifi Direct at the same time, but I could not even connect the laptop and printer using Wifi Direct, so don't have high hopes.

Yes, my home is 12 years old, but builder did not install any Cat 5 cables. Infact, they cheaped out or had a deal with Rogers in that subdivision and did not even put a Telephone jack in the family room where i have my TV and Modem+Router. Makes it tricky to go DSL as you have to first install a Telephone jack, which I attempted, but could not fish wire from basement directly beneath the cable jack. Anyway, I am happy with Rogers so far. Had called techsupport when needed them to put Modem in Gateway mode and got a tech pretty fast. I have the Gigabit, but have not hit speeds above 300 mbs over wifi. Have to test over wired to a laptop that has gigabit lan port. Even 300 mbs is more than enough. What Rogers does not market clearly is that Gigabit is not 1 gbps connection, but rather allows several devices to connect and move heavy volume of data all at the same time without impacting each other. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hitron CODA-4582 - Work VPN Issues

Hi there,

I am having difficulty with my WiFi and work VPN host. I attempt to connect to my work VPN (Cisco client) and my wifi drops out. This happens over and over again and I have read on the forum that it may be a firmware issue? How would I update the firmware and is this the resolution? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Erik

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @ErikH,

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums Smiley Happy.

I rely heavily on my Internet and VPN for work so I know how annoying and inconvenient degraded service can be. If you wish to participate with our firmware trials, please follow the instructions provided on our Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial thread.

Community, please feel free to chime in with support or insight Smiley Happy.

RogersCilio