Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

markopas
I plan to stick around

@lethalsniper wrote:
@Datalink I put the coda modem to bridge mode and using own router question here is how come I can still log on the coda modem wireless using 192.168.100.1 if I bridged it

You should still be able to access the address of 100.1 but I've never been able to make it work under bridge mode, I always had to plug directly in to the modem to connect to that address.

Maybe your router is NAT'ing to the modem?

What do you mean nating? So does that mean both wifi are on coda and my router even tho the coda is bridged ? Can you try and see if you or anyone can still log on there modem in bride mode using 192.168.100.1 wirelessly

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

The CODA Wifi is OFF when in bridge mode. But you can still connect to the CODA admin page wired or via WiFi because of the router you attached to.

Thanks

Double_K

@markopas wrote:

@lethalsniper wrote:
@Datalink I put the coda modem to bridge mode and using own router question here is how come I can still log on the coda modem wireless using 192.168.100.1 if I bridged it

You should still be able to access the address of 100.1 but I've never been able to make it work under bridge mode, I always had to plug directly in to the modem to connect to that address.

Maybe your router is NAT'ing to the modem?

@markopas  that can depend on your network configuration in your personal router.  If you are using 192.168.x.x / 255.255.0.0 or 192.168.100.x / 255.255.255.0 on your home network, then it will think that 192.168.100.1 is on the LAN side of your network.  In addition, if your personal router is configured to block access to "private address networks" on the WAN/Internet, it won't let this traffic through.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@gp-se

@RyzenFX

Thank you for the info.

Lumute
I plan to stick around

The idea of bridge mode is so you can use your own router / firewall without having NAT (on your router) over NAT (on the modem/gateway), that would cause a ton of trouble...

In Bridge mode all the gateway functions (including Wi-Fi) are disabled, your router gets assign the public IP directly and the modem does not really need an internal IP address as your router directly uses the CMTS as its gateway, the modem just acts as a medium converter (bridge) between them.

That said, the modem does get assigned an IP address to its internal interface so you can use it to configure it (192.168.100.1), but you need to configure your router to be able to talk to that IP. You'll need to assign a secundary IP address to the WAN interface of your router on the same subnet as the modem, lets say 192.168.100.5, otherwise that IP on the modem is not going to be reachable. Just to clarify, do not change the public IP address assigned to your router on the WAN interface, leave that alone (DHCP) as otherwise you'll loose access to the internet, but add a secondary IP to that interface. This is not possible on every router and its more of an advance configuration...

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

you don't need to assign a secondary IP to anything, atleast not in my experience with various devices.

My internal network is 172.16.x.x and I never had an issue accessing my various bridged hitron modems.

Lumute
I plan to stick around

Interesting, it should be necessary, at least it was for me many modems ago. Yes of course it will not work if your internal network is on the same subnet (192.168.100.0/24) or you have a VPN to such a subnet...

Maybe the latest devices are able to intercept traffic to that IP? not sure how they are doing it... cool if it works without it...

@Lumute wrote:

Second post on this thread: link

thanks!

1z062nv
I plan to stick around
Does the new modem come in black and white? I've seen black online and white on here...

Rexjs
I've been here awhile

I'm on my 5th CODA 4582, 2 tech guys have and could not find anything wrong. They just switched the modems. Now have a black dot version. Fw. 19 docsis 3.1 enabled (purple light on). Turned off 2.4ghz and wps. Still garbage. Every few hours the download goes down to 10 Mbps or less but upload speed stays the same. I have to keep rebooting every few hours. Seriously considering going back to the 3552, which wasn't that great but compared to this, it might be bearable.

mackdown
I've been here awhile

Having the exact same problem but dropping under 5Mbps!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

So just wondering if all these (informal beta testers), who have purchased the top packages with the new modem are getting their fees reduced since the boxes are still actively being beta tested here with users on the board.

Just wondering,

Bruce

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Rexjs wrote:
I'm on my 5th CODA 4582, 2 tech guys have and could not find anything wrong. They just switched the modems. Now have a black dot version. Fw. 19 docsis 3.1 enabled (purple light on). Turned off 2.4ghz and wps. Still garbage. Every few hours the download goes down to 10 Mbps or less but upload speed stays the same. I have to keep rebooting every few hours. Seriously considering going back to the 3552, which wasn't that great but compared to this pos, it might be bearable.

When the speeds drop, call into Rogers and ask them to test your neighbourhood, this will let you know if the issue is something affecting your neighbourhood, or just your connection. 

Rexjs
I've been here awhile
Oh I've called at least a dozen times and they have it on record. They always say everything looks fine on their end and there are no connection issues but they have no idea why my speeds go down to a crawl. They're only solution is reboot, swap modem at the store or bring in a technician. None of those options worked. I have a work order yesterday to get a 3552 modem but none of the rogers stores around Toronto have them because a lot of CGN3s have been bricked by a fw update. Ridiculous.

mackdown
I've been here awhile

@Rexjs wrote:
Oh I've called at least a dozen times and they have it on record. They always say everything looks fine on their end and there are no connection issues but they have no idea why my speeds go down to a crawl. They're only solution is reboot, swap modem at the store or bring in a technician. None of those options worked. I have a work order yesterday to get a 3552 modem but none of the rogers stores around Toronto have them because a lot of CGN3s have been bricked by a fw update. Ridiculous.

I have the exact same issue/experience.

I signed up on Jan 19th and had great consistent speeds until Jan 28th when it started dropping under 5Mbps download but stays at about ~20Mbps upload. The techs have said everything looks good on their end so I should try swapping out the modem. I don't believe that to be a solution to my problem.

I'm using the black dot version and on fw .19 - not sure when this was updated but I was on .13 when I first got the modem. I'm also using the modem as the default Gateway and directly plugged into the ethernet port.

I've tried a hard reset a few times but the speeds always seem to deteriorate to ~5Mbps down but uploads stay fine at ~20Mbps. If I reboot the modem, the speeds hit my regular peak (I seem to usually hit ~330Mbps after the reset on the Ignite 250 plan) but drop to about 5Mbps after 15-45 mins. Turning off 2.4Ghz doesn't seem to help the issue (as some have suggested here) and isn't really an option for me because  my security cameras only use 2.4Ghz.

Anyway, I'm working from home today and my connection has been steady all day so far (~4hrs) without a reboot this morning. I'll see later if this is an issue that happens during 'peak' hours.

Modem just rebooted On the .23 firmware trial @RogersDave

traghipp
I plan to stick around

Maybe one of the senio rogers people can answer this question, "Is it recommended that we use the CODA in bridge mode with a solid router to improve wifi speeds or are there issues with this modem in brdige mode as well"?

Thank you

Double_K

@traghipp I'm not a Rogers person, but I would break your question up into 2 parts:

"Is it recommended that we use the CODA in bridge mode with a solid router to improve wifi speeds"

Some would say: Depends on your budget.  If you don't have the money to buy a seperate router, then no.

My recommendation is yes, if for no other reason than you have complete control over your network in your home.  In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that your WiFi Access Point should be separate from your router, and you would want a WiFi access point where you control everything, including the transmit power.  However, most people don't want to buy a $150 WAP + $200 router/firewall.

"are there issues with this modem in brdige mode as well"

In some cases, yes.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3928...

Some of the issues are occuring in bridge mode, including speed issues. YMMV.

I'm not a senior Rogers person, but, I've used the CGN3, CGN3ACSMR, CGNM-3552 and now the CODA-4582 all in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U behind the modem and have never had any issues with either the modems or the router.  My recommendation has been and continues to be to buy a good router with external antenna and I've never had anyone come back later to indicate that following that recommendation has caused any problems.  The RT-AC68U is getting a little old now for gigabit rates so, its time to look to something like a PfSense of Opensense router with the 68U running in Access Point mode.  If you are looking for a consumer router, with gigabit rates you should only consider a router that has a 1.4. or 1.7 Ghz processor or faster.  Thats taking into consideration the throughput and packet scanning which will slow that throughput down.  I don't believe at the current time that there is any "typical" commercial router which will keep up with gigabit rates and offer the network protection that you might want to use on a day to day basis.  That points the search towards something like PfSense, Opensense and others which can be built with a much faster processor and more memory.  I'm sure that if you pose this question to 10 different users, you will end up with 20 or more different answers, so if you're going down this route, you need to determine what the priorities are and let them lead you to whatever answer they turn up.