Rogers 250u slow speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers 250u slow speeds

Both actually. Sometime connection is lost and and it can be slow. I took a snapshot of the (dBmV) signals as someone else mentioned and sent it to them as well. Here they are or maybe I am talking to the same person. Not sure as I am really trying to get this fixed. We had the same problem the last time we were with rogers and it never got fixed. Really frustrated here.

Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Signal noise ratio (dB)Channel ID
1591000000256QAM-3.80038.98331
2363000000256QAM-1.20038.98310
3369000000256QAM-1.10038.98311
4375000000256QAM-1.30038.60512
5381000000256QAM-1.50038.60513
6387000000256QAM-1.50038.98314
7393000000256QAM-1.30038.98315
8399000000256QAM-1.90038.98316
9405000000256QAM-1.80038.98317
10411000000256QAM-1.20038.60518
11417000000256QAM-1.00040.36619
12423000000256QAM-1.00038.98320
13429000000256QAM-1.40040.36621
14435000000256QAM-1.40038.60522
15441000000256QAM-1.40040.36623
16447000000256QAM-2.00038.98324
17555000000256QAM-2.60040.36625
18561000000256QAM-3.10038.98326
19567000000256QAM-3.20038.98327
20573000000256QAM-3.30038.98328
21579000000256QAM-3.60038.98329
22585000000256QAM-3.80038.98330
23357000000256QAM-1.50038.9839
24597000000256QAM-3.70038.98332
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)BandWidthModulation TypeSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel ID
1385960003200000ATDMA40.2503
2305960006400000ATDMA38.7501
3237000006400000ATDMA39.7502
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your signal levels are within spec, no issues. The best thing is to call Rogers when the issue happens so they can run tests while the problem is happening. Also ask them to check your neighbours, to see if it's a local issue affecting your neighbourhood.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rayzor65,

1.  Can you post the modem model please.  That is found on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  It should be a CGN3xxxx variety.

2.   Can you log into the modem and determine which Software version (firmware) is currently loaded.  That is shown on the STATUS page which is displayed when you log into the modem. 

3.  Do you have an ethernet desktop that can be connected to the modem to run a wired speedtest.  Knowing what the modem delivers via ethernet will give us a little more info to help figure this out.  The question here is, is the problem a modem problem, or is it only a wifi isssue. 

Just to note, the Hitron modems are not noted for stellar wifi performance.  My usual advice for anyone who lives on wifi is to buy a good router with external antenna and run the modem in Bridge mode.  That way, if you happen to move ISPs, nothing on your router changes except perhaps for the DNS addresses that your network will use.  Personally I prefer OpenDNS myself. 

What you can do as well is look at the wifi environment to see who you're competing with.  The 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and can be all but impossible to work with.  The 5 Ghz band, with its shorter range is usually easier to work in, with clear channels available for use.  For longer range operation, you should be running the 5 Ghz network on channel 149 or higher due to the higher power output for those channels, which is a maximum of 1 watt.  The lower 5 Ghz channels are restricted to 50 or 200 milli-watts, depending on the approval date of the device by Industry Canada. 

To look at the wifi environment use one or more of the following applications, which you can load on a wifi laptop, prefereably a dual band laptop. 

1.  http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

2. https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

3. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

inSSIDer and Acyrlic are graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.  That link to inSSIDer is for the last freebie version.  It doesn't properly display the 5 Ghz 802.11ac networks that it can detect, but for n networks in both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band its fine.  If you use an 802.11ac network, consider trying Acrylic as well as inSSIDer.

So, give that a go.  Load one or more of those on a laptop and take a tour around your home to check the signal strength levels of your network compared to the other networks that are running in nearby homes.  Usually it takes a couple of minutes for the displays to settle out when you move to a new location in the home. 

It shouldn't take too long to come to a conclusion about the 2.4 Ghz band and whether or not there are any usable channels.  The 5 Ghz band shouldn't be as bad to operate in, and hopefully you can see a clear channel or two up in the channel 149 area and above. 

Please let us know what you find, as well as the answers to the first questions.

I'm Here A Lot

First off the modem is a Hitron CGN3 but nothing else after that on the sticker. The firmware version is 4.2.4.7. I was considering a router, but didn't want to put in the expence since this should not be happening, but now knowing that the Hitron modem is not the best when it comes to wireless and most likely because I asume that it is bwcause of the fact it has no attennas I will have to look into one or maybe even a home plug or two, then maybe the 5Ghz will appear. I did change the 5Ghz channel to 149, but it still does not show up on the list or do i go higher until a device sees the 5Ghz signal. I will also download the inSSIDer and look at that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so, basic CGN3 with 4.2.4.7 loaded.  If you load inSSIDer or Acrylic on a laptop, you should be able to see the 5 Ghz network running on channel 149.  You should also be able to see if there is anyone else running on that channel or any of the other upper channels in the 5 Ghz band. 

Fwiw, the antenna gain numbers for the Hitron modems are on par with other external antenna that you would find on a typical router.  The difference is that the antenna with the CGN3 series modems are mounted on the main board of the modem instead of being up outside of the modem and away from any shielding from the board.  There is also the issue that the CGN3 series modems do not support beamforming, at least that is what is shown in the Wifi Alliance data.  That makes a difference in terms of the signal level at the device and the end data rates. 

Something to consider is that the modem can be moved to any location that you have a cable outlet, so it doesn't have to sit where it is currently located.  If you can move it to a location that is close to where you normally work, that would help.  If you are in a newer home, you might have structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that runs from the structured wiring cabinet to any room where a bundle has been run.  The bundle consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite, cable tv, or cable internet, one Cat 5e ethernet for data and one Cat 3 (possibly Cat 5e) for telephones.  If you have that installed, but not necessarily finished, you may be able to move the modem much close and run data over ethernet in your home.  It all depends on how old your home might be.  Typically the builder will install a telephone or cable connector on the appropriate cable and then tuck the rest of the bundle in behind the wallplate that holds the telephone or cable connector.  Its up to the home owner to remove the wallplate and look behind it to determine if the rest of the structured wiring bundle is tucked into the electrical box.  That might be worth checking as it might provide a solution to the problem.

Edit:  Are you using the same network name for both networks, ie: the 2.4 and 5 Ghz network, and do you know if the laptop that you are using is 5 Ghz capable?  There are a good number of laptops around that don't support 5 Ghz as the wifi adapter doesn't support it.  That's a case of the manufacturer being cheap, and unfortunately, we've seen that many times on the forum.

I'm Here A Lot

I loaded the inSSIDer on my laptop, but now that I know that the reason I don't see the 5Ghz is because of the cheap adapters on them. Other devices like smartphones see it but that's it. That would explain the tablat as well not seeing it. Yes I am using the same name on both the 2.4 and the 5Ghz. Would you recommend that I cange the name on the 5Ghz. How would I identify if the laptop is 5Ghz capable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In theory, devices should be able to roam between the 2.4 and 5 Ghz network.  In practice, unless you run a router that enforces roaming power rules, that won't happen.  Its far simpler and less confusing if you keep the names separate.  That way, both networks will show up on devices that are dual band capable and you can select the network that you want to use.  I've moved just about everything up into the 5 Ghz band except for a couple of older ipods.

When you look at wifi specs on a laptop, and see that its 802.11ac or MU-MIMO capable, that tells you that the laptop supports 5 Ghz networks.  If you don't see that, you have to look specifically at the supported bands, which should show as a minimum, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz capable, running 802.11n.  These days, I wouldn't buy a laptop that doesn't support 802.11ac.  For a tablet or phone, I'd be looking for the same capability.  So, one has to look very carefully at the specs and sometimes chase down the specs for the actual wifi adapter if you can find out what that is.  

If you drill down into the device manager on your laptop, down to the description of the wifi adapter, copy the name of the adapter, for example Atheros xxxxxxxx.  Then run a google search for that adapter name, looking for the manufacturers specs.   That should tell you whether or not the adapter is dual band capable, and hopefully, what Modulation and Coding Scheme levels that the adapters actually support.  Cheap adapters may not actually support all of the levels, so, you end up with a device that runs slow wifi data rates instead of being able to use and run all levels and all data rates within those levels.  The MCS index is shown here, level by level, and shows the various data rates that are specified, given specific inter-packet gap timing:

http://www.digitalairwireless.com/wireless-blog/2012-09/demystifying-modulation-and-coding-scheme-in...

The spatial stream column can be considered as the number of antenna on the adapter.  Some laptops only have one antenna, some have two.  Higher end laptops might actually run three antenna, although I haven't looked around to see what laptop actually does that.  The more antenna on the device, the higher the data rate of the device, so, its a combination of exactly what level within each spatial stream (antenna) group does the adapter support (all is best) and how many antenna are actually connected to the adapter. 

For inSSIDer, if the bottom right hand display is blank, then yes, that laptop does not support 5 Ghz networks. Sorry to say that.  Depending on the laptop, you might be able to easily replace the wifi adapter.  A little laptop surgery might be required, but, with enough patience and the parts replacement guide it can be done.  It also depends on the laptop as some laptops have a built in white list that checks for components at boot up.  Install a non-white list component and the laptop won't boot.  @VivienM is the resident expert on laptops and wifi adapters.  

Another solution is a USB dual band adapter such as the following:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBAC56/

Its been a while since this has come up, but forum members who have purchased one of these seem to have good success with it.  The tall antenna part is detachable. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Feel like I am being scammed

Not only do have reoccuring issues with my connection, I have never had anywhere near the download speeds promised. Not even remotely close. I've got an 250u (which no longer exists but anyways...) which was their top service a few years back. On their site now, Rogers promises about 75mbps for something in my price range. I test it regularly. High water mark? 4mbps. Not even at the level of their lowest package.

So I'm paying Rogers hundreds every year, and for what? Service that frequently does not work when I need it, and is slow when I do have it.

Just tested my current speed: about par for the course-- 2.23mbps. I don't think I am getting fair value for my money.

Irony Alert: Internet went out while trying to post this. Had to leave the window open until it comes back. It's a  bit astonishing really.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Capt_Obvious

@Capt_Obvious wrote:

Feel like I am being scammed

Not only do have reoccuring issues with my connection, I have never had anywhere near the download speeds promised. Not even remotely close. I've got an 250u (which no longer exists but anyways...) which was their top service a few years back. On their site now, Rogers promises about 75mbps for something in my price range. I test it regularly. High water mark? 4mbps. Not even at the level of their lowest package.

So I'm paying Rogers hundreds every year, and for what? Service that frequently does not work when I need it, and is slow when I do have it.

Just tested my current speed: about par for the course-- 2.23mbps. I don't think I am getting fair value for my money.

Irony Alert: Internet went out while trying to post this. Had to leave the window open until it comes back. It's a  bit astonishing really.

Have you called Rogers and made them aware that you are paying for 250u and only getting 2.23mb/s?

Clearly something is wrong, you need to call tech support and have them check line stats so they can correct the issue.