Rogers - Extremely High Internet Usage - Recent Crackdown

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers - Extremely High Internet Usage - Recent Crackdown

I have seen a few posts where Rogers seem to forcefully disconnecting customers with higher usage than the average Rogers internet user. One customer recently received a termination warning for uploading over 7TB within three months. I recall a similar policy back in the @home days, when Rogers was aggressively disconnecting high internet customers  to alleviate congested nodes because the nodes could not be upgraded fast enough to keep up with internet usage. Back then, Rogers refused to provide a fix usage number because the service is sold as "unlimited" and I have no doubt that the same stand will be made for these recent threats.

So my question is, what guideline is Rogers providing to ensure that their customers stay within the "Acceptable Usage Policy"? I am not asking for a fix usage number, as I know one will not be given. But, other than telling these customers to "stop using the internet" or "cut back on usage", are there notifications being provided when these customers are impeding the Rogers network? How can a user know when their Internet activity impedes the Rogers network? All I have seen so far is a threatening letter from Rogers that the customer's usage was higher than normal and that the service will be terminated if the usage was not reduced. There was no evidence given on how the network was being impeded and the data usage reference in the letter was well within the allocated bandwidth assigned for the Gigabit service.

Now, I am very familiar with networking and how the Cable network works. I know about the Cable infrastructure, SHUBs, PHUBs, Headends and the DOCSIS x.x specifications. So I am not asking about the network limitation and how high upload affects the network. I think a more production discussion, would be how to prevent users from impeding the network to begin with. These threatening letters are very unfriendly, offer bad publicity and is the hallmark for poor customer service.

***Edited Labels***

Re: Rogers - Extremely High Internet Usage - Recent Crackdown

Hello @lurker_test,

Welcome to the Community & thank you for your post. 

Customers are expected to make normal use of their service as defined by the Rogers Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP). Usage which negatively affects the network or our ability to provide service to other customers is considered a violation of the AUP. The account holder receives a warning email at their contact email address when a violation of the AUP is identified.

For further information please refer to page 18 of the Rogers Terms of Service and Other Important Information. You can find all pertinent details under  Rogers Acceptable Usage Policy.

Hope this helps Robot Happy~

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone else been through this? Not happy with Rogers. We pay for the Rogers Ignite 500 unlimited package. Yet just got a cease and desist notice saying we have exceeded our upload limit. If we don't stop they will suspend our internet. Checked out the fine print and it says nothing numbers wise just a generic " What we consider exceptional usage". Since when is unlimited not unlimited and how are people supposed to know when nothing is specified and your not aware of a problem until they threaten to cut you off? Rogers you need to spell it out.

Good evening @2tallredwood,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community!

I understand that getting a notice letting you know your Internet service might be suspended due to your usage can be frustrating, especially if you have an unlimited plan.

Even if the violation wasn’t intentional, you’re still considered responsible because you are required to ensure your computer and home network are secured, as per our terms and conditions.

While there is no upload quantity specified in our AUP, you are being notified to make sure you are aware of the usage made on your account, prior to an eventual suspension. We inform you of the issue and the notification serves as a warning, so you can take the necessary measures on your end, to be compliant with the Rogers Terms of Service, that you agreed upon at the moment of the activation of your Internet service with us. 

You can find more information on our Acceptable Use Policy, here.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My personal guess.. 
At least a good portion of the time (or moreso in the past), a huge upload would usually denote that someone is say seeding on torrents, etc.  Which is what they were trying to stop...

Now a days though, with streaming, there are many people who are streaming TWITCH and other things, in high rez, could create quite a large upload.

Also businesses, could be doing larger uploads to clients, etc.

That may be something worth investigating in the long run as well.  Even if running out of ones house, if someone is using the internet for business (even if that business is say youtube and twitch), it may be worth looking at the business grade internet.
It may not have the same upload restrictions?  As well, usually the business internet has more guarantees on uptime, etc.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Is the jist of the issue not that it is a service sold as unlimited  and it is NOT unlimited . It is a restricted unlimited with  that unlimited restriction being at Rogers's sole discretion  and no guidelines published for the customers  to assess what is the best product for them ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree.. 
And if there is a reasoning.. it should be listed in the letter sent to the user.

Its all speculation...
But my guess it might be something under the Acceptable Use  as follows:

Without limitation, you may not use (or allow anyone else to use) our Services to: 
xii. restrict, inhibit or interfere with the ability of any person to access, use or enjoy the Internet, the Services or any Equipment used to connect to the Services, or create an unusually large burden on our networks, including, without limitation, posting, uploading, transmitting or otherwise making available information or software containing a virus, lock, key, bomb, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful, limiting, destructive or debilitating feature, distributing mass or unsolicited e-mail (“spam”) or other messages, or otherwise generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others’ ability to send or retrieve information, or to use the Services in an abusive manner in connection with any unlimited packages, options or promotions;

That while technically you have no 'limit', uploading a specific amount/rate, could put a burden on the upstream channels in an area, impacting OTHER peoples usage of their internet as well?

I've Been Here Awhile

It is poor service to be this heavy handed. To jump straight to threats of suspension of service is not called for and as a customer of multiple services for over 30 years we resent this treatment. If Rogers is unwilling to commit to any definitive numbers then any issues should be dealt with in a progressive manner without the threats and with full disclosure of the impacts perceived. Yes we are heavy internet users but Rogers needs to realize when you push faster speeds constantly trying to get you to upgrade to better packages and then slam you for using it without spelling it out. There is a problem and it's not on my end.

I Plan to Stick Around

Internet overage letter

k the other day i got the offical email telling me on my 500u unlimited package i have gone over on my upload?

To prevent suspension of your Internet service, your immediate action is required.

We have identified that your Rogers Internet account has generated 7689 GB in upload usage over the past 3 months ending December 31, 2018. This represents over 40 times the average for a typical customer on our unlimited packages, higher than 99.9% of all Rogers Internet customers. This type of usage is, or is at risk of, impacting the Internet experience and performance for other customers and is in breach of the Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy (see details at rogers.com/terms).

To maintain your Internet service, you must take all necessary steps to address this unusually high upload usage. In addition to reviewing your usage activities, you should also:
•     Ensure your home Wi-Fi network is password protected and secure from any unauthorized use
•     Ensure you do not leave any peer-to-peer file-sharing applications running in the background, which may be uploading data without your knowledge
•     Ensure all devices that access your Internet service are running anti-virus and anti-malware software

If your exceptionally high upload usage continues, your Internet service will be suspended as early as March 1, 2019.

k so i phone rogers to find out if this was for real or not casue since being a cx since 1990 i have never heard of or seen this before so i did find out it was for real, so at this point i tried to find out what the acceptable upload is and after speaking with 3 diffrent peeps no one could tell me all they could say is that i need to lower my upload usage but i cant find out from anyone what i need to bring it down to so i dont get anymore emails that they will cut off my internet o forgot to mention allso got a copy of the email from them in may home mail box (paper copy )

i am not arguing the fact that my usage is high up/down but thats the point of having unlimited you dont have to worry about usage which i have been on unlimited for the past 10yrs+ i was told to go read the policy thing but to be honest after reading what i found about usage there wasnt a clear answer as to what it is set at just a general (rogers discretion) thingy...

Hopefully some one here can advise me on what rogers expects from us unlimited users are supposed to cap our upload/download at so i dont get any more warnings like this

TIA

Hello @hiho!

I know uploading is very important to some of our customers, so perhaps we can look into what you're utilizing your upload for first before we can come to the best possible solution to reduce or manage your bandwidth usage. If you're using more than 99.9% of bandwidth than our average customer, you may be impacting the stability of your local infrastructure, bringing down performance for everyone on your node.

Are you using the upload for work or business-related purposes? Are you uploading 4K content? Please let us know.

Regards,

RogersCorey