Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Where to download? :: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

To repeat Vise's question - If you are in Bridge mode then how can you tell that you have been upgraded, short of doing a factory reset?

I am on bridge mode and I doubt that I have been upgraded as my internet dropped at about 12:30am.

@LYuan - you have now had the new firmeware for over 48 hours - is it still stable?

I Plan to Stick Around

Once you are already bridged I think the only way to tell would be for you to reset the modem, check your version, and then bridge it again.

Before you bridge it again, I would take down the IP address in the DOCSIS WAN tab that starts with a 7.  I beleive you can log into the web UI with it once bridged but I have yet to confirm that.

Highlighted

I have tried taking down that IP address, I think it calls it the Cable Modem IP that is something like 7.73.162.X and then getting at that IP from a PC on my LAN that I give an IP on the same subnet, but that didn't work.  It reported that the Gateway was 7.73.160.1 - maybe I just entered the wrong IPv4 settings in Windows?  I am guessing that I would have needed a  subnet of something like 255.255.252.0 given the range between the Cable Modem IP and Gateway IP.  But I wouldn't think it would matter whether I could reach the Gateway or not as all I need is a connection between my local PC and the Cable Modem part of the CGN3.

I Plan to Stick Around

That ip should be an external ip, you don't use it for your network settings at all.  If you just put it into your web browser it should bring you to the web ui of the rogers router.

It works in Gateway mode, I am hoping it also works briged.

I Plan to Stick Around

@wayner92 - Yep, stable no matter what I do to it - I might even have to stop complaining!! 😄

I Plan to Stick Around

Very glad to hear that the CGN3 is stable now in bridge mode, but super frustrated that mine hasn't received the update yet. Guess I'll wait until the 7th to complain again.

I Plan to Stick Around

@kibosh wrote:

Once you are already bridged I think the only way to tell would be for you to reset the modem, check your version, and then bridge it again.

Before you bridge it again, I would take down the IP address in the DOCSIS WAN tab that starts with a 7.  I beleive you can log into the web UI with it once bridged but I have yet to confirm that.

You can always check a bridge mode modem at http://192.168.100.1 - though depending on your router you may need to do some tweaking to get it to pass this address through the NAT (many routers filter RFC1918 destinations from inside the LAN to to the WAN).

With TomatoUSB at least you can add the "router IP address" in the basic setup page to get it to pass this properly.

My CGN2 is in bridge mode and I can easily access it through my N66u running Shibby this way. Same with the DPC3825 in bridge mode as well.

I am pretty sure that I tried the 192.168.100.1 method and it didn't work with the CGN3. FYI - my router is an Asus RT-N66U.
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure how this would work as it is a different subnet that the external IP you are getting if you are truly in bridge mode. Are you adding a static route and gateway to get to it? 

I set a static IP on one of my PCs to 192.168.100.2 and couldn't seem to access 192.168.100.1 - what should I put in for Gateway, or does that even matter in this instance?

And anyone know what if I have to do any tweaking on my Asus modem to allow this through to the WAN? Or should I even try directly connecting a PC to one of the modem/gateway ports?