Rogers Hitron CGN2 not working in bridge mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Hitron CGN2 not working in bridge mode

Hello:

Recently I have signed up for Rogers Ignite 30 service. Included in that is the Hitron CGN2 modem. I have my own wi-fi router which a Cisco Valet M10 running DD-WRT firmware.

I did some reading on how to setup this modem in bridge mode as it's recommended to use your own wi-fi router. This is what I did.

First attempt

- Plugged a LAN cable into the LAN 1 port in the modem and into my laptop

- Logged into the modem 192.168.0.1 using cusadmin/password

- Disabled Wi-Fi : Wireless > Disable Wi-Fi

- Status > Capability > Unchecked “Residential Gateway function” and “UPnP”

- In Status > CM Status, wrote down  “Cable Modem IP”.  It is used for accessing the modem later, in my case, it is 7.21.xxx.xxx

- Modem rebooted

- I am able to get internet connectivity in my laptop from the modem's LAN 1 port

- Removed the LAN cable from my laptop and plugged it into the WAN port of the wi-fi router (IP 192.168.1.2)

- My laptop is able to connect to my SSID, however no internet 😞

- Rebooted my router several times, connected to it's web interface, did a DHCP release/renew on it, still no internet 😞

Second attempt

- Plugged a LAN cable into the LAN 1 port in the modem and into my laptop

- Changed the IP on my laptop's network card to be in the 7.21.xxx.xxx range

- Logged into modem's IP 7.21.xxx.xxx using cusadmin/password

- Status > Capability > Checked “Residential Gateway function” and “UPnP”, left the Wi-Fi disabled

- Modem rebooted

- Removed the LAN cable from my laptop and plugged it into the WAN port of the wi-fi router (IP 192.168.1.2)

- My laptop is able to connect to my SSID and I have internet 🙂

My question is: why did I not have any internet on my wi-fi router even after following the (correct) process to put the CGN2 in bridge mode? Or did I miss something?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Re: Rogers Hitron CGN2 not working in bridge mode

Hello, @indo_canadian

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for the detailed post, certain routers take a little while to acquire the IP address. 

@indo_canadian wrote:

- I am able to get internet connectivity in my laptop from the modem's LAN 1 port

Your above observation validates the bridge mode is functional as the laptop can get the IP address. I would suggest to attempt again and allow the router to acquire the IP address. And also make sure your router is in router mode as I believe you may have the option to enable AP only mode on your router. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello @RogersMoin:

I did wait for a while and still the WAN IP in my router's web gui showed as 0.0.0.0. I will have to re-try this and give it some more time I guess.

Thanks.

I'm Here A Lot

I have the same issue. When I bridge the modem and connect it to the router's WAN, it isn't assigned an IP address and remains at 0.0.0.0

If i connect the modem to a computer directly (while in bridge mode) I get internet just fine.

How come the router isn't picking up an IP?

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

It may or may not make a difference but, when bridging a modem we ask that the ethernert be connected, unplug the router and the modem. Then plug the modem in first and when the 4 lights on the right of this modem are solid, only then plug the power in for the router. Won't hurt to try it this way.

PS, on Hitron modems only, it does not matter which ethernet port is used as long as there is only the one ethernet port is used. No other connections at all.

Brian

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually for the Hitron modems as a whole, that's not true.  For the Hitron CGN3xxx series modems, the limit for IPV4 addresses is 2, ie, 2 ports connected, there is no limit for IPV6 addresses.  So, in theory, in Bridge mode, you can use all 4 ports, but only two of those will get IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, the remaining two should end up with IPV6 addresses only.  I've run the CGN3ACSMR, CGNM-3552 and CODA-4582 with 2 ports connected and did not have any problems with either port.  

I would have to find out if the CGN2 offers the same.

I'm Here A Lot

Tried waiting for the modem to boot before pluging in the router, but the issue is still unresolved.

As a workaround, I kept the gateway function active on the modem but disabled NAT and Wifi, then set DMZ on the modem to link to the third party router (to forward all traffic to it).

With this set-up, I get internet on my router, however it's basically a 2 router set-up and not ideal. Also I'm noticing connection drops after some time I have to reboot the modem. Happens daily.

I'm using a TP-Link Archer C2600 router. It's set to get a Dynamic IP address. 

Any ideas on how to get it to work with the bridge mode? I'm hoping the bridge mode will resolve the connection drops.

Could I possibly use a different internet connection method (static IP?)... for some reason while the modem is in brige mode, Rogers is not assigning an external IP address to the router, but assigns one to the computer just fine.

Any help is appreciated! thanks.

--EDIT--

I might be in the wrong thread. I'm actually using Hitron CODA-4582 and seems like a known issue:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3928...

Issues getting an IP in bridge mode

We have been able to reproduce this on D-Link routers. It is an bug in the D-Link firmware (DD-WRT doesn’t have the bug) but we are looking at ways to mitigate it from the modem side.

If this issue occurs routers other than D-Link, let me know as I’ll need to investigate further.

Also reported but not tested on: TPLink C2600 and Netgear WNR2000v5

Update Jan 10: A problem was identified in the way D-Link routers are executing a DHCP request and a workaround is being put in place. The fix will likely address the TP-Link case as well. This fix will be included in firmware 2.0.10.21.

My current firmware is 2.0.10.19, so I think I just need to wait for the update for this to be fixed.

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

Rather that continuing to test this to resolve the issue, you may try swapping it out for another one. Either the Cisco DPC3825 or the Hitron CGN2 are included with your plan at no additionall charge. Out of the 2, the Cisco is my choice.

Brian