Rogers 100u not getting anything higher then 30mbps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers 100u not getting anything higher then 30mbps

Hi All,

i recently moved to the rogers 100u package from the 30mbps pakcage with teksavvy.

when i do a speed test at speedtest.net the highest i get in around 29. in asample of around 40 test in a 2 hr span the speed ranged from under 5mbps to around 30mbps. 

i have tested using the built in wifi/model wirelessly. could there be an issue with the cable wiring coming into my house?

thanks 

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers 100u not getting anything higher then 30mbps

@ZAbiai, are those speedtests done via ethernet or wifi?

Can you:

1.  Confirm what model of modem you have, as indicated by the product sticker at the back of the modem.  I suspect it will be one of CGN3, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACR or CGN3ACSMR.

2.  log into the modem, and confirm what Software Version (Firmware) is loaded, as shown on the STATUS page that is displayed after logging into the modem; and

3.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables, so using a screen capture isn't necessary.

With a little info we can start to figure out why the speeds are so low.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its a possibility.

Are you able to log into the modem and get the signal levels for us and post them here?

As well, my question is WHAT you are plugging into the modem? (pc directly? What make/model?)
And which exact modem do you have?

On the CGN3, there is a bug in one of the earlier firmwares, which on any 10/100 device would end up linking at 30 some odd.
After 72 hours, the new firmware should be pushed out to the unit which fixes this.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the quick reply. ill provide the detials later when i get home form work

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

What do you get when you run the speedtest while connecting directly to the modem with an ethernet cable?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you changed internet providers, were you using a seperate router with Teksavvy?  Currently, are you using the provided Rogers modem as your only router or just a modem?

I had a friend who had a similar issue and after she confirmed that his profile from Rogers was set correctly, we focused our attention on her router.  It turned out that the Quality of Service (QOS) was turned on and set to the old speed of 30 Mbps.  After turning it off and rebooting the router, we did a speedtest and she was getting over 100 Mbps.

QOS works by taking the MAX speed and prioritizing different devices sufficient bandwidth (for video, VOIP home phone) so that there is no issue.  This along with Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) works together to provide QOS for 802.11 devices.  Personally, I turn WMM and QOS OFF and let the devices/applications manage the bandwidth accordingly.  If you put this on, it serves as a "management" and the other apps are also doing this type of management and it could cause conflicting results.  I rather have all my devices getting the MAXIMUM speed then limiting them through QOS which may/may not be working correctly to begin with.