Removing unwanted web addresses

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Removing unwanted web addresses

How do I remove an unwanted web addresses?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Removing unwanted web addresses

From what application or device?

I Plan to Stick Around

This is my PC Sorry for not mentioning before hand

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem.  I'm still trying to figure out what application you might be talking about.  Are you trying to remove a web address from your browser so that its not displayed when the browser starts?  Has your web browser been hijacked by malware?  Or, are you trying to remove an address from the Hosts file which the Windows operating system checks first to convert a text address into the IP address to use.  If that numerical IP address has been changed, you can edit the Hosts file with Notepad to remove the text and accompanying IP address.  You will have to be in the Admin Account to do that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if they want to BLOCK specifc address?  IE:  you dont want the kids going to site X, Y and Z, that you can put a web filter block on the whole connection.

The CGN3, has a KEYWORD filter.. which will apparently block out sites with specific keywords in them..
But that can be dangerous..  you say block out SEX.. that could block out a page talking about the 'sex of the baby was.." sort of thing.

You really need to go with a much more higher end router to get much higher end functions.

An alternative option might be one of the 'net nanny' type software on the PC itself.

I Plan to Stick Around

I wish to remove unwanted web addresses that I no longer need .  I will try to show this by an example  "xyz .com" I would like to remove this because I  was blocked by my security programme. The site keeps on showing up when I type in  the first  few characters that start with the same letters  "xyw.com" as example. Could this be part of the browser remembering previously visited sites?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your response but this doesn't quite answer my problem. It is not blocking that I need but complete removal from my PC. I have RE Datalink working on this at the moment. You might want to see what he is doing and perhaps you might have another thought. Again thank you
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your browser is remembering the history of the addresses you type, this is not a rogers issue, its a setting in your browser, perhaps its the remember browser history setting that needs to be cleared? without telling us the version of your browser we can't really help you that much other than give you general info

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pauly is correct.

It would be in the history of your web browser remembering them.

The process of removing these would be different based on by browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc)

Now, the one thing is, you cant get rid of just one or two.. its remembering ALL or nothing.  So it would forget all that you have visited.
If you dont want to get rid of all of them, usually over time, if you dont visit the site, it will forget it after a while.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is a little more to this besides the browser history.  Depending on what browswer you have, you should be able to find a function or table that allows you to delete single history entries or the whole list in one go. 

The other issues are the bookmarked entries and autocomplete or auto-type, depending on what browswer you have.  If that specific entry is bookmarked, you would want to show the whole bookmarks list and run a search for the bookmark in question.  Delete that entry.  Run the search again to ensure that there aren't any duplicates and delete them if they exist. 

The next is the Autocomplete.  If this is enabled, the browswer will suggest the remainder of the entry as you are typing it into the address bar.  If this is proving to be a pain, disable the Autocomplete.  That will require you to enter all of the addresses in their entirety.  Not sure if that is more of a help or a pain.  Have a look at the following link for autocomplete.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000604.htm