Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: :: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

Interesting and thanks . . . gives me something to investigate 😉

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Are these the right commands to allow you to access the Hitron modem config which has an IP of 192.168.100.1 ?  If I have it figured correctly you want to use an IP on the same subnet as the modem, but not the same address as the modem.  I have used 192.168.100.2 but presumabley anything from 192.168.100.2 to 192.168.100.254 should work, shouldn't it?

ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

Is there any way to try this so that it isn't permanent and you don't hose your router?  I think with the stock Asus firmware for my RT-N66U that changes like this have to be redone every time you reboot your router.  Can anyone confirm that?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In the DD-WRT interface, you can add them in and delete those commands at any point in time, so if it doesn't work, you can remove it. You don't have to do it via command line, just in the interface 😄

Highlighted

I am currently running the stock firmware on my Asus RT-N66U router. I didn't want to play around with changing the firmware when we were having all of these issues with the gateway but I think now I will switch to third party firmware, probably to Merlin rather than dd-wrt. The author of the Merlin firmware is very active in the SmallNetBuilder forums, and he lives here in Canada.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So mine updated also, Markham, ON.

However, bridge mode won't give me full speeds, gateway mode with my routers in access point mode, do however, give me full speeds.

Anyone know why, with the current firmware?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ Prospect - What kind of router do you have? 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: :: Rogers Hotrod CNN - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

Wayne  I think the simplest way is to directly connect a PC to a LAN port on the CGN3.  Try changing the ip address on your pc to 192.168.100.50 (the 50 is unimportant but something other than 0 or 1) so its on the same subnet.  Then I think you will be able to connect to the web ui with 192.168.100.1

If you want to try another more permanent change via your router try going to the LAN page on the asus and set the address to 192.168.0.1

Go to the WAN page and change it to a Static IP:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I want to try this myself but I am at work.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Linksys WRT610N
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Prospect - According to both its publish specs and tested specs, the routing speed (WAN > LAN) on your device is 135.6Mb/s. Are you getting about that speed MAX? If so, you're pretty much maxed out.

Your next question is going to be why you're getting higher speeds in AP mode, and the answer is that in AP mode, you're not routing, which is actually what is one of the more demanding tasks for a router to do.

Highlighted

@Prospect - I saw something similar initially but I rebooted all of my network equipment and reseated my cables which seemed to fix the problem.  Did you try plugging a PC directly into the modem, alonside your router and running a speed test?  Try that first as that will tell you if your modem is getting the full speed.