Requesting installation of FTTH (Fiber to the Home) internet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Requesting installation of FTTH (Fiber to the Home) internet?

@WestPoint wrote:

i dont know why i bother coming back here at all anymore.... but I just wanted to say this, after everything i've previously said about FFTH in my area having been laid under our lawns by Rogers in 2019, but no service upgrade tags left, and unable to get any reps on the phone who can connect myself or any of my neighbors to this service

If Rogers has only brought fibre to your curb, they may not actually be installing fibre-to-the-home in your area anytime soon.  They may only be installing Remote PHY in your neighbourhood, in which case your Internet service will continue to be delivered over coax.

It's also possible that Rogers is readying your neighbourhood for FTTH.  However, just because Rogers (or any telecom) has laid fibre doesn't mean that they will light it up immediately.  The fact that it is taking a long time may actually be a blessing in disguise, long term.

According to: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

What products and services can I get with this new technology, and what will they cost?

We’re installing Fibre to the Home now so that we’re ready for next-generation technology and services as they become available.

We’ll have more information about available services and pricing once we launch them in your area.

The first sentence in the answer is telling.  RFoG (what was described a few posts ago) is yesterday's tech, not next gen, so when Rogers does finally light up the fibre, you may be able to get your Internet service over something like EPON.  That will be worth waiting for.  As for the second sentence, you won't hear anything until they are ready to launch the service upgrade.

Rogers may also not be in any position to do any FTTH installs until COVID restrictions are lifted and their techs can enter your home to terminate the fibre and prep for the upcoming installation.  Before any of that can happen, Rogers will also need to ask for your consent before they can even bring fibre from your curb toward your home, and before that next construction phase can happen, you will see "dial before you dig" crews performing locates on your property.

I understand your frustrations given the service issues that you have been describing.  However, if any service upgrades in your area are either planned or are imminent, Rogers would have open tickets associated with either your area/postal code and/or your local node.

gcerullo
I Plan to Stick Around

How does someone unsubscribe from this message thread or at least stop the email notifications for it. It is becoming ridiculous now and I don't want to hear about it any longer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gcerullo wrote:

How does someone unsubscribe from this message thread or at least stop the email notifications for it. It is becoming ridiculous now and I don't want to hear about it any longer.

On the "Options" drop-down next to the Reply button, select 'Unsubscribe".

WestPoint
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow... ok... not even unpacking all of that cuz its not worth my time to correct why just about everything you said either is wrong or doesnt apply to my situation specifically.

The only thing im addressing before im done with these forums for good is this statement;

"Rogers may also not be in any position to do any FTTH installs until COVID restrictions are lifted and their techs can enter your home to terminate the fibre and prep for the upcoming installation.  Before any of that can happen, Rogers will also need to ask for your consent before they can even bring fibre from your curb toward your home, and before that next construction phase can happen, you will see "dial before you dig" crews performing locates on your property."

OK, first, there are NO COVID restrictions preventing anyone from entering customers homes. I literally JUST had Enercare do my fall service for my Furnace on Wednesday last week, like what 4 days ago?, including changing my air filter full of pet hair, ect. and they did that NO QUESTIONS ASKED. PPE was worn by the tech and myself, and I ensured only myself on the property at the time, no pets ect, and a clear direct path and access. Very simple. 

Using COVID Restrictions is an EXCUSE not a REASON for anything.

Next, consent, well... IVE TRIED TO GIVE IT like 60 times, and NO ONE at Rogers, seems able to TAKE MY CONSENT and get this things going, this is the entire problem!! I sincerely doubt youll find anyone who wont give their consent for better more stable services, but when you literally have customers reaching trying to GIVE THEIR CONSENT, and you wont even talk to them??? Come on Rogers....

Anyways, thats all... im done.... wont be coming back every again to these forums and when I cancel my Rogers services for Bell eventually, ill make sure to let Rogers know it was a toss up between these forums and lack of any real support, and their total disregard for 20+year customers reaching out for help and answers other than the lines we've been fed since at very least, early 2019.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gcerullo wrote:

Another option:  Click your icon at the top right of the screen when logged in. Go to "My Subscriptions"  then Notification Settings.  Then deselect the appropriate option(s).  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WestPoint wrote: And what, 95% of the people here, yourself included, are not actual Rogers employees, so your basically just trolls and auto-reply bots for Rogers customers who come here.

You're right that the Resident Experts here are not Rogers Employees. We are volunteers who try to help people and try to provide information.  We are not trolls or bots; we are human beings.

dougkitchen
I've Been Around

We have the same issue, we called the 1-844-760-3908 and were transferred 4 times today and no one really could answer if we are able to get the fibre optics directly to the house, ours currently goes to a "node" shared by our whole cul-de-sac so there are frequent issues, open tickets etc. that never really resolves the issue.  Where can we find out if it can be brought directly from the node to the house, apparently it's on the pole in our backyard.

Thank you.

RogersLaura

Hello @dougkitchen!

Thanks for joining us in the community and for your first post! We're sorry to hear you've had a tough time getting the info you are looking for regarding FTTH. We'll do our best to help out!

If you’re interested in having fibre to your home, we can arrange that depending on where your address is on the construction schedule. If your address is currently eligible, you can provide us with verbal consent and we can take your name and address down and make sure the fibre drop is added to your home. Please note: this construction work is at no cost to you. Please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we may have a look to confirm.

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog. If you haven't already, you may also refer to our FTTH FAQs for answers to other possible questions you may have: 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Debicorbett
I've Been Around

This link goes nowhere
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Debicorbett : Are you talking about the last link in post 38? It works fine for me going to the FAQs.  If you can't see that FAQ, it's possible there is an issue with your browser/settings/extensions/popup blockers, etc. See the following post on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-load-certain-website-s-and-or-videos/m-p/46...

If that's not what you meant, please clarify by providing more information.