Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CGNM-2250 - Customize Access Settings?

Have you all heard of Linksys Smart Wi-Fi?

It allows the parent to blockoff times of an hour. I had my sons iPhone set as follows:

No access:

9pm - 7am

4pm - 6pm

Access:

6pm - 9pm

My younger guy:

No access:

8pm-8am

Access:

3 - 4pm

No access:

5-6pm

Access

7-8pm

Off he goes to bed!  It was great.... now I have this Hitron CGN that will allow blocking overnight or during the day, but nothing in comparison the the Smart Wi-Fi of Linksys!  Also, the Devices all came in a list, all you had to do is to select edit, and hilite squares = Hour(s)/day.

I'm looking for a 3rd party s/w that will do this.  I really wish Linksys could work. 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CGNM-2250 - Customize Access Settings?

It can.

All you have to do, is go into the gateway, and select the option to "turn off commercial gateway".
This will put it what is called BRIDGE MODE.

After making that setting, the unit will reboot.  Make sure everything is unpluged from it.

First thing to plug in, would be your linksys (or any other 3rd party router).  Best to do it from a CLEAN wipe on the linksys as well.
The linksys will connect to the modem, and take over for ALL routing and wireless functions... the linksys will have the MODEMS IP address, etc..  the built in stuff completely out of the picture.

I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

I am having the same problem. 

I can input the MAC info and the time limit, but it does not want to save. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried to use the Manage function located at the right hand side of the Connected Devices list instead of manually adding the device?  I'm wondering if that would work as it should and allow you to specify the managed (blocked) times.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out the best way as well. Without having to purchase another router and setting up bridge mode.

Would be nice if we could set a number of time frames for each device, rather than being restricted to one. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I followed these steps in order to restrict my teen's access, but for whatever reason, it did not work and he still has access to the internet all night long. Help please.

I've Been Here Awhile

When I add his device using "manage" and then save and then refresh the connect screen to see if he is still connected, it turns out he is. THis is very frustrating and the Rogers techs won't help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a link to the CGN3 manual.  If you haven't read thru this manual previously, take a look at page 99 and 100 which details the manage device function throughout the day.

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/b443bbd36fcf458a883231f34d6f24aa/hitron-cgn3res-user-guide.pdf

It looks like a two step process, select and decide to manage the device, and then select the various times that are blocked (managed).  Is it possible that you are misinterpreting the red background which indicates that the device will be managed (access will be blocked), and a green background indicates that the device will not be managed (access will not be blocked)?

I've Been Around

Further question on this issue of restricting time of usage.  I set the same time restrictions for both an android based phone in the house and a new ipod.  I found the restrictions worked as scheduled with the android but have restricted the ipod for what appears to be the whole day.  Both settings are identical.  Anything unusual with apple devices here?

lamp

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Hello @lamp1962

Thank you for your post and welcome to the ForumsSmiley Wink!

This might be something one of our Resident Experts @Datalink or @Gdkitty might be able to assist with.

RogersSannecia