Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Good old win98SE 🙂

I had an old beater box.. i think it may have had OS/2 on it to begin with. 
I threw 98SE on there... it took like.. 30 mins to boot up. XD
But ran ICS on it.. and shared the internet GREAT at the time.

Its funny today, the way people complain about SLOW internet... like how the FCC in the US is saying anything below 10 is not high speed anymore 😛

SO many people hae never experience DIAL UP internet.

My father was in the BETA for rogerwave.. the glory days when you were excited with a 128k-256k modem!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

SO many people hae never experience DIAL UP internet.

My father was in the BETA for rogerwave.. the glory days when you were excited with a 128k-256k modem!

Kids these days, with their LTE and their Hybrid Fibre 150 and their CGN3s and their 6TB HDDs, they have no idea how life used to be...

... ahhh the days of downloading web browsers over 14.4 dialup modems. And watching it oscillate between 1.4 and 1.6 kilobytes/sec.

Yes, kids, kilobytes/sec. The digital equivalent of walking 100km to school every day, barefoot in the snow...

I'm a Senior Contributor

Kids these days, with their LTE and their Hybrid Fibre 150 and their CGN3s and their 6TB HDDs, they have no idea how life used to be...

... ahhh the days of downloading web browsers over 14.4 dialup modems. And watching it oscillate between 1.4 and 1.6 kilobytes/sec.

Yes, kids, kilobytes/sec. The digital equivalent of walking 100km to school every day, barefoot in the snow...

=================================================================================
LOL - I remember my very first modem was an ATI ETC modem that came in at a blazing 300 baud. 🙂  That lasted me quite a while until US Robotiocs came out with a 9600 baud and then upped the ante by going to the aforementioned 14.4
Ah the good ole days ....

I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

=================================================================================
LOL - I remember my very first modem was an ATI ETC modem that came in at a blazing 300 baud. 🙂  That lasted me quite a while until US Robotiocs came out with a 9600 baud and then upped the ante by going to the aforementioned 14.4
Ah the good ole days ....

You know what Those USR Robotics Courier modems still sell for about $300 these days! Check it out!

http://search.ncix.com/products/?sku=IM05679F

I would imagine that they still sell decently, as there's still a lot of more rural areas that don't have easy access to high speed Internet.

L.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

What's so special about that USR modem?  You can buy all sorts of other modems for about $20.

My main usage for a modem these days would be to get call display into my network that could then be broadcast out using somthing like YAC.  But I never really used my fixed line phone anymore.

And 14.4k was LUXURY.  I started using a 300 baud modem on my Commodore VIC-20.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The USR Courier? That was the industry standard at the time of BBS hosts who were in the know! It's basically the Rolls Royce of modems. Yes, there were other Hayes comptible modems out there - I think USR came out with those Sportster modems, but this one was considered the best. It supported the most connectivity options (v.everythig), and had that absolute fastest sustained throughput.

Man, I used to have a BBS where people would dial in to download Kings Quest and stuff like that from me. HAHAHAHA

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

What's so special about that USR modem?  You can buy all sorts of other modems for about $20.

The USR is presumably an old-school hardware modem, not a software 'Winmodem' like the $20 modems...

I'm sure there are PLENTY of legacy business uses (involving equipment that doesn't run Windows) out there for a hardware modem.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@VivienM wrote:

@wayner92 wrote:

The USR is presumably an old-school hardware modem, not a software 'Winmodem' like the $20 modems...

I'm sure there are PLENTY of legacy business uses (involving equipment that doesn't run Windows) out there for a hardware modem.

Spurred on by this thread, I looked up US Robotics, which had been a mainstay of mine for years and years. Seems they are still doing (I assume) a thriving business and that there is still plenty of business application for a dial-up modem. Here is a comparison chart of what they still sell in dial-ups. 

http://www.usr.com/en/products/56k-modem-comparison/

I've Been Around

Rogers loaded 4.2.4.2 on my router last night. When it came back online the SSID key for my 2.4G wireless was changed to "2". 5 G key was unchanged.

This is so wierd that I assumed at first that the router had been hacked and altered but the timing lines up exactly with the firmware update.

There are no posts of a similar experience.

Any thoughts??

I've Been Around

Re the headache for online gamers (latency), is this inherent to the modem or the router portion of the modem? IOW, if I set CGN3 to act just as a modem and connect a third-party router, can I alleviate the latency issues?

My daughter is having real issues with her online gaming and her wireless laptop.

Cheers,