Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: :: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

4.2.4.3 IS the latest... so you have been updated now.

OK.. from what i can FIND (apple doesnt make it easy with the older models).. it appears that DOES have gigabit ports (both LAN and WAN).. so that shouldnt be the issue.

I currently am with a CGN3, latest firmware... only on the 30/5 package.. with a linksys E2500 wireless router set up to serve wireless.. and i can pull pretty much the 30 consistantly from it, and that e2500 only has 100m ports.  So your 18m is ODD.

That you can get the right speeds via wired directly into it... means the MODEM is providing the right speeds.

HOW do you have your airport connected into the CGN3? (into which port on the airport)?
And you have all routing functions turned off on the airport?
Unfortunately i am not an expert with the airport routers.... but i know with some devices, like my e2500 which doesn have a specific ACCESS POINT mode, you need to connect from the CGN3 into it, via a LAN port.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just an example as how the difference of a router/wireless can make sometimes.

With the CGN3, in GATEWAY mode... had my previous Linksys E2500 connected as an Access Point only.
It only has 10/100 WAN and LAN ports.
I am on 30/5 package.
Wireless speed test, when only  6 ft from the router.. got around 28/4.8...

Just swapped to an ASUS N66U router... with gigabit lan and wan ports.. even just better processing, etc inside.

Same distance from the router.
Speed tests now reporting 35/5.5

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had the extreme package up until 2 days ago using the SMC Rogers modem. Speeds were decent then I bridged it with a D-Link 820L router and was very impressed with the speeds. Download speeds were great and wifi download speeds doubled to about 90/10.

I picked up a Hitron CGN3 yesterday, hooked it up and was excited to see that downloads jumped to 195/16 going straight into the router. Though my wifi speeds dropped to about 30/10. I figured once I bridged to my D-Link 820L that I'd once again see an improvement. Instead on the 5ghz channel I'm getting 9/7 and on the 2.4ghz channel I'm getting an abysmal 0.74/0.64 lol.

Ok . is going on here?! I've read a little bit here some talk of firmwares and ensuring I have 4.2.4.3. However, I have no idea if I have it nor can I see anywhere to check firmware or update it.

Can anyone suggest something I should be checking? Should I be calling Rogers or getting a technician down here?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It appears as though your router has 10/100meg ports. There seems to be an issue with the way the CGN3 auto-negotiates speed and duplex settings on anything other than 1 Gig(10/100/1000) ports. I have the same problem with 2 different 10/100 routers bridging to the CGN3. I am purchasing a router with a Gig WAN port to get normal speeds. Currently using the CGN3 in gateway mode and not enjoying it.

The firmware will apply in 2-3 days...seems to apply faster if you are running in gateway mode. It may or may not solve your issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm pretty sure I saw speeds over 100mbs occassionally on this D-Link router.. But either way how should that effect my wifi speeds? Even without bridging my wi-fi speeds suck on the CGN3.

As for the firmware does it take a few days before it's applied? Not sure I understood that part.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The firmware usually takes 3 days to be pushed out to you, from rogers end.

This MIGHT fix some of of the issues..

Asmentioned.. there seems to be some issues with some 10/100 devices negotiating properly.. .and if they do, might not be providing proper speeds. 

All in all, to gain the BEST performance out of using a 3rd party router.. you likely would want to upgrad to one with 10/100/1000 LAN and WAN ports (wan being very important).   A 10/100 would be a choke point for the speed anyways.

(alternatively.. after the firmware update, you could try using the unit in bridged mode, with using your router, just as an Access Point..  it MIGHT not be as effected by the 10/100 issue (i had a linksys 10/100 one fine, with the CGN3 as an AP just fine) but provide you better wireless coverage.   You just need to use the CGN 3 for all routing functions etc.

If you are not doing any advanced setup, maybe beyond some port forwarding, etc, the CGN should be fine.
More advanced users, like sbenninger, its not quite up to par.  (I am an advanced user.. but dont set up MOST of that in my home setup, only at work))

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so I'll wait it out a few days I suppose and see if the speeds improve. Can I stay in bridged mode for the firmware to be applied or should I stay connected directly to the Hitron?

Let's say best case scenario the update applies and speeds are back to normal.. Should I be concerned with performance of any other devices hardwired directly into my D-Link after I'm bridged? I have a couple Xbox's, my TV, bluray etc. And I have about a dozen ports I'm forwarding on my D-Link as well. 

I have no problem upgrading to a new router with 10/100/1000 ports however I did just buy this D-Link router about 4 months ago so it's a bit crappy I'd have to upgrade to a model I could've just paid another $20 for to buy.

Wondering if you can give me a recommendation between the D-Link 850L for $100 or the D-Link 868L for $168? Both have the 10/100/1000 ports but the 868L seems to be the fancier model. I just want to make sure I don't need another modem for a while.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The update SHOULD apply otherwise.. problem is, you cant easily check, when not in bridged mode 😞

This is where router providers, are REALLY pissing me off..

Your 820L... Dual band, AC1200 (so not the newest AC, but still AC, so a step up from N only)... overall a decent router.
BUT WAIT....  10/100 ports ONLY.
Really.. even the MAX 300Mbps on the 2.4 frequency???... ONLY good for between device to device then.. since they have neutered the wan port at 100.

In the end, you would never get your MAX plan speed, through it.  Device to device.. your fine.

Maybe see if you can re-sell your old one, to someone who isnt on as high of a plan.

Either of the two you posted.. have 10/100/1000 ports.. so should be fine.  Really in the end, would be how much you want to futureproof your setup (AC 1750 is newer than AC 1200....they even have AC1900 now).

PERSONALLY i cant vouch for how well those routers work.. how the processing is in them, etc.. (i have had BAD experiences with dlink in the past, so tend to shy away from them now personally.)

You would be suprised though, how the RIGHT router, can make a difference.
I am on the 30/5 plan.  So a 10/100 router would be more than good enough, thats what i used to have, an linksys e2500.  Was pretty fine, got 23/4 on it wireless.. so was pretty content. (allthough with wired, speedtest could get 35/5, due to speed boost).
Wireless range, due to the built in antenna.. missed a few corners of the house.
So went with the ASUS RT-N66U.  External antennas, so gets MUCH better range.  10/100/1000 port.. but for me that shouldnt effect speed, right?
Just the PROCESSING POWER of the router itself, is night and day.  I actully can pull the same if not BETTER than a wired machine sometimes via my wireless.

Other models to consider (but may be a little higher $$)
Asus AC Models - All are well reviewed, but pricey

Netgear AC Models - I know a few with the R7000.  Best pricepoint AC1900 router out there, and works very well.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@lundon44 wrote:

Wondering if you can give me a recommendation between the D-Link 850L for $100 or the D-Link 868L for $168? Both have the 10/100/1000 ports but the 868L seems to be the fancier model. I just want to make sure I don't need another modem for a while.

Any particular reason for your D-Link loyalty?

I've had my share of D-Link products (routers, switches, NICs, powerline gear, you name it, pretty much) over the years, and they all had a tendency to degrade in performance/reliability/etc after a year or two.

Now using Asus - I can't comment on the hardware's durability yet, but the software is miles ahead of D-Link's...

I Plan to Stick Around

I installed this modem a week ago in bridge mode. How will I know if the firmware is updated? Does Rogers do it automatically? I don't want to unbridge it to check, So far no problems, using with Asus AC router.