Rogers Gaming & Streaming Lab

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rogers Gaming & Streaming Lab

Good morning @Mavey!

Welcome to our Community!

Upstream packet loss will certainly make it difficult to stream and game online in general. That's what we made this lab for though! You've come to the right place for help with this.

You've given us the Upstream and Downstream information, thank you for that! Now, we need two more pieces of information from you before we can offer our full assistance.

Could you please provide:

1. A current ping test result from the command prompt to google.com
  2. A current traceroute from command prompt to the streaming/gaming service you’re connecting to. (their support can provide you with that IP if necessary). 

Once we have these test results, we'll have all the information we need to move forward with a diagnosis.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Hello! I woke up to surprising news today, Rogers people apparently came over and did something with the box outside (I live in a building) and that seems to have fixed my low upload speeds and packet loss.

I'm Here A Lot

So I'm still getting packet loss, here are some ping tests
googleca ping test.png.LoL NA ping test.png

I'm Here A Lot

After everything that's happened I decided to factory reset my CODA-4582U to see if that would help any, I re-did the ping tests and had %0 packet loss. I know that a full reboot can sometimes be a temporary fix but I will do a little more tests and gaming to see if things have actually improved, I don't see how it would unless DNS servers actually can effect packet loss in some way. I'll update again in some time if the packet loss came back or if the factory reset somehow worked.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here's my update in case it helps anyone.

I organized for a technician to come out about a month ago. He put a 'reducer' the back of my modem. It was explained to me that it helps regulate the signal; maybe @RogersAndy can provide more technical details on what it does.

Since then, I haven't experienced any lag spikes or rubber banding in my games.

Thanks for the help @RogersAndy ! I'll post here again if I experience any more issues.

Good morning @angral!

That's most excellent! I'm pleased to hear that your service has improved since the reducer was installed.

If you're looking for a little more information on it, I'd be happy to share. Essentially, our modems operate within a certain frequency range. If the signal goes too high or too low, it can cause a range of issues to crop up. We use reducers or amplifiers to reduce or boost the signal to ensure it's within the proper range if necessary.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

So as I thought before my issue was indeed a bufferbloat issue because of the CODA-4582U, my testing done on DSL Reports would give me grades between C and D, so I used some bandwidth limiting software and I'm now getting A to A+. dsl reports recent testing.pngThe first half is without the software, last half is with it.
bufferbloat test 2.pngOf course I limited my speeds but I'd much rather prefer a smoother experience. Smiley Happy Glad that It's over with. Also, that lone B rank was from tweaking settings to find what's most optimal, it is consistently now an A.

I've Been Around

Hi, when i first switched to Rogers June '18, the gigabit speeds always showed up fine in normal testing, but I was having intermittent packet loss and ping spikes.  A dozen technician visits later, incl network team, eventually the OOTP found a way to correct it.  Since then I've been part of the firmware trial.  

A few months ago, I lost the ability to stream, something was choking the upload.  Everything else using upstream flowed just fine.  Streaming to Youtube and twitch were the only problems.  Going thru the same song and dance again, I can stream perfectly on rare occasion, particularly at lowest use times (and when someone from rogers is checking).  I had thought the problem was on my end, then I figured out it was on Rogers' end.  Then I found this thread.  Please address this.  Thank you.

Also the ping to google is much higher than when I checked after switching from bell last year.  And yes, removing my secondary router changes nothing.  I've had high signal issues, various Rogers entities keep adjusting it up and down, it is not the culprit where streaming is concerned as it doesn't seem to have any correlation to the rare times I can stream.  When a tech was here last at 10am, he said the signal was too high, yet the stream was perfect at that time. 

signal.jpg

ping.jpg

trace.jpg

Good evening @Darkhaze,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! We're glad you found our Gaming Lab and hope we can help track down the issue you're having.

Your signal is on the higher end of the spectrum so we'll need to take a deeper look into that. Your ping tests show a higher ping once you leave the Rogers network so there might be a routing issue, however, where you're having trouble at peak times; It would be best for us to test your area for congestion or a signal issue.

Please send us a PM to @CommunityHelps so we can have a further look. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find the instructions here.

RogersTim

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi how can I get 1 of these "reducer" ? can I go to my loca; Rogers store to get it? (I usually go there to exchange my tv boxes / cable modes) 

Thank You.