Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Also you can turn 2.4ghz to only n-mode if you don't have any legacy devices. They won't be able to connect if they are 802.11b or 802.11g

I just upgraded my Internet service today and got the new CODA-4582U modem. Tried to set it up to bridge mode and am experiencing the exact same problem that you described - third party hardware will not work... so frustrating. 

Same issue here... got this CODA modem today and when I put it into bridge mode, my Linksys router would not work... had to reset the CODA to go back to default settings. Very frustrating.

@amarcel, what router do you have?.  Sometimes, when changing modems, you have to run a complete factory reset on the router in order to get the router to work with the new modem.  We've seen that before.  Yes, its a pain to have to reenter the parameters, but, hopefully that will result in a working combination.  Usually from what we've seen, moving from one Hitron modem to another isn't an issue, although with the 4582, there have been issues in the past with DLink routers.  

Edit:  Ok, I see that you're using a Linksys router.  I don't recall Linksys routers proving to be a challenge when connecting to a Hitron modem.  I would flip the modem back into Bridge mode and then, with the router powered up and running, run a factory reset on the router.  

You can log back into the modem when its running in bridge mode by using 192.168.100.1 as the login address.  After logging in, navigate back to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION, and reenable the  Residential Gateway Function.  Save the change and the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact. Running a Factory reset to accomplish the change from Bridge mode to Gateway mode will result in the modem parameters being set to their default values. 

mcmug888
I'm here a lot

Hi amarcel,

Really understand.

Until now my wifi with rogers modem is up and down.

Sometimes 2.4 G download rate is better than 5G.

Hi Datalink,

Is it better for me to set Rogers modem to bridge mode and set up 3rd party router?

"Is it better for me to set Rogers modem to bridge mode and set up 3rd party router?"

Yes.  But, the same can be said for the vast majority of ISP Gateway modems worldwide.  My advice for anyone who relies on wifi is to buy a reasonable router with external antenna.  You don't have to go uber expensive, but at the same time, don't go cheap either.  The one exception to the external antenna recommendation is Ubiquiti UniFi access points.  UniFi users seem to be pretty pleased with those access points from what I've seen.  

https://www.ubnt.com/

If you're having problems with wifi, have a read thru the following post, specifically the section on wifi settings and checking your wifi environment.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Hi there - Thanks for your note, but I am trying to accomplish the opposite of what you described. The new CODA-4582 modem that I got today came with the "home gateway" setting enabled by default, but I actually want to run it on the "bridge mode". When going to 192.168.100.1 and switching the modem setting to "bridge mode", the internet immediately stops working on my Linksys Velop mesh router. I am able to log on the modem and switch it back to "home gateway" so that my router will resume working, but that defeats the purpose, since my goal is to have the modem on "bridge mode" AND get the router to work.  

Yup, understand, just pointing out that you can switch the modem back to Gateway mode without having to run a Factory Reset, which then results in having to reset all of the parameters again, unless you have a saved settings file available to reload.  

I'd kick the modem back into Bridge mode by disabling the Residential Gateway Function, and while the modem is rebooting, start a Factory Reset on the Linksys router.  See if that resolves the problem.  If not, I can only conclude that there might be something unique that the router is doing, or not doing, that prevents it from connecting to the modem.  If that's the case, this will be a pain to resolve as @RogersDave is leaving or has left Rogers for Hitron.  Dave was a Network Engineer who was our primary contact with the engineering staff and out to Hitron.  So, without his expertise and contacts, items like this might become extremely slow to resolve.  I'm really hoping that's not the case and that some enterprising engineer on the Rogers staff will take Dave's place forwarding issue such as this to Hitron. 

On another note, I noticed that my CODA-4582 came with the firmware version 2.0.10.28T2, but it looks like this one is not the most up to date one (it looks like there is a 2.0.10.31 from Nov'17). How should I proceed to ensure that I have the latest firmware version installed? 

I've seen reports in the DSLReports forum indicating that some customers with the 4582 now have .33 loaded, even though they didn't ask for it.  That could mean that .33T3 has been released network wide and is slowly loading on modems across the network.  If you wanted to join the trial firmware version program, have a look at the following post.  The current trial version is .33T3.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/406885#M48841

abcabc
I've been here awhile

AirPlay unusable

I've had CODA-4582 for a week now and everything works OK except for AirPlay to Apple TV, which is unusable. Streaming larger MKV movie files from my laptop to Apple TV used to take around 10s to buffer (using Airport Extreme gen. 5 as the router), now takes a few minutes to buffer with the new Hitron or sometimes simply timeout. And when it does play, it stutters every 10 to 15 minutes and it can completely drop every 30 minutes or so. Extremely slow and unreliable. This is true even when I wired both the laptop and Apple TV to the Hitron with ethernet. While both my laptop and Apple TV only have 100Mp ethernet, it should only take a few seconds to buffer, not minutes. 

Other than AirPlay problems, the Hitron wifi router seems fast. Apple TV can stream from the internet very fast (e.g. movie trailers from Apple server), speedtest.net shows my devices I believe at their max speeds (i.e. 802.11.n devices at around 150 down, 802.11ac devices at around 300 down). So internet speeds are good enough for me. To test local network routing speeds, I used two laptops on wifi (802.11n), play a movie on one laptop using a movie file located on the other laptop (i.e. like a media server set up). It's fast, a large MKV file takes around 3 seconds to buffer. Jumping to different spots of the movie consistently takes 2-3s to buffer, which is good. It's only when streaming to Apple TV via AirPay--either via wifi or ethernet--that it takes minutes to buffer and the playback is unstable. If anyone can suggest settings to change, please let me know, thanks.

abcabc
I've been here awhile

AirPlay experience? 

If you have tried AirPlay via CODA-4582's router, how did it go? How is the speed and reliability for large media files?

emmanuellafleur
I've been around

Hi Guys,

i need some help.

I am trying to set-up my Philips HUE bridge. The bridge is perfectly connected to the network but for some reason my phone is unable to find the bridge. I heard this could be related that Nupnp needs to be supported (Universal Plug and Play).

1) Does the Coda 4582 supports Nupnp
2) If yes but need to enable it, how do we do it?

Thanks for your help and support.

Best regards,

Emmanuel

DRayEdge
I plan to stick around

yeah im one of the people that got 33T3 pushed without manually opting into the beta. this was over a month ago.

Suhaib10
I'm here a lot

Hey guys I was on .33 (part of trial) but i reset my modem and it returned to .28T2, how do i get back to .33 since my wifi is extremely unstable in.28 and was way better on .33.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
You will have to request the fw again from @CommunityHelps

Anu1
I'm here a lot

I've noticed that while using the latest .33T3 trial, my upload would be unstable. It would fluctuate from full speed to low speeds quite often. I recall .29T2 or some prior version being much more stable as a whole for both my upload and download. I frequently upload videos or stream content and I'm just wondering if there is any sort of similar reports in regards to this. I searched through the past few pages of multiple threads and don't seem to see anything about it. My download is fine with the current firmware, but my upload is not.

Thanks

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Anu1 is your streaming protocol RTMP by any chance?

Anu1
I'm here a lot

@DatalinkYes it does use RTMP as the streaming protocol. Is there a known issue with it?

EDIT: I searched around and found this thread and I assume this is why you asked?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Throttling-RTMP-to-Twitch/td-p/403319/page/6

I see that using a VPN is a working workaround. Or is downgrading the router to the older CGN ones a better workaround?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Anu1, I don't believe it makes any difference as to what modem you have from Rogers.  They're either an Intel Puma 6 (CGN3xxx / CGNM-3552 modem) or Intel Puma 7 modem (CODA-4582).  In either case, you will run into the same issue.  Looks like the only way out of this, until this is eventually sorted out, is to run a VPN, or switch to TPIA provider and use a modem that isn't Intel Puma 6 or 7 based.  Have a look at the comment in the other thread by @abelmacneil:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Throttling-RTMP-to-Twitch/m-p/415878#M50330

ScubaMan2017
I've been here awhile
How easy is it to switch it into bridge mode (and let me use my own WiFi/router)? Thanks, @Double_K.