Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

I would like to be able to set a time schedule for access for the kid's computers so for example they have access between 4 pm and 8 pm only. As a bonus it'd be great if I could specify a total time limit allowance during that period.

Can this modem do this? If not, is there a piece of equipment that can do this?

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings?

None of the rogers gatways have that... not even all 3rd party routers do.

Those features do exist.. you just need to find the right 3rd party one that does.

TIME ALLOWANCE is a rare thing to find but does exist.. but you should be able to get one that does the time of day.

Usually, what you have to do is get the MAC address of the one connected (phone, pc, whatever), and then enter it in on a table on the routers setup.. from there can set the usage schedule for it, etc.

Most of the current model ASUS routers i beleive do have this.
http://event.asus.com/2013/nw/ASUSWRT/index.htm

Samle of the interface
http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/ParentalControl.html

All that being said... which internet package are you on?  IF you are introducing a router like this into your household, there may not be a need for the CGN3 gateway you have.. as it would pretty much all be disabled.   As long as you are not on a package which requires it like the ultimate internet.. you would be better to then just step down a modem to one of the others and save some of the modem rental $

I'm a Trusted Contributor

If your kids' computers connected with CGN3 over wireless connection you can easily setup a connection schedule on CGN3. This feature is available and working. However it is not possible to allocate a time limit per device using CGN3 and I cannot even think of the device that can do this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh it is on the CGN3?

My mistake then.. i thought it was not, but that likely was on the ORIGINAL firmware when it came out.. which also had a bunch of stuff like the USB, etc locked on it as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Any info on how to set this up would be great. I have tried several times with no luck...either changes don't save or I end up blocking internet to everything which I then need to do a reset just to get back online.

Thanks

I've Been Around

I too would appreciate the instructions to manage time of day access. I see nothing even close when logged in to the modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To do this on the cgn3

Go to the security section.

Then to the device filter tab.

Then down to manage device, and add managed device.

You will need to find out the MAC address of the device.

Enter it here, and then click on the manage all day and change the option.
It should give you days of the week and what time to allow usage.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The best solution to this problem, and many other problems with the CGN3, is to put it in bridge mode and use your own router.  Then you can fully control the functionality of your firmware.

I've Been Around

If using the device filter aread to set the MACs, dates, times, and chooisng block, it appears that you can't cross midnight. For example, I was going to block access to a couple devices from 9pm - 7 am (you know, in case the kids wake up in the middle of the night) but it won't allow me to accept the changes. 21:00 - 23:59 appears to be my only option at that point.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried the same MAC address more than once in the list so that you can cover the whole night?

I'm assuming that you changed the modem system time by going into the ADMIN....TIME SETTING page.  Have a look at the following thread which discusses that page, just as a heads up in case you are going down the same road.  Go from post #9 to the end:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...

If you have changed the system time and haven't seen any strange unexpected effects on the modem, can you let us know. 

thanks.