cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers - Extremely High Internet Usage - Recent Crackdown

lurker_test
I plan to stick around

I have seen a few posts where Rogers seem to forcefully disconnecting customers with higher usage than the average Rogers internet user. One customer recently received a termination warning for uploading over 7TB within three months. I recall a similar policy back in the @home days, when Rogers was aggressively disconnecting high internet customers  to alleviate congested nodes because the nodes could not be upgraded fast enough to keep up with internet usage. Back then, Rogers refused to provide a fix usage number because the service is sold as "unlimited" and I have no doubt that the same stand will be made for these recent threats.

So my question is, what guideline is Rogers providing to ensure that their customers stay within the "Acceptable Usage Policy"? I am not asking for a fix usage number, as I know one will not be given. But, other than telling these customers to "stop using the internet" or "cut back on usage", are there notifications being provided when these customers are impeding the Rogers network? How can a user know when their Internet activity impedes the Rogers network? All I have seen so far is a threatening letter from Rogers that the customer's usage was higher than normal and that the service will be terminated if the usage was not reduced. There was no evidence given on how the network was being impeded and the data usage reference in the letter was well within the allocated bandwidth assigned for the Gigabit service.

Now, I am very familiar with networking and how the Cable network works. I know about the Cable infrastructure, SHUBs, PHUBs, Headends and the DOCSIS x.x specifications. So I am not asking about the network limitation and how high upload affects the network. I think a more production discussion, would be how to prevent users from impeding the network to begin with. These threatening letters are very unfriendly, offer bad publicity and is the hallmark for poor customer service.

***Edited Labels***

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Rogers - Extremely High Internet Usage - Recent Crackdown

o well guess ill just have to forget the whole idea and be very carefull on what i dl/upl  so i dont get warned againg about losing my internet cause i am doing to much with it..

cause i dont think there is a way i can connect to a remote server where my files are that i want to move to another remote server with out using my internet to act as the middle man 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 in conversation