Rogers Gaming & Streaming Lab

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Gaming & Streaming Lab

@ㅇㅅㅇ wrote:

After 2 months of having the same issues and them not acknowledging it through numerous techs, they offered to credit me >$5 for 2 months of massive ping spikes and refuse to believe there's an issue when I've showed them traceroutes and ping plotters. The support is an absolute joke.

Are you still experiencing any specific issues with your Internet service now?  The images that you attached will not be visible until they are approved by a Moderator, and as this is your first post to the Forum, we do not have any past history to go on or any information about your current setup from a networking perspective.

Regarding problems that many of us have been discussing here, when I discovered exactly where the latency and jitter were being introduced, the Mods were instrumental in passing on my findings and test results internally.  Actually, I have always found the entire @CommunityHelps  team to be extremely helpful.

I do not know what to say about your compensation.  The Mods are not the ones making decisions about what can or cannot be offered.  These latency issues are not considered an outage.  As residential customers, we also do not get any service level guarantees beyond satisfying the general expectation that we get the connection speeds that we pay for, and even those are subject to constraints.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

If they're refusing to acknowledge ping tests and ping plotter charts, so that kind of answers the question, yes, it's the same issue that's been happening for 2 months(and corresponding for 2 months with Rogers). This started happening immediately after I switched to fibre. Clearly they have not been an instrumental help to most people on the forum from other responses. Nothing has improved and they "can't find anything" because they ping test once during times when the internet is fine instead of a constant monitor. I was even told 8% packet loss wasn't a big deal when gaming. Imagine getting lag spikes 5 times every 60 seconds while gaming and it being not a big deal. 14% packet loss when pinging Google's DNS server which was ignored since apparently it doesn't mean anything if I ping DNS server instead of google.com, even though another Rogers employee told me to do so. I've tried on 2 different wired computers and on wifi, all have the same lags. I've swapped out the coax cable 3x, 2 of which are the ones sent with the modem. They absolutely disregard any findings on pingplotter.

I get the same responses from them as that OP.  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Brutal-latency-ping-Recently/m-p/454889/highlight/tru... Honestly that thread just seems like a ton of people with the same problems and not having it solved.

And this guy https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Brutal-latency-ping-Recently/m-p/455846/highlight/tru...

Seems like most people just give up. The most they do is say wait for a tech and when the tech comes nothing is fixed. Which is exactly what I'm being told right now since "we can't find any problems". It's very nice of you to reply but there's 80 pages of people discussing the same problems theyre having.

You pretending like there's a solve or fix it for Roger's problem that they refuse to acknowledge is beyond me and only helping conceal the majorly wide issue instead of holding them accountable.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ㅇㅅㅇ wrote:

If they're refusing to acknowledge ping tests and ping plotter charts, so that kind of answers the question, yes, it's the same issue that's been happening for 2 months(and corresponding for 2 months with Rogers). This started happening immediately after I switched to fibre.

When you say switched to fibre, what equipment do you have installed in your home?  Does the fibre plug into an RFoG ONU (that basically just converts a signal delivered over fibre to coax; mature technology) or is Rogers finally installing PON Gateways (such as the Arris x5001), which would be a new technology that might still be causing some teething pains?

Clearly they have not been an instrumental help to most people on the forum from other responses.

Just for comparison, I had been seeing stats like this:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3596 received, 0% packet loss, time 3608516ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.224/191.002/7131.994/729.965 ms, pipe 7

This was the worst that I measured:

3600 packets transmitted, 3583 received, 0% packet loss, time 3610968ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.613/345.891/11768.086/1159.638 ms, pipe 12

... and this is what I am seeing now:

3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3603917ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.880/10.927/68.204/2.589 ms

The Rogers Community team may not be able to solve every problem themselves but, in my experience, they have been effective at getting the right resources engaged behind the scenes.

Nothing has improved and they "can't find anything" because they ping test once during times when the internet is fine instead of a constant monitor. I was even told 8% packet loss wasn't a big deal when gaming. Imagine getting lag spikes 5 times every 60 seconds while gaming and it being not a big deal.

That's the frustrating part.  Previously, problems such as this were caused by a poor signal to the modem, overloaded nodes, background noise and other neighbourhood issues.  With what I saw, my signal levels and error stats were fine; the problem was upstream from the connection to my modem.  I had my suspicions as to what was causing it but those were neither confirmed nor denied.  The conclusive confirmation of the problem came from using tools in the XB6 modem itself, in addition to using external tools, and that eliminated any doubt.

You pretending like there's a solve or fix it for Roger's problem that they refuse to acknowledge is beyond me and only helping conceal the majorly wide issue instead of holding them accountable.

I'm not here to defend Rogers; I just try to help others here out as best as I can.  I'm a customer, just like you.  There are also some exceptionally knowledgeable in the Community.  Hopefully we can help you to get this problem resolved.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ㅇㅅㅇ  Okay, your pingplotter output is now visible.  I don't use the tool myself, so I'm not sure if I am reading it correctly, but it looks like your ping RTTs are peaking at less than 50 ms.

Are you using the Rogers gateway alone or are you have it in bridge mode and are using your own router?  If you are using your own router, do you have QoS enabled to prioritize traffic?  If so, that could actually be causing your packet loss.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I received the Hitron CODA 4582, the coax cable is plugged directly into the wall. It's not bridged so I am using the router that is built in with the Hitron CODA 4582.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ㅇㅅㅇ wrote:

I received the Hitron CODA 4582, the coax cable is plugged directly into the wall. It's not bridged so I am using the router that is built in with the Hitron CODA 4582.

Thanks.  I don't know how much can be done to eliminate the jitter that you are seeing but if your ping RTTs are peaking at less that 50 ms, that's still pretty good.  As for the packet loss, there are lots of things that could be causing it, and it could be happening anywhere along the network path.  We'll have to do some troubleshooting to find where it is happening.

The HITRON CODA does not display the DOCSIS codeword error stats.  Allow the modem to run for several days without resetting it.  If the packet loss is still occurring, call in to Rogers and get tech support to check the error stats on your modem and the local node/CMTS, and check for any other problems in your area.  The modem's internal stats will clear on reboot so it's important to give it some runtime so that they can accurately assess line conditions.  If you are getting a large number of uncorrectable codeword errors, that's packet loss that only Rogers can help you fix.

You can also obtain the stats from your modem's DOCSIS WAN signal table and post the results here.  We can have a look at the results.  Actually, read through the rest of that thread for additional troubleshooting tips that @Datalink  recommends.  Since you have fibre coming into your residence, Rogers will have installed an RFoG ONU to convert that to coax, I would expect your modem's signal levels to be good... but it doesn't hurt to double-check.

That thread contains instructions for running ping tests from your computer to your modem, from your computer to your CMTS router, and from your computer to an Internet host, such as Google DNS.  This will determine how far along the network path that problems are starting to occur.

One last question: Are you using a wired Ethernet connection from your computer to your modem or WiFi?  Ideally, you should be running your tests over Ethernet.  If you are using WiFi, and are in an area with a lot of WiFi networks, especially an apartment building, if your WiFi network is using the same channels/frequencies as your neighbour, you are sharing the same airwaves.  Only one WiFi device can transmit at a time.  If two devices transmit at the same time on a common frequency, both computers' network packets will get corrupted and that will result in packet loss for both.  (By the way, Rogers will not be able to see that kind of packet loss on any of their tests.)  If you are sharing WiFi channels/frequencies with a neighbour, their WiFi problems will become your WiFi problems as well.  The only thing that you can do to fix this is to use a WiFi analyzer (on your computer or mobile device) to scan for better channels to use.  If you cannot find any 5 GHz channels that do not conflict, try to avoid picking channels that transmit at higher power levels as that can exacerbate the problem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ㅇㅅㅇ  To add to my previous post, I know that you test with computers connected by Ethernet and WiFi and that you see the same latency on both.  I was specifically concerned about whether you were seeing any additional packet loss over WiFi.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It was about 10-14% packet loss pinging googles dns and 24% pinging 64.71.255.204. Yes I'm testing ethernet directly to modem. I don't know if I'm experiencing any more or less packet loss on laptop than on desktop. I use desktop for everything and laptop for voip, so whenever I lag on my desktop, I lag on laptop, I do know however even if I'm not experiencing any lag spikes in-game it does happen on VoIP. It's gotten to the point where generally a lot of the times I'm speaking no one will hear/understand me.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ㅇㅅㅇ  High latency, latency spikes and packet loss will all cause problems for VoIP.  Are you using a dedicated (Ethernet-connected) Analog Telephone Adapter device or a soft phone / VoIP client running on your computer or mobile device?

If you are using a VoIP client / soft phone on your computer, the problems could be due to your computer lacking power or problems with the underlying codecs that are provided by your operating system.  If you have WiFi problems as well then this will further complicate matters, and Rogers Tech Support will not be able to see or troubleshoot any of these issues.

If the latency and packet loss is a result of problems in your neighbourhood, problems with the connection to your modem, or with the Rogers network itself, Tech Support should be able to see this easily and confirm it when you call them.

I Plan to Stick Around

SIP traffic is absolutely troublesome with Rogers' current (past 6 months) state.

I gave up and just use my LTE connection. Doesn't take much data and it works perfectly.

I am thankful that they mitigated their issues and that gaming is decent now. However, there are still issues that need to be addressed.