Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

I can't think of anything different for an Apple device, but I wonder if it might be necessary to use an IP reservation for the time restrictions to work as you would expect.  I've never set the restrictions up, so I don't know if they are based on an IP address or MAC address, so, this might be one idea to check.

I Plan to Stick Around

With the aid of a very helpful Rogers TechXpert assistant, via remote control, the conclusion was that I needed to upgrade my router. Which is odd being that this thread shows that it's possible with the 'CGN3'. 

I was informed that I need to switch it for a 'CGN3-ACR'. Apparently with the latter model, there is no need/request for login credentials after you click 'Finish'. 

I'll update later on when I have the chance to get to a rogers location. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pottertons,if its going to cost a couple of bucks to go to the next CGN3ACR, consider going up to the next version which is the CGN3ACSMR.  That modem has a firmware release out to take care of the latency to and thru the modem.  If you ping the CGN3 that you have, you will see that the ping time averages about 5 ms and the ping times aren't stable. The same goes for the CGN3ACR.  The CGN3ACSMR, with firmware version 4.5.8.16 has an average ping time of 1 ms with the odd high time ping here and there.  It might arrive with firmware version 4.4.8.14, and if so, its not usable for anything but web cruising for 48 to 72 hours after it goes online.  Within that timeframe version 4.5.8.16 will be pushed to the modem.  If you pick up a CGN3ACSMR and it arrives with 4.5.8.16, you're all set.   Fwiw......

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

I really hope that someone can assist.

When I go to "manage" my devices, I only get the option to Block or include, but no time of day option.  Does anyone know how to get this option working? I have a CGN3ACSMR with firmwear version 4.5.8.21.  

Thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@czarfromafar here's the link for the CGN3 user manual:

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

Have a look at page 97 to control the managed time for the added devices.  It looks like you would have to add the device that you want to control as a managed device, and that should give you access to the fields where you can manage the time each day.  

What I don't know, as I have never tried this, is what happens when you have a mix of managed and unmanaged devices on the network.  You might have to add all devices as managed devices, and only select the one or two that you specifically want to control.  The other devices would be in the managed list, but not controlled in any fashion.  

Give that a try to see if it does what you are attempting to do.  

The other possibility is to use the setup USB stick that comes with the modem.  That contains a program on it that accesses the modem and allows you to set up a guest account and parental control from what I remember.  I don't recommend using the USB stick as I bricked a perfectly functioning modem by attempting to use it as was intended.  So, that might be food for thought.  

Beyond that, you might have to consider buying a third party router that will give you parental controls, allowing you to set on/off time periods.  If you do go that route, buy a router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports and external antenna.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Datalink, I guess what I mean is that my screen does not have the "manage all day" toggle, just "manage devices". I took a look at the Hitron website to see if I need a firmware update, but i cannot see one there. Any ideas?
I've Been Here Awhile

Silly me. I was looking at the wrong tab. Thanks Datalink.

Now I have to figure out how to work within the timer constraints to block off time for two sets of contiguous time in a day.

I Plan to Stick Around

@czarfromafar wrote:

Silly me. I was looking at the wrong tab. Thanks Datalink.

Now I have to figure out how to work within the timer constraints to block off time for two sets of contiguous time in a day.

Are you looking to block two separate devices at the same time? 

i.e son and daughters device from 5pm - 6pm? 

- In the top list 'Connected devices' select 'Manage' for the respective device you wish to monitor.

- In the pop-up screen select 'YES' and then 'Apply' in the 'Device Managed' row

You will now see this device in the bottom list...'Managed Devices'

- From this list select 'Manage' again, which will bring up the 'Manage Device' window. 

- Select 'NO' in the 'Manage All Day' row and the window will expand with a 'Managed Weekdays' section available.

- Select the days of the week which you wish to manage your device for. They will be highlighted green once selected

- Now select the timeframe you wish to do this in. 

- Select 'Apply' 

- Now that you're back to the 'Device Filter' page click on 'Save Changes' at the bottom. 

- Follow the same procedure for the other devices you wish to manage. 

Additional Notes:

For the 'Block Rules',

- Block Listed: block every device that's in the 'Managed Devices' list. 

- Allow Listed: Allow connection for ONLY the devices in the managed list (this heading threw me off at first)

- Allow All: Allow all devices in your 'Connected Devices' list. 

Hopefully this helps a bit. 

I'm Here A Lot

if you change the time setting to the time zone to the west then you can restrict access across midnight.  For example I'm in the eastern time zone so I can restrict only from 22:00 to 23:59.  If I set the time zone to central time then I can restrict from 21:00 to 23:59 central time which is 22:00 to 01:00 eastern time.

or door number two Rogers can tell Hitron to fix its routers

I've Been Around

Bell has the feature with their modem that is so very easy to control which kid in my home used the wifi and when. I truly regret leaving Bell for Rogers