Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: :: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

Yeah, your router should be able to handle it no problem.

First let me get the context right: everything we are talking about is based on wired connections, right? From here can you plug I'm your system directly to the bridge and do a speedtest? Do you get full speed when you do that? If so, I would start looking into the dd-wrt configuration. If not, and you still get 80mbps, there's something else going on , on the CGN.
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, and also, what version of dd-wrt are you running? After some reading, it seems like Kong's build is probably the best of the bunch, and offers optimized performance for your router and for the wireless as well.

I also heard from some users that many like to use Merlin's Tower as well - I think it's available solely for Asus branded devices and may offer some performance benefits, but forgoing some more nich features that many users may not need. You get the latest build of Kong's dd-wrt for your router here:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/

You can hit up Merlin's Tower here:

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/

I'm Here A Lot

We are talking about wired yeah.  

I tried with a direct connection and it does seem faster then when the router is in the mix.  

Is there a way I can specifically test WAN-to-LAN throughput on a router?

I'm Here A Lot

I actually was running kongs but am contemplating going to merlins as you mentioned Smiley Happy

I'm Here A Lot

As an update,

I just went to Merlins build and I am achieving over 200Mb now as I would expect.

Thank you so much for your help!  

Really hoping this new firmware stays stable and I can finally enjoy the 250Mb down plan as it should be enjoyed!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Glad I could help! That's weird that Kong's firmware would actually take that much of a hit - There's a bunch of people using that router, so any issue regarding that router should get resolved pretty fast. Have a look at this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=804169

It seems a few people are having the same issues as you with dd-wrt.

Cheers!

I'm Here A Lot

That is very interesting actually.  It also seems to spell out my issue.  On that router dd-wrt seems to have an issue due to either CPU load or being unable to support FAST NAT.

Very interesting.  Geeze... I honestly never though my fairly state of the art router would have been an issue.

I can't rememebr why I had switched off of merlins build in the first place, probably just because I had used dd-wrt and had been comfortable with it in the past.  Either way, all of the functions that I use my router for as there so I am hoping this is the ideal solution. Smiley Happy

I'm a Regular

Well I just upgraded from the CGN2 to this CGN3 today for the 250 / 20 speeds... It is in gateway mode with 2.4Ghz wifi on, whilst I have a 5GHz AP separate so 5G is disabled on my CGN3. Overall 2.4 Ghz performance on the CGN3 is lightyears ahead of the CGN2. But i'm still not pushed to 4.2.4.3 Smiley Sad
Im on 4.2.4.1 and my record so far is almost an hour without reboot. Called in to tech today to see if they could push the update and it failed on their end, so they escalated it to a "ticket" and i will get an sms when it is "resolved" ... Within 24 hours they said... I may phone again to bug them Smiley Tongue

I tried factory resetting it to make it push the update out but no dice. Any suggestions besides wait for rogers to push it out?
I also cant use the 192.168.0.1 interface beyond signing in and looking at the status screen. If i try to edit the Wireless settings or even just log out it freezes up, but i can then navigate to the internet fine after.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the locking up of the screen.. is another bug of that firmware.  Should mostly be fixed with the new firmware.

If you cant get them to push it out manually.. you may just have to wait Smiley Sad  Seems like it takes a number of days (less than a week) for it to auto push out to most people.

I'm a Regular

Ugh... Hopefully the ticket i had sent in will have it pushed within 24 hours as the lady on the phone said. Thanks for the prompt response Gd. Smiley Happy