Rogers 100u Service 150Mps when CGN3 in gateway mode, 60Mbs in bridge mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers 100u Service 150Mps when CGN3 in gateway mode, 60Mbs in bridge mode

...but now the inevitable Next Question... is it advantageous to have the QoS set, or is it just getting in the way at that kind of bandwidth?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is the $64 Million Dollar question.  I don't use it, and in fact, most of the functions on my 68U are disabled.  I run the 250 up / 20 down plan and with the CGN3 in Bridge mode I see 328 down / 22 up on a typical speedtest.  With a couple of laptops streaming videos and other data type stuff happening via wired pc's, we've never seen any issues at all.  So, personal opinion at this point, I think the QOS gets in the way.  The other point to remember is that the CTF is disabled, therefore losing that fast path into and out of the router, and then you take a hit processing the data to determine what should go first.  The choice comes down to running all data as fast as possible, or take a hit on the throughput rate to determine what should go first.  At low speeds, you wouldn't notice the performance penalty when using the QOS for example, but at high rates above 100 Mb/s, you do see that penalty.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally, QOS really isnt necessary, unless you have a SPECIFIC service you want to have alway bandwith allocated for.

ONLY possibly secenario i could see at home for most, MIGHT be for VIOP.. always leaving a specific amount of bandwidth allocated for it so it wouldnt get choked out.

(we are currently doing that at work in prep for our new VIOP setup there)

I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

After reading more of this thread, I turned QoS off and the NAT Acceleration setting went from Disabled to Auto without me doing anything. Very strange. Before the last firmware update, it did not behave that way.

There's no difference in download/upload speeds for me with QoS on or off or NAT Acceleration in Auto or Disabled.

I do expect to see NAT Open instead of Moderate the next time I do online gaming.

I Plan to Stick Around

What firmware are you on? I'm on 3.0.0.4.378_4850.
I'm an Advisor

tmartine:

I'm on version 3.0.0.4.378_4585. Your version is obviously newer but, when I check it on my router, it says "The router's current firmware is the latest version."

How did you get 4850?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm an Advisor

Thanks for the link. Will take a look at it, but probably won't bother unless there's something significant. I've had enough trouble with updates to last me for a while. Smiley Mad

I Plan to Stick Around

Enabling Jumbo frames... is that going to do anything? Thinking more about for moving large 2-6GB movie files aroun LAN...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Be careful with Jumbo Frames.  In theory it makes sense to enable it, but, there is a chance that every device on the LAN has to be Jumbo Frame capable and have it enabled.  There was another user here on the forum who had that set accidentally, and the result was to drop the data rate.  So, if you give it a try, test the data rates on each device just to ensure you don't end up with slow rates on some devices.