Rogers Gateway vs Personal Dedicated Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
21Rouge
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Gateway vs Personal Dedicated Router

Rogers tech via chat confirmed the modem is in bridge mode.

I asked why I couldnt log into the modem using the default settings and was told by one rep that because the modem is bridged the wireless on the modem is turned off. You need to be directly connected to the modem to log into it.

(And the cable had to be in Port 1 as the modem is currently in bridge mode).

Does that make sense? (I havent tried that yet)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That makes absolutely no sense at all.  Ok, if port 1 is required, simply connect your router to port 1.  Wait until you have internet access, and then use 192.168.100.1 to log into the modem, if you're looking to do that.  The WAN IP numbers don't make sense, but, it is what it is.  Where are you located?  Just curious.

I've always used ports 3 and 4 to connect to the modem, and that goes way back to the CGN3 days when the CGN3 modems were first released.  

Ok, knowing that the modem is in Bridge mode, that means that you should be able to use one other port to connect the new router, given that Rogers supports two connected devices when the modem is in Bridge mode.  You can then set up the new router, leaving the old router up and running until you're ready to switch over, or, you can keep the old router running as well.  Keep in mind the age of the router and whether or not its received any recent updates.  While you're setting up the new router, run a firmware check to see if there are any updates that need to be loaded.    

You can also daisy chain the routers for set up purposes, that is, put the new router behind the old router, connected to one of the old router's lan ports.  When you're done with any new router updates and making any changes to the settings, you can reboot the new router and connect it to the modem.  Done .... miller time as they say 🙂

21Rouge
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the many detailed replies Datalink. Given that I am confident that the Rogers modem is in BRIDGE MODE (as confident as I can w/o being able to log into the modem) I just plan to remove the existing old router and replace it with the new one).

Just to see that dload and upload #s are at least as good with the new device I would like to do a comparison.

Which speedtest website would you suggest I use for such a comparison?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I normally use speedtest.net   It will select what it thinks is the best site for you, but, if it doesn't come up with a Rogers test site, go ahead and change it, and when the next page comes up to select a site, type in Rogers in the entry window and hit the enter or return key.  That will display all of the Rogers speedtest sites.  From that list, select the nearest Rogers server.  Second choice would be Rogers Toronto, third choice would be Rogers Montreal.  

You can also try http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

That's a short test but it actually works pretty well. 

To get back into the modem, you can always run a factory reset by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds.  When you release it, the modem will initiate a factory reset and reboot back into Gateway mode.  From there, start the login process at 192.168.0.1 and you will see the start of the modem set up sequence.  From what I remember, all you need to do is enter the wifi passphrase at which point the sequence ends.  Unless Rogers has change this, the sequence ends and the modem becomes operational.  Then you would have to log back into the modem at 192.168.0.1, using the newly entered wifi passphrase as the modem's password.  The username is cusadmin.  

All you have to do at that point is kick the modem back into Bridge mode by navigating to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and disabling the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the Changes and the modem will reboot into Bridge mode.  That whole process should take 5 minutes or less, and when its done, you will now have the ability to log back into the modem (in Bridge mode) by using 192.168.100.1