Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Thanks for the reply. I'll call them and see what they say about the SNR

I Plan to Stick Around

When I said weak signal I meant that the signal barely shows up and then when you try connecting to it you get one bar with no actual data.. that's if it decides to show up under wifi clients. I don't have any devices besides the ones I use to connect with such as the iphone 6, 6s and iphone 7+ also mac book pro. These devices had no problem connecting before with the previous modem after the latest trial firmware, the environment is the same as before. Thanks for your time btw

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers uses Pre-Equalization on the upstream channels, which basically means that the CMTS is in control of the modem output power levels.  The target for the received upstream levels at the CMTS is 0 dBmV with a Signal to Noise ratio of at least 25 dB.  So, the CMTS will command the modem to increase or decrease its output power level to meet that requirement.  As a result, the 4582 is demonstrating that its able to communicate with the CMTS using lower power levels.  That should not be considered as a problem.  Its an indication that the CMTS is satisfied with the lower power level.  You can always call tech support and ask what the received upstream power levels and signal to noise ratios are at the CMTS. 

Edit:  Have you looked at the wifi environment with something like Acrylic, inSSIDer, or WifiInfoView just to see if one of your neighbours hasn't installed a new modem or router that is interfering with your modem?

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

The inSSIDer version in the link is the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It doesn't properly display the 5 Ghz 802.11ac networks, but, the newer licenced versions do.  For $20 US, if you use 802.11ac networks, I think its worth the cost as its pretty easy to understand the graphical presentation of the data.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Would connecting a switch to the CODA modem cause speed slowdowns?

I wanted to hook up a switch to the CODA modem so that I can add some more wired devices on the network.  Can someone please tell me:

1) If I do this, would it cause slowdowns on the Internet Speed

2) What is a good brand/model to get?  I had a Netgear GS105 that is having issues with the Power Supplu and needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed you shouldn't have any problems adding an unmanaged gigabit switch.  I've used a DLink 8 port switch without any problems, but that is connected to my Asus router, not the modem.  I haven't seen any complaints regarding switch connections to any modem model so I would assume that a Dlink, or Netgear unmanaged switch would be comparable.  You might want to look at the specs to determine the Switching Fabric which tells you the Gb/s Switching Fabric, the Forward Rate in packets per sec and the latency.  You would probably have to dig up the data sheet from the manufacturers site so that you can compare different switches.  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink

Thanks for the info.

Could you please suggest a 5 port switch that I can connect to the Rogers CODA modem?

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the reply gp-se!

Why would I be seeing a lot og lag when initially trying to attach to website (about 1-2 sec delay)?

I tried running a portable ping tester (can't remember the name of it) it said ping were good?  Even Google is slow to latch on. My computer system is showing 7.9 on all the Windows tests (video is fast), any other ideas?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@mahomed wrote:

@Datalink

Thanks for the info.

Could you please suggest a 5 port switch that I can connect to the Rogers CODA modem?

Thanks

I personally have had good luck with TrendNet and TP-Link for home-grade switches...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@99bobster99 is it only that one computer that is slow to load websites? How are all the other devices on your network? This seems like a DNS issue to me, I would suggest to login to the Gateway/Router, and goto DNS Settings, Set them on Manual and type these:

DNS 1: 64.71.255.198

DNS 2: 64.71.255.204

after that flush your computers DNS Cache then restart your computer:

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache

I've Been Here Awhile

I hope someone can help me with this problem.  I’ve gone through some of the pages for the Community forums but can’t find an answer.

Rogers advised us to exchange our old modem for the Hitron CODA-4582 and since then we’ve had nothing but problems.  We’ve got them pretty well sorted out, with 4 calls to Rogers Tech Support, one of who was good, the others so-so. 

Now a new problem has cropped up with one of one son’s X Box 1 using WiFi and having a NAT of strict.  He never had this problem with the old modem.  I’ve gone on Google and read the various steps from http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution

Step 1: check out the actual Xbox.  Did that

Step 2: are you using a modem or gateway.  I assumed a gateway, with the CODA-4582:  “A gateway is essentially a modem & router combined into one device   “

Step 3: public or private IP address?  It’s private per the modem info.  Is it the same as your CP’s IP address?  Nope, so go to step 4.

Step 4: Have your ISP (Rogers) give you a public IP address.  Not going to happen per Rogers Tech Support.

We do have a Linksys WRT 160N Router but disconnected it when we got the CODA-4582.

So my question is, “How do I get the NAT to open?”  I’m not a techie so please dumb down your reply so I can follow it.  Thanks