Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

user12343543
I plan to stick around

does anyone have an idea when the new "secret" modem is being released?

RyzenFX
The new secreted modem is going to be released mid-2017, as the Rogers Q4 2016 results have noted. Mid 2017 is basically June so the new 8x8 WiFi Gateway could be released by the end of this month or early July.

viciouslancer
I plan to stick around

I will try to find some time this weekend to test.

IIRC, in March, with the adapters connected to each other, I had 900Mbps with a short cable, and 600Mbps running through the house cabling.

Now with the CODA supporting MoCA, I get 500Mbps (either on same splitter as modem, or at the other end of the house) or 150Mbps if both adapters + modem are connected.

My cabling/splitter setup hasn't changed and I do not have WHPVR, I am using Antronix splitters supplied by Rogers. I don't believe they are branded to be MoCA compatible, but as the adapters seemed to work before, I'm not sure why there is degradation when adding additional devices.

@viciouslancer, if I understand this correctly:

when you have:   Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port ---- House Cable ---- Adapter 1 ---- Modem

You end up with 500 Mb/s, thru the to adapter.

and when you have:  Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable --- Adapter  1 --- Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- House Cable --- Adapter 2

You end up with 150 Mb/s from both adapters, or from Adapter 2 only?

Do I have that correct?  I can understand that for Adapter 2, as there is the possibility of the splitter not supporting the upper MoCA D band frequencies, so the adapters provide whatever they can.  I don't understand that for Adapter 1 as I assume that you would have that adapter connected via short cable to the modem, so there should't be any line losses to cause that. 

How many output ports are there on the splitter?  A two port splitter drops the signal levels by 3.5 dB on both ports, a larger splitter would have a -3.5 db port and two or more ports at -7 dB.  If the splitter supports the upper MoCA D bands, that drop wouldn't matter.  If it doesn't support the upper MoCA frequencies, then it probably would make a difference in the rates that are observed.  

And then again, your observation might be absolutely right that the speed drops with more adapters in the system.  It might be time for an email to Actiontec.

Have you tested the data rates right at the modem to ensure that you're still getting 900+ Mb/s with a direct ethernet connection?

Edit:  Fwiw, here is what I would run as a test with just one single adapter in the network:

1.  Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 ---- House Cable ---- Adapter 1 ---- Modem

2. Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 ---- Adapter 1 ---- House Cable ---- Modem

3. Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable ----  Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- Adapter 1 ---- House Cable

4. Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable ----  Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- House Cable ---- Adapter 1

That would step thru the various cominations of adapter locations to see if there are differences in the adapter performance caused by the total length of cable back to the modem, and possibly caused by the path thru the splitter.  If the splitter isn't MoCA 2.0 capable, then tests 2 and 3 will show that.  Is there a setting on the modem to select the MoCA operating band as band D?  I haven't looked at this as I don't have an adapter to test with.  When that series of tests was complete, I'd leave Adapter 1 in place and run thru the same test series with Adapter 2.  Connect at the modem would confirm or negate the issue where the speed drops to 150 Mb/s with more than one adapter in the network. 

Just to note, for a splitter with more than two ports, the modem should be located on the port marked -3.5 dB. The one caveat to that is whether or not you have a cable run that is split somewhere else, in which case the technician may have located that split cable on the -3.5 dB port to limit the losses at the next splitter. 

traghipp
I plan to stick around
@Datalink, do you know when the rest of the testers will receive the beta v29? I'm using moca adapters and would like to try the coda-4582 with it turned on. I've PMd @RogersDave but haven't heard back and I'm assuming he's incredibly busy which is understandable.

@traghipp, Dave was going to try to push that out during the rest of the week I believe, but, as you have said, probably pretty busy these days.  Patience is a virtue as they say.  Have you read thru the above comments on the adapter data rates?  I'd like to see as many MoCA Adapter users as possible try this out so I can formulate some recommendations for others who might be interested in going that route.  So, I'll be asking forum members such as yourself for feedback on adapter firmware versions, data rates thru the adapters at various locations and whether or not you have an Antronix splitter or Antronix MoCA qualified amplifier installed on the incoming cable from the street or utility pole.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
Off topic here but is there a new (secret) modem being released??

traghipp
I plan to stick around
@Datalink, thanks again for your response.

Here is my current set up:

I have whole home PVR so Rogers has installed a multi-room splitter that has a moca filter built into it.

My coda-4582 is in the basement and it serves as my main router. I have two other routers connected via moca2.0 adapters and cat6 cables on my main floor and second floor.

1) I have a short RG6 cable that goes into to the coda-4582 from the splitter.

2) I have another short RG6 cable that goes from the splitter to ONE moca2.0 adapter. A short cat6 cable goes from the coda-4582 to the same moca2.0 adapter.

3) The TWO other moca2.0 adapters are connected by RG6 cable which are home run and connected to the multi-room splitter in the basement. Each adapter is connected to their own routers by a cat6 cable. Each router is acting as an extender.

The coda-4582 handles all of the router duties.

Presently, I am getting between 450mbs to 680mbs download speeds on computers connected by cat6 to any of the routers which are connected to the coda-4582 by moca2.0 adapters. Wifi on 5g is dependent on my devices but the highest I've gotten in 280mbs download speed.

The speeds I'm getting are similar to the speeds I get to the single computer that is connected directly to the coda-4582 in the basement by cat6. I chalk this up to a limitation of the coda which has been discussed adnauseum in these forums.

I purchased the adapters from china and they are no names. However, I purchased 4 of them for less than the cost of 2 actiontecs.

@traghipp are you running the MoCA Adapters with the privacy settings (encryption) enabled, and are the adapters set to run using the MoCA D band, or are they on full auto in terms of the frequencies that they use?

Does the splitter indicate that its MoCA qualified and if so, can you post the model number that's indicated on it?

traghipp
I plan to stick around

The adapters I purchased are not upgradeable in that I have no access to the firmware. The IP address is auto assigned by the router. Therefore, I am assuming that there is no privacy setting enabled. From my limited understanding, these adapters only act like a cat6 cable in that they are only providing a connection to the router. If you are connecting a computer directly to the adapter the IP address and encryption is being handled by the router and if you have another router working as an access point, like I am doing, the encryption is handled by the access point if connecting to it by wifi and if it's a wired connection, the encryption is handled by the router.

Is what I'm saying make sense and does it sound correct?

The splitter rogers has installed is: 

Antronix Voip Residential Amplifier MVRA901B Integrated MoCA PoE filter

RyzenFX

@Hucklebury wrote:
Off topic here but is there a new (secret) modem being released??

@Hucklebury the news about a new modem launching mid-2017 can be found in my post here. Rogers disclosed that they are planning to release a new 8x8 WiFi Gateway by mid-2017.  

If you haven't noticed, @RogersDave has mentioned that he is performing tests on the new gateway to ensure that many of the CODA issues reported within the last 6-7 months are not present in the new gateway. This should ensure a MUCH smoother launch than the CODA-4582. 

The only thing we have left to speculate on is who will be the vendor? Will it be Hitron? Will it Arris?

From what I know, Hitron has an 8x8 WiFi Gateway that is slated for launch THIS MONTH, which is at the same time Rogers plans to release their new 8x8 WiFi Gateway; it could potentially be that modem. We also know that the new Hitron modem uses Intel's Puma 7 SoC.

On the other hand, Comcast's XB6 8x8 Gateway is another candidate. This is because of Rogers' announcement to partner with Comcast to make use of it's X1 IPTV platform (launching early 2018), but this partnership allows Rogers to  make use of  it's customer premise equipment such as their line of gateways. The XB6 has already been deployed to customers on Comcast's network and the first version of the modem will also feature Intel's Puma 7 SoC. 

If Rogers chooses to go with one of the two, we should be seeing similar performance because they use the same hardware. Hopefully this clears some of your questions. Smiley Happy

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the response. I was totally unaware of this exciting news. I have been all wrapped up in trying to resolve some internet issues I have been having. I would also like to thank @Datalink  for his help. 

traghipp
I plan to stick around
Have most of the testers received the v29 firmware update? I haven't yet.

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
I have

@traghipp wrote:

I'm sorry for the delay on this one. I am pushing the new firmware to all CODA today.

If you haven't received the new firmware by the end of the day, it's probably because I don't have your latest MAC address on record in which case I suggest you sent a PM to @CommunityHelps asking to update your information in the trial with your new MAC address and serial number.

Dave

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Hi Dave,

It looks like mine has got missed. I did send an update to @CommunityHelps on the 16th with my new CODA-4582 details after swapping out my CNG3ACSMR earlier in the week.  Would you be able to confirm if it got into the list?

One other thing. I would REALLY like to use the USB3 port on the back. Both ports on the CNG3ACSMR were heavily used and I miss the option.

Regards,

Z.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@traghipp wrote:

I'm sorry for the delay on this one. I am pushing the new firmware to all CODA today.

If you haven't received the new firmware by the end of the day, it's probably because I don't have your latest MAC address on record in which case I suggest you sent a PM to @CommunityHelps asking to update your information in the trial with your new MAC address and serial number.

Dave

Received v29 yesterday ....Toronto East.....Seamless and no issues. Didn't noticed it was pushed until I checked this morning. Smooth transition, same performance as previous release.....Thanks...Good job Dave!

Unrelated, and not sure if it is Coda-4582 issue....Netflix streams seem to drop-off more often and have to restart to resume watching. First assumed it was network related...but have Gigabit speed and on LAN. Any suggestions? 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@rjmaxim wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@traghipp wrote:

Dave

Received v29 yesterday ....Toronto East.....Seamless and no issues. Didn't noticed it was pushed until I checked this morning. Smooth transition, same performance as previous release.....Thanks...Good job Dave!

Unrelated, and not sure if it is Coda-4582 issue....Netflix streams seem to drop-off more often and have to restart to resume watching. First assumed it was network related...but have Gigabit speed and on LAN. Any suggestions? 

@rjmaxim

Are you using the WiFi on the Hitron, or a hard wire ethernet connection? WiFi isn't very reliable, so that could be your issue. 

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

@rjmaxim wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@traghipp wrote:

Dave

@rjmaxim

Are you using the WiFi on the Hitron, or a hard wire ethernet connection? WiFi isn't very reliable, so that could be your issue. 

Thx gp-se.....No, using my own router and AppleTV is hard wired on the LAN.

Kevyh
I've been here awhile

DLNA 

New Rogers customer with the new CODA-4582.

I have 1TB NTFS formatted hard drive attached to the modem. I can see the drive fine and map it to my PC on the same network and media stream via SMB to a Kodi box on a TV; however, the drive is not visible to either my PS3 or PS4 on the same network. The drive was visible when attached to an ASUS RT-AC56U.

The PS4 does not support SMB.

Am I correct in assuming that this CODA router does not support DLNA media streaming?

Curr0380
I've been here awhile

Hi we have the CODA 4582 modem with the black dot in our home when we upgraded to the 150u service but the Wifi has been terrible unless you are in the room or connected directly. I have a PS4 hardwired and it works well with speeds around 150mbps, however if you go up stairs the signal drops incredibly. Much more then it did when we had our previous old modem. Not sure if this is a channel issue or what but it make the service unusable most times and we can not even get the chrome to connect.