Rogers 100u Service 150Mps when CGN3 in gateway mode, 60Mbs in bridge mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers 100u Service 150Mps when CGN3 in gateway mode, 60Mbs in bridge mode

100u Service

CGN3 gateway

Asus RT-AC68U router

all GigE wired home network

When I had the gateway in gateway mode I got anywhere from 120Mbs-180Mbs speed tests... when I switched to bridge mode speeds dropped to ~63Mbs... what gives??

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers 100u Service 150Mps when CGN3 in gateway mode, 60Mbs in bridge mode

I and others here run the same router.  Log into the 68U, navigate to the LAN.....SWITCH CONTROL page and ensure that the NAT Acceleration is set to Auto.  This essentially is a bypass (Officially, Cut Through Forwarding), provided by the Broadcom chipset, which bypasses the router CPU.  With it enabled, the router fires out the data as soon as it arrives.  If you turn on items such as QOS, any type of traffic monitoring and others, they will kick off the NAT Acceleration.  You take a double hit on the data throughput as the data is routed to the processor, and, the processor then does something with or to the data prior to sending it out via LAN or wireless connection.  Give that a look and let us know if that is the cause of the slower performance.

Note:  I'm making an assumption here that you are comparing a pc connected to the modem speed (in Gateway mode) with a pc connected to the 68U speed (modem in Bridge mode).  In either mode, Gateway or Bridge, you should see the same port speed out of the modem.  What happens beyond that is usually where issues come up for varying reasons.

I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

There's an issue with that setting which turned up in the latest firmware update. When I try to set it to Auto, it goes through the process, which takes a long time, then it shows Disabled again once it says complete. Having said that, I am using the new AiProtection features, so there may be something there which is not allowing Auto. I'm going to try turning AiProtection off to see if it makes any difference.

FWIW, I do not have the OP's problem. I'm on the Hybrid 150/15 plan and get over 200mbps on downloads.

EDIT: Tried it again after turning off AiProtection and it made no difference. Still get Disabled for NAT Acceleration. I've noticed that I get NAT Moderate notifications during online gaming whereas, before the firmware update, I always got Open.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried a different cable between the router and the modem? The CGN3 seems picky about Ethernet cables...

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for your response... so checked and NAT Acceleration was already set to Auto... I do have QoS set.. so maybe I'll try turing that off..
I Plan to Stick Around

this might be difficult since my modem is in basement and Router is on second floor with cables running through walls... guess I could temporarily bring the router downstairs just to test... thanks!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might be a good idea.

The cables through the wall.. MIGHT not be up to spec Smiley Sad  Could be just basic Cat5... not even 5e or 6

I Plan to Stick Around

I think it is cat5... is that really going to make a difference? The cable that went from gateau to computer was likewise Cat5 and I still was able to get 180Mbs? Or is between gateway and router different?
I Plan to Stick Around

Gateway not gateau...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tmartine wrote:
I think it is cat5... is that really going to make a difference? The cable that went from gateau to computer was likewise Cat5 and I still was able to get 180Mbs? Or is between gateway and router different?

Hard to say... but at the end of the day, Cat5 is not officially supported for gigabit Ethernet. That doesn't mean that people (including me) haven't successfully done GbE over Cat5, at least over short distances, but it's still outside the spec...

My view: take the router and a decent laptop with a GbE port down to where the modem is and test everything using short Cat5E/6 cables. If you get the same results than with the house wiring, you'll know I was wrong. Smiley Happy