Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@viciouslancer are you running the privacy settings on the adapter and are the adapters set to use the D-Lo and D-Hi bands that are available in MoCA 2.0?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure, I didn't modify any settings. I did get 900 when I tested them linked to each other a few months ago.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I hope you have a MoCA Point of Entry filter installed on the cable as it comes into the house from the street or utility pole.  Have a look at the following page which details how to update the firmware on the adapter so that you can run them in encrypted mode.  Its a little goofy to say the least.  You have to email Actiontec to obtain the latest firmware version, although, if yours are not that old, perhaps they have the latest firmware loaded.  My guess is that you would have to follow the same procedure just to determine what firmware is currently loaded and what settings are in effect:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Running this (default) configuration

SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7

RF Channel: 1150
RF Band: Band D Extended
RF Switch: Hi

with no privacy (CODA doesn't support yet?)

I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXRMIIC installed as soon as cable comes in from the street - I tested it by installing between the two adapters connected to each other.

I have submitted a request to Actiontec for firmware, it's odd that their site says there is no user configuration or firmware available.

Where I got ~600Mbps in my garage with the adapters connected to each other, I'm now getting ~100-150Mbps with CODA as host.

EDIT: @Datalink sounds like you know a lot more about MoCA than I do - I basically just found it as a more viable/better solution than running ethernet or powerline adapters. Now that I have 2 adapters connected, the one where I got ~500Mbps this evening (7pm) I am now getting ~150Mbps down/7Mbps up on a speedtest.

Does adding more adapters slow down the speed? Even if the adapters aren't being used (have nothing connected on the ethernet end)?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@viciouslancer I don't think that adding adapters will slow the results.  When you tested the adapters before and saw 600 Mb/s with the adapters connected to each other, I'm assuming that was with a short RG-6 cable connecting the two together.  Did you test them again after they were in their permanent locations?  At that point you would be using the house cable system, longer cables, connectors, and the splitter.  So, that adds up in terms of signal losses.  I wonder what you would see if you brought them together again and retested them just to see what the results are. Before pulling them out of the system, I would power cycle them, pull the power and reapply power just to see if the adapters perform any better after a reboot.  Maybe their like any other modem or router, requiring a power cycle every now and then.

Here's some food for thought.  Rogers uses Antronix splitters and amps, and possibly other company's splitters and amps as well.  The Antronix site indicates that MoCA qualified splitters will be arriving at some point.  So, either they don't manufacture MoCA qualified splitters, or, if they do, they haven't updated the site.  The issue here is that the splitter has to be MoCA qualified in terms of its frequency response, running up to the top of the MoCA 2.0 D-Hi band which is 1675 Mhz.  The Antronix site indicates that the splitters top out at 1 Ghz which is at the top of the cable system.  The frequency response would roll off from there.  

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-Products-Drop-Passives-All-Splitters-results.php

Have a look at the following Holland Electronics page for MoCA splitters:

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=catv-moca-splitter

The product sheet link is on the right hand side of that page.  If you look at that product sheet you can see that the frequency response extends to 1675 Mhz, which is suitable for MoCA operations.  Apparently this does not include a MoCA filter. 

When you installed the MoCA adapters, did you install a MoCA qualified splitter, replacing the Rogers splitter, or do you have a Rogers amplifier running, which might be MoCA qualified?

And, are you running whole home PVR which also uses MoCA from what I understand?  I would think that customers with Whole Home PVR would have to have a MoCA qualified splitter installed, but, for customers that don't have Whole Home PVR, its possible that they would have a standard splitter installed.  I'm going to have to find a Rogers tech to have a discussion on this.  The splitter specs are a small but important point in all of this which will either make or break a MoCA network.  

If you could, here's one test that would be worth doing, run a test with the adapters connected directly together, and then run a test with the adapters connected with short cables, running thru the splitter.  Note that depending on the splitter port, you will have a signal loss of either -3.5 dB or -7 dB, so, the ports that you might test thru would also affect the final observed data rates. 

Another part in all of this are the F connectors in the wall plates in your home.  If they are the typical F Connector with the white core, they might not support the frequency range required for MoCA.  For any wallplate that has an adapter connected, the F connector should be replaced with a higher frequency version such as this:

https://www.lowes.ca/coax-cable/ideal-3-ghz-f-splice-adapter-4-pack_g1200823.html?SearchTerm=85-339

Please let me know what your thought are on all of this.

I Plan to Stick Around

does anyone have an idea when the new "secret" modem is being released?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new secreted modem is going to be released mid-2017, as the Rogers Q4 2016 results have noted. Mid 2017 is basically June so the new 8x8 WiFi Gateway could be released by the end of this month or early July.
I Plan to Stick Around

I will try to find some time this weekend to test.

IIRC, in March, with the adapters connected to each other, I had 900Mbps with a short cable, and 600Mbps running through the house cabling.

Now with the CODA supporting MoCA, I get 500Mbps (either on same splitter as modem, or at the other end of the house) or 150Mbps if both adapters + modem are connected.

My cabling/splitter setup hasn't changed and I do not have WHPVR, I am using Antronix splitters supplied by Rogers. I don't believe they are branded to be MoCA compatible, but as the adapters seemed to work before, I'm not sure why there is degradation when adding additional devices.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@viciouslancer, if I understand this correctly:

when you have:   Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port ---- House Cable ---- Adapter 1 ---- Modem

You end up with 500 Mb/s, thru the to adapter.

and when you have:  Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable --- Adapter  1 --- Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- House Cable --- Adapter 2

You end up with 150 Mb/s from both adapters, or from Adapter 2 only?

Do I have that correct?  I can understand that for Adapter 2, as there is the possibility of the splitter not supporting the upper MoCA D band frequencies, so the adapters provide whatever they can.  I don't understand that for Adapter 1 as I assume that you would have that adapter connected via short cable to the modem, so there should't be any line losses to cause that. 

How many output ports are there on the splitter?  A two port splitter drops the signal levels by 3.5 dB on both ports, a larger splitter would have a -3.5 db port and two or more ports at -7 dB.  If the splitter supports the upper MoCA D bands, that drop wouldn't matter.  If it doesn't support the upper MoCA frequencies, then it probably would make a difference in the rates that are observed.  

And then again, your observation might be absolutely right that the speed drops with more adapters in the system.  It might be time for an email to Actiontec.

Have you tested the data rates right at the modem to ensure that you're still getting 900+ Mb/s with a direct ethernet connection?

Edit:  Fwiw, here is what I would run as a test with just one single adapter in the network:

1.  Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 ---- House Cable ---- Adapter 1 ---- Modem

2. Incoming cable  ---- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 ---- Adapter 1 ---- House Cable ---- Modem

3. Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable ----  Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- Adapter 1 ---- House Cable

4. Incoming cable  --- MoCA Filter --- Splitter port 1 --- House Cable ----  Modem

Splitter port 2 (?) --- House Cable ---- Adapter 1

That would step thru the various cominations of adapter locations to see if there are differences in the adapter performance caused by the total length of cable back to the modem, and possibly caused by the path thru the splitter.  If the splitter isn't MoCA 2.0 capable, then tests 2 and 3 will show that.  Is there a setting on the modem to select the MoCA operating band as band D?  I haven't looked at this as I don't have an adapter to test with.  When that series of tests was complete, I'd leave Adapter 1 in place and run thru the same test series with Adapter 2.  Connect at the modem would confirm or negate the issue where the speed drops to 150 Mb/s with more than one adapter in the network. 

Just to note, for a splitter with more than two ports, the modem should be located on the port marked -3.5 dB. The one caveat to that is whether or not you have a cable run that is split somewhere else, in which case the technician may have located that split cable on the -3.5 dB port to limit the losses at the next splitter. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, do you know when the rest of the testers will receive the beta v29? I'm using moca adapters and would like to try the coda-4582 with it turned on. I've PMd @RogersDave but haven't heard back and I'm assuming he's incredibly busy which is understandable.