Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

gp-se
I'm an advisor
The trial program will install beta firmware on the modem. To join the program send a PM to @CommunityHelps with the subject Coda firmware trial. Include your Rogers account number, modem serial number, and modem mac address. You can find the last two when you log in to the modem.

wongnog
I plan to stick around
Thanks, I was able to join the trial program but my router has not received a new firmware/software version yet. I have hard rebooted the device by unplugging the power for 10 seconds, and also hard reset to factory default by pushing the reset button on the back for 10 seconds. Is there anything else I should try?

@wongnog the trial firmware will be pushed to your modem at some point.  As this is a holiday weekend, that might not happen until Tuesday.  Users are not able to update the modems firmware.  The exception to this is for users running trial firmware.  A Factory Reset will cause the modem to revert back to the current production firmware.  If that happens, either intentionally or unintentionally, then you will have to send a message to @CommunityHelps to have the trial firmware reloaded.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

I'm getting the new modem tomorrow.  Right now i have CGN3 and always found the web interface tedious and hard to work with. If the modem is not freshly rebooted, navigating the interface can take minutes (loads realllll slow).  Getting port forwards going, or trying to define static IP adresses for some of my devices was real tedious, i ended up getting an ASUS-RT66U to fix the issue.  Most of my devices are hard-wired so wifi wasn't a huge issue for me, living in an appartment.  The CGN3 couldn't reach outside on my deck but the ASUS could.<

How is the CODA-4582 ?  Is the web interface faster to work with?  Will i be able to define static IP adresses to some of my devices in the DHCP settings?  Or am i better off setting it to bridge mode and keep using my Asus?

I checked, my router has about 850mbit wan to lan throughput...  I intend on doing speedtests on the CODA-4582 and if i get speeds over 850+ i would tend to skip my asus altogether, if not i'm not sure what i'll do.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@stefer009 The interface design for the CODA-4582 is the same, but you are given more options and features. In terms of interface responsiveness, it's a night and day change coming from the CGN3. The modem pages load almost instantly and navigating is really seamless. 

The CODA-4582 is rated up to 1Gbps over wired, but taking consideration driver overhead, you will be getting a max of 950Mbps. 

For the features of the modem you can read more in this PDF.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the info!

I'll probably just try to move all my port forwards etc. to the CODA-4582 and hope for the best, as I've read that my router has an OK Wan to Lan throughput but that can go down drastically if there's a couple of devices running at the same time, especially downloading or uploading stuff.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

Got setup, using the CODA, but speedtests for upload are... dissapointing...  was hoping to reach 50mbit easily...  Done couple of tests, only goes over 30 sometimes.

@wongnog, your modem should now be upgraded to the latest version (2.0.10.31).

@stefer009, did you recently sign up for Ignite Gigabit? All new plans have a maximum upload speed of 30 Mbps so your speedtest is actually pretty good.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

Ah geez.... It used to be 50 no??? Grrr... it took a year to convince sales to get me gigabit in my bundle, every time they tried it wouldn't work, it would have broke my promo.  Only yesterday were they able to do it and only the social media team were able to, on the phone they tried for an hour without any success... and now... its just 30 😞

Well then, that explains it 😞

Half of the reason for upgrading was for the 50 up speed for when i upload to youtube, my dropbox, etc... streaming games on youtube or twitch 😞  I know... to stream I don't need 50 up, but to upload to youtube or facebook or dropbox, 50 was a lot better than 20... oh well!

Thanks for the info btw!

brad102
I plan to stick around

Just wondering if there is a faster way to reset your IP address from the coda than unplugging it for 24 hours, or switching out the modem? 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@brad102 wrote:

Just wondering if there is a faster way to reset your IP address from the coda than unplugging it for 24 hours, or switching out the modem? 

@brad102

which IP address? the IP address the CODA hands out to your devices? or the IP address Rogers provides to the Modem?

you can't switch the IP address that Rogers gives to the modem, it's fixed to the MAC address of the modem, it rarely changes unless they re-segment your node/cmts.

As for the IP address the modem hands out to devices you can change that by using static mapping.

wongnog
I plan to stick around

Thanks @RogersDave! Is there a changelog somewhere to explain what is new in the updated software version?

brad102
I plan to stick around
So what to do if your IP gets leaked which is very easy to do, and you're getting ddosed? ISPs give ZERO protection over this and its really stupid they don't

stefer009
I plan to stick around

@brad102 wrote:
So what to do if your IP gets leaked which is very easy to do, and you're getting ddosed? ISPs give ZERO protection over this and its really stupid they don't

I hate to sound insensitive, but two things:

1) If multiple gigabits/sec of traffic are headed to one of their IPs, the ISP's network is being strained no matter whether the destination system is up or not, 

2) it would be the utmost of cruelty for somebody who attracts a DDoS to then hand that IP back to the ISP's pool and suddenly it gets reassigned to some random person who suddenly finds themselves on the receiving end of some nasty DDoS.

If you know that you're being subjected to a DOS attack, change the modem, which will result in a new IP address.  

When the current IP address goes out of service as you're out changing the modem, that DOS attack shouldn't cause issues for anyone else, unless, by misfortune, that particular IP address is reassigned right away to another user. Don't know what the odds are of that happening.  You would think that would be a few spare IP addresses available at the CMTS so that the timeframe when the original IP address is put back into use would be days if not weeks down the road. 

If you happen to be running the modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it, clone another IP address from your LAN using the router's IP address clone function and restart the router.  That will result in a different IP address. 

ep7
I've been here awhile

@VivienM wrote:

@ep7 wrote:

@RogersDave any ETA for when 4+TB NTFS USB3.0 drives will be supported on the USB port?

Even a 500MB NTFS USB2.0 thumb drive is not being recognized, so looks like NTFS support is still lacking.

I've only managed to get smaller FAT32 USB2.0 drives to work so far with 20+ variations I've tried...

I'm running .27 firmware and the "USB Storage" functionality appears under the Admin tab.

Why would you WANT to run NTFS on a Hitron gateway?!

NTFS is a complicated, complicated beast. I'm not sure where the Linux community is at in terms of having a stable read-write-capable NTFS driver; I think they finally got one working a few years ago after over a decade of work. Apple does not include write-capable NTFS support in OS X, so they clearly don't want to touch it for some reason (you can get commercial, third-party NTFS drivers for OS X). And these are developers with a much better record of quality code than Hitron's gateways...

I guess the bottom line is - I don't understand why you'd ever want to trust data to a non-MS NTFS implementation. I see the risk of data loss as being too high.

Are the Hitron gateways Linux-based? If yes, I wonder whether a ext4 drive would work?

I was following up with @RogersDave  per his comments from message 1395.

I'd love it if ext3 or ext4 was supported by this modem, but it appears that only FAT and NTFS filesystems are supported, so that's what I was testing out...

From the USB Storage Help screen:

The file systems supported include the Window's FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@ep7 wrote:

I'd love it if ext3 or ext4 was supported by this modem, but it appears that only FAT and NTFS filesystems are supported, so that's what I was testing out...

From the USB Storage Help screen:

The file systems supported include the Window's FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

I was following up with @RogersDave  per his comments from message 1395.

Good catch. Requested from Hitron to confirmed if NTFS not working is a bug or someone that was too optimistic when the help screen was written...

Dave

@RogersDave So what's the status on this? I'm looking in my admin settings and I see the storage option and can see my connected device but I can't figure out how to use it.

chemical1
I plan to stick around

Modem Upgrade

I just swapped my old modem for the new gigabit one I was getting 92mbps on speedtest and now I get about 197 with the new does it take a bit to "switch over" to the new speeds?  

Thanks 🙂

Mike

@chemical1 did you switch over to a gigabit plan as well?  If so, then you should see approx 940 to 950 Mb/s down max, and 30 Mb/s up.  You might see slightly higher on the upstream test, maybe by 2 or 3 Mb/s as a guess.  

Was the speedtest done via ethernet or wifi, and if its wifi, was that via 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi network?