Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

you know I'm not going to bother with Ignite. I think I read that it has only two ports. I might as well go with a third party router which I already have. Also there would be a charge?   Why cannot Rogers tell Hitron to allow multiple rules for the same MAC address. Maybe limit it to 2 rules.

I Plan to Stick Around

Adding Multiple Time Restrictions on a Single Device

I have a Hitron CGN3 modem and the software on it allows me to add devices in a managed devices area where I can prevent the device from going online from a start time to an end time.

image.png

However, I can only add on of these time blocks per device. I would like to add two or more per device. So I am wondering whether any other modems support multiple time blocks per device, or whether the Ignite Wifi Hub allows it.

With the previous modem I used to run it in bridged mode with a router which had a lot of controls, but when I upgraded to the Hitron I found the router was acting more of a bottle neck, so I removed it. Do you think I have to buy a new router in order to get that kind of functionality?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank there's a couple of issues here.  The first is the type of modem which is linked to the service level that you have with your internet plan.  To change the modem you would have to increase the data rate to move up to the Hitron CODA-4582, or you would have to change to the Ignite TV plan which uses the XB6 modem, either the Arris TG-3482ER or the Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  

Even with that I don't know if the Hitron CODA-4582 supports multiple time frames for any device filtering, I suspect not.  I'm running that modem in Bridge mode, so, can't switch over to Gateway mode without a family riot occurring, sorry.  

The XB6 modems, don't know. 

The solution to the problem is probably to kick the modem into Bridge mode with a router behind it that supports multiple time frames for parental control.  Don't quote me on that one, but I strongly suspect that's the only solution to the problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Datalink. I think I may be able go to the Hitron CODA-4582 as I am on 300Mbps, but it sounds like that it still won't be able to do what I want.

I avoided going the Ignite TV route earlier on this year as the TV part still doesn't seem mature enough.

I noticed that earlier on in this thread you posted a link to the user manual for the Hitron CGN3 modem. That link no longer works. Do you happen to know where I can still find the manual, out of interest?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank check your messages.  I've sent a link to download the manual.  Note that its dated 2013 and there doesn't appear to be an updated version anywhere.