Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@bayden10 wrote:

The firmware that Shaw currently uses with their Hitron Modems would be very helpful I'm sure for many Rogers customers.

Does Shaw use CODA modems as well? Different Hitron modems have varying hardware, and as a result different firmware. I realize you're mostly referring to DMZ implementation. I wonder if you can post some screenshots and give other user mode specifics, possibly also on other subjects, like to what degree traditional Router & WiFi controls are exposed in Shaw branded router & modems UI?

Shaw uses the Hitron CGNM-2250 which is a 28 x 8 modem, very similar to the Hitron CGN3 series modems that Rogers uses. 

One primary difference is that Rogers Hitron modems support two separate IP addresses in Bridge mode, so, an additional IP passthrough isn't required as the Rogers modems and network already support the simultaneous use of two IP addresses.  

If the idea is to run an IP passthrough for the purposes of a separate IP address, while the modem is in Gateway mode, my personal advice would be to buy two routers and run the modem in Bridge mode , or buy a reasonable router that provides the required DMZ performance mode and run the modem in Bridge mode.  It all depends on the requirement for a separate (secondary) IP address.

Having said that, there is a problem on the go at the moment, either with the 4582 modem or with Rogers DHCP system.  At the present time I won't get a secondary IP address through my 4582, which is a very recent development, so, either this is a recent modem firmware issue (.33T3), or a CMTS DHCP issue.  I've already asked @RogersDave to look into this but haven't heard back from him yet. 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Datalink,

Thanks for clarification. When I get 5 Post Edit notifications in the row, I know its Datalink posted something, as you're very careful in wording content. Always a pleasure to read, and useful. Smiley Happy

I didn't try the 2 IP feature yet. Would you care to explain, in what aspects it may be beneficial, and how exactly it works with 2 routers?

Its pretty simple in operation.  Connect two routers or devices of your choice to the modem when the modem is in Bridge mode.  Restart/reboot the modem by pulling the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in to force the restart/reboot.  Each device will be assigned a separate IP address during the modem reboot, both IPV4 and IPV6 that are independent of each other.  In that configuration, you are running two separate networks.

So, you could use that to run two networks for separate users in the home.  If you run a VPN for some purpose, such as video streaming, and you wanted to run the VPN on its own network with its own DNS address, that is one way to accomplish that.  If you wanted to run a separate gaming network, so that you can use UPNP (which I don't recommend) while leaving the other household network on its own without UPNP, that is one way to accomplish it.  So, its a matter of imagination, in terms of how you want your own internal networks to run.  If you have a requirement to run some device on its own, as long as you have an ethernet or wifi pathway to that device, it can be done with the modem's second IP address capability.

One point to keep in mind, if you only have a single printer in the home, it will only be accessible from one network.  The modem will not provide any cross over between the two networks.  Each network is independent and running on its own. The modem's max data rate is a shared resource between the two networks.

So, if you happen to have a couple of routers on hand, they can both be put to use, running off of the modem.  For anyone who happens to run an Asus router, you can run a secondary DNS address in the router by using Merlins's Asuswrt firmware, which has that capability built in.  

arnym21
I plan to stick around

It sounds like a great feature to use, in particular for privacy and security reasons while accessing select sites. Some guys who are banned on certain forums or eCommerce portals due to bad character, will certainly find it handy. Yet both IPs will be assigned from common Rogers IPs pull thus limiting usability in anonymous browsing. Smiley Wink

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

Is there any advantage, other than simplicity, to doing this rarcher  than VLANs?  Could that give you the same thing where you have one “regular” internet connection and one using a VPN to appear to be in the US, to name just one example,.  

You are are still limited by your original speed when using two DNS addresses, are you not?  If you get 320 down, which I do on my 250 service, it isn’t like you will now simultaneously get 320 down on both addresses, correct?

GolfGeek
I've been here awhile

Does the CODA-4582 support Jumbo Frames?

I cannot find any means to set the MTU on the LAN side of the CODA-4582.  Anyone know if this is supported?

Thanks.

Hello @GolfGeek,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, this isn't supported on the modem side.  You might be able to set this up on your network adapter via device manager, but I'm honestly not certain that would work for you either. Smiley Frustrated

You may want to seek the advice of our Resident Experts @Datalink or @gp-se for suggestions.

RogersShaun

GolfGeek
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the answer, but I have already have it set up on my Ubuntu system and my NAS.   No device manager here.  🙂

If the switch on the CODA doesn't support it, then the configuration on the rest of the elements is ineffective.  

Any chance this can be put in as a feature request @Datalink or @gp-se?

HughR
I plan to stick around

@GolfGeek wrote:

Does the CODA-4582 support Jumbo Frames?

I cannot find any means to set the MTU on the LAN side of the CODA-4582.  Anyone know if this is supported?

Thanks.

This response will contain guesswork.

Why do you want jumbo frames?  I imagine that they cannot transit even the Rogers part of the internet.

If you want them just for your LAN, and if the Hitron's switch does not support them, just stick your own switch (one that supports jumbo frames) on the LAN, make all your connections to it, and then connect one port of the switch to the Hitron.

I would hope (but have no idea) if Path MTU Discovery would let it all just work.  It used to be that many (other people's) routers dropped ICMP and made PMTUD fail on the internet.  Maybe even the Hitron fails to send the requisite ICMPs.  An easy experiment would provide the answer.

@GolfGeek I don't think I've seen any mention of setting the MTU on an Intel Puma 6 or 7 modem, and that's across several ISPs.  So, if its actually in the firmware, its not presented to the users.  If that's the case, then it might be possible to code the option without too much effort on Hitron's part.  If its not in the firmware, then Intel would probably have to develop the code for this and if that's the case I suspect that there are a good many higher priority items that need to be taken care of first.  

But, there is no harm in asking for the option.  Is this specifically for Jumbo Frames on the LAN?

GolfGeek
I've been here awhile

Yes, LAN side.  

Thanks.

The setting to enable it IS visible... I can plug a USB stick in and the interface recognizes it... no idea how to get access to it on the network though... is this still being worked on?

??  The modem will only recognize a USB2 stick.  Running a USB3 stick requires code changes by Intel.  I believe its on the list of things to do.  

The one thing that I haven't explored is the USB Enable/Disable in the BASIC SETTINGS .... GATEWAY FUNCTION TAB.  I don't know if there is another menu that comes up when the USB is Enabled.

After the USB2 stick is enabled, its a matter of mapping the drive.  There is some trick to it that I don't remember.  There are a couple of posts in the forum that show that, just have to find them. 

0x
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

One primary difference is that Rogers Hitron modems support two separate IP addresses in Bridge mode, so, an additional IP passthrough isn't required as the Rogers modems and network already support the simultaneous use of two IP addresses.  

If the idea is to run an IP passthrough for the purposes of a separate IP address, while the modem is in Gateway mode, my personal advice would be to buy two routers and run the modem in Bridge mode , or buy a reasonable router that provides the required DMZ performance mode and run the modem in Bridge mode.  It all depends on the requirement for a separate (secondary) IP address.

To clarify, were you actually getting two public IP addresses (e.g. 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5)? Or was one of them an internal address (e.g. 192.168.1.1)?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@0x they were two public addresses as the modem was/is running in Bridge mode and each router is connected directly to the modem.  That configuration wasn't working before Christmas which is unusual as its been very reliable up to that point.  On my list of things to do is run a test as soon as I can to see if @RogersDave has had an opportunity to address this.  I'm not sure at this point if its an issue with my CMTS or an issue with the 4582 modem running firmware version 2.0.10.33T3

With any of the modems running in Bridge mode, you should be able to connect two devices to the modem and end up with two public IPV4 addresses, same for IPV6 addresses. 

This modem has certainly been a headache and time waster for me since switching from 250u service to 1GB service this week.

I have returned twice as per Rogers tech and customer service, same issue persists.

Regardless of hard wired ethernet or WI-FI, I am maxing out speedtest.net tests at 200Mbps on a GOOD test, generally anywhere from 140-200Mbps.

Rogers seems clueless on the issue, even though its all over here, I dont know why they either deny the issue, or act as though its the first time they have heard of it?

Either way, my 250u service I Was hitting 350Mbps consistantly upon tests, and that was even on Wi-Fi let alone Ethernet wired.

All I know is I am overpaying for what I am receiving and certainly losing patience with the issue, and unsure of where to go from here.

I have an open ticket with Rogers, and supposed to here back within 48 hrs, however I dont assume anything will come of that either at this point.

Matt

Catlin
I've been here awhile

Is anyone else having problem in this modem with the Local DHCP? When I reset the modem it works fine for the 1st day or so but then any computers/devices trying to connect either via LAN or WiFi can't auto-obtain an IP address from it. If I setup manual IP addresses the devices will work but if they are set to auto they will just be left "Identifying" or come back with "Connection Test Failed, Could not connect to router". 
I have been searching high and low on the internet but this thread seems to be the only place for resources on this modem. 
Also, does anyone know of any solutions or if mine might be faulty. 
Hardware 1A, Software: 2.0.10.28T2
I also tried changing the release time from 1 week to other options but that didn't help. 

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
@Catlin I think you will find that a number of people are having the same issues you are describing and that the only solution so far is to set your devices to static ip. I have tried dhcp reservation without success.
Maybe try requesting for a trial fw from this forum and see if that helps.
I am hoping that one of the next fw versions would help with this functionality.

@Catlin@ayosnato, and anyone else experiencing DHCP issues with the CODA-4582 modem, can you give this a try:

1.  Log into the modem and navigate to the BASIC .... RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY tab. 

2.  Change the Router Mode from Dual (stack) to IPv4.  The modem will revert to IPV4 only mode in two to three minutes.  

I usually run modem reboot when I do this as well:  ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot Device.

You could, prior to the reboot, decide on a device to use a test subject.  Remove that device from the static IP address list, and then reboot the modem.  

The question at hand is whether or not there are IPV6 issues mixed up in the DHCP problems that you are experiencing.  If someone can run test, that will confirm or disprove the idea.  With IPV6 disabled, will the test device receive an IPV4 IP from the modem and operate as expected? 

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
@Datalink I have tried your suggestion previously with no luck but could not recall if I rebooted the Coda after making the changes. I will try this out tomorrow and will post back the results. Thanks.