cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers DNS cache

gwilki
I plan to stick around

I am trying to find out how often Rogers clears its DNS cache.

Here is the issue:

My wife has a website on her own domain. It was hosted by host1. She has now moved to host2. However, if someone enters her URL into a browser and they are using Rogers as their ISP, Rogers still points to the site on host1. (We know this because her website on host2 has been completely revampe.) I understand this is because the Rogers DNS cache has not been updated. We have a neighbour on Bell and when she enters my wife's URL into a browser, Belll correctly sends her  the new site on host2.

Does anyone here know how often Rogers updates its DNS cache. They do not seem to be following the TTL, but that's unclear.

I have tried asking Rogers tech support, but they do not have this information.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers DNS cache

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@gwilki wrote:

Does anyone here know how often Rogers updates its DNS cache. They do not seem to be following the TTL, but that's unclear.

@gwilki, our DNS caching servers will respect the TTL on the authoritative DNS server. That being said, if say the record originally had a TTL of 86400 seconds (1 day), and then you change the TTL and change the host, our DNS server may not see this update until the initial TTL expires.

When it comes to the test ran on Bell, it is possible that the caching DNS server didn't have this entry cached. So when you attempted it on Bell, it had to query the authoritative DNS and therefore get the latest record.

If you still have an issue, you can provide the hostname and what it should point to and I can run a trace across all our DNS caching servers to confirm what we have.

Dave

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersZia

Hi @gwilki,

Thank you for posting in the Community forums.

I understand you've already spoken to tech support without resolution, but I've been advised that updates are done automatically and there is no specific time frame provided. As per my colleague tech support is not privy to this information.

I'll tag @Gdkitty@Datalink and @gp-se for further insights.

RogersZia

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@gwilki The first thing I would do is Flush the DNS cache on your computers then try again. 

Windows:

http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-do-i-flush-my-windows-dns-cache/

OSX:

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-flush-dns-in-mac-os-x/

If you still have this issue then it is indeed the Rogers DNS servers, and you will just have to wait it out, as the only person that will have an answer on how often it updates the cache would be a Network Engineer.

gwilki
I plan to stick around

Thank you both for replying. I had already cleared my PC's DNS cache. The problem is with the Rogers DNS cache. It would seem that there is no one that I can reach that can help me. It is frustrating to know that any ISP can seemingly ignore the TTL spec on a website and continue to point to outdated information. However, that would seem to be the case. As you have said gp-se, there is nothing we can do but wait it out.

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@gwilki wrote:

@gwilki, our DNS caching servers will respect the TTL on the authoritative DNS server. That being said, if say the record originally had a TTL of 86400 seconds (1 day), and then you change the TTL and change the host, our DNS server may not see this update until the initial TTL expires.

When it comes to the test ran on Bell, it is possible that the caching DNS server didn't have this entry cached. So when you attempted it on Bell, it had to query the authoritative DNS and therefore get the latest record.

If you still have an issue, you can provide the hostname and what it should point to and I can run a trace across all our DNS caching servers to confirm what we have.

Dave

Northern
I've been here awhile

HI there!

I'm having the same problem. The DNS change was made several hours ago, but half the time I try to connect, I get sent to the old IP address. I'm guessing that Rogers has numerous DNS caches and some are up-to-date, and others aren't. It's very frustrating because I'm trying to do work on our non-profit's website, and my ability to connect is intermittent. Who can I contact to have the trace done? I should add that the TTL is set to 14400, but it's been well over that time period now.

Thanks! 

While i agree that rogers DNS should be hopefully catching up quicker than it is..

You could always try changing the DNS server on that particular device/PC, to say google, etc.. who may be fully up to date?
Or for the mean time, access it via the IP address for now.

@Northern wrote:

Who can I contact to have the trace done? I should add that the TTL is set to 14400, but it's been well over that time period now.

Thanks! 

If you post the domain name you are trying to resolve, we will be able to provide a view of our different caching server as well as the data that exist in the authoritative DNS servers.

--Dave

Northern
I've been here awhile

Thanks! It's working now. Took about eight hours though.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation