Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hi @RogersDave

One thing that seems to be very evident about the CODA modems is need to reboot them every week or so.  One feature that might be a consideration would be to add the ability to schedule a modem reboot on the modem itself.

One of the Routers I have used was a Belkin model that had a "Self Healing" feature to schedule a reboot daily or weekly at a specific time.  Having used this feature, I can't remember the last time I had a issue with the Router.  Having this feature will definately help with the users who experience slow speeds and other issues that a simple reboot can fix.

I know your plate is full with testing, but this might be something to consider down the road as a feature request.  This functionality can also be included into other Hitron devices that could benefit from a reboot.

Thanks

Mahomed

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Can't wait for @RogersDave to be back on forums, without him we are in the dark. Hopefully he will return soon.

AaronMT
I plan to stick around

Is there any way to validate when my neighbourhood (Vaughan, ONT) will be recieving an active OFDM (3.1) downstream channel for my CODA-4582?

My downstream LED is blue.

I would suggest fixing the function/routine that most likely has a memory leak instead of a bandaid approach to reboot the modem.  Fix the problem instead of implementing a workaround.  Personal opinion.....

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

I would suggest fixing the function/routine that most likely has a memory leak instead of a bandaid approach to reboot the modem.  Fix the problem instead of implementing a workaround.  Personal opinion.....

I agree whole heartidly, there is no reason that we shouldnt expect 100% up time with this hardware.  Fixing the issue rather then rebooting it as a work around is a must. 

RyzenFX

@AaronMT

I live in the city aswell. I'm hoping that they activate D3.1 soon. Does anybody have D3.1 in North York?

Lumute
I plan to stick around

@Jeffj wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

I agree whole heartidly, there is no reason that we shouldnt expect 100% up time with this hardware.  Fixing the issue rather then rebooting it as a work around is a must. 

Totally agree!

Having to reboot anything regularly is just a sign that something is wrong and the real problem should be found and fixed. Even though an scheduled reboot may make our life  easier, as a sysadmin I always refuse to apply such bandaids, temporary worarounds like this always turn into permanent solutions and a nightmare in the long run. The pain caused by the underlying problem will prompt people to complain about it, the more complaining the more important it is and the faster it gets really fixed...

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Lumute I agree, we shouldn't have to reboot, with my previous Hitron CGN 3552 I never had to reboot, the modem uptime was months. 

RyzenFX

I'm pretty eager to get an update on @RogersDave's  & Hitron's progress with the CODA-4582.  I'm hoping that Hitron fixed alot of the bugs we're experiencing because these last 2 months haven't been fun at all. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I am confident @RogersDave will have good news to share when he return this week.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
I agree with the idea of fixing the issue then masking it.

I just wonder why every technician on the phone always says "please reboot the modem" 🙂

That's probably part of their troubleshooting script.  Its a logical step, but it can also hide issues that the reboot will temporarily resolve.  However, it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Yea 3.1 at Donmils and Sheppard

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@lethalsniper

you just got it?

are you getting a better ping in online games?

I thinks it's been 2 weeks now with 3.1 gaming it's a hit and miss sometimes I feel it's better then at times it's the same so I can't say it's better.still think it needs improvement

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

your ping went down a bit, or the same?

Down a bit

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

Mine went down from low double digits to mid to low single digits.

Bilko
I plan to stick around

New Coda 4582 seems fine except for a couple issues.
It will drop the 2.4 and pickup the 5 and drop the 5 and pickup the 2.4 , when this happens the dropped connection disappears from available networks list (phone and pc)
Also the enter modem admin page will randomly pop up on my screen.

Bilko
I plan to stick around
Also how important is the time setting in the modem, mine was 4/5 time zones off...thx

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Well That's encouraging news if D3.1 on downstream helped reduce the ping.

Now with all the new firmware updates coming + D3.1 for Upstream around summer.. I think Rogers is finally going somewhere.