cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Nokia ONT

grwl
I plan to stick around

Could someone tell what is the purpose of Nokia ONT in FTTH setup, can it be removed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Remove Nokia ONT

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Nokia ONT is a device that connects to Rogers' fibre network and allows customer premise equipment, typically an Ignite Gateway, to connect via a 10 Gigabit Ethernet port.  If you only subscribe to Ignite Internet, you don't need to use the Ignite Gateway, and you should be able to use your own router instead.  However, you must connect your device through the Rogers-provided ONT.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Nokia ONT is a device that connects to Rogers' fibre network and allows customer premise equipment, typically an Ignite Gateway, to connect via a 10 Gigabit Ethernet port.  If you only subscribe to Ignite Internet, you don't need to use the Ignite Gateway, and you should be able to use your own router instead.  However, you must connect your device through the Rogers-provided ONT.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl  I think Rogers initially used the Nokia XS-020X-A and has now switched to the Nokia XS-010X-Q ONT.  As far as I know, the optical transceiver is integrated and cannot be removed.  If you have a router/firewall with SFP/SFP+ interfaces, you will need to connect to the ONT using a compatible Ethernet transceiver.

grwl
I plan to stick around
I have a router which can take the fibre, why cannot I remove the ONT and plug fibre directly to my router ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl wrote:
I have a router which can take the fibre, why cannot I remove the ONT and plug fibre directly to my router ?

The ONT is basically Rogers' demarc for their service.  You are not permitted to move or modify it, nor are you allowed to take it apart.  If you move or cancel your Rogers Internet service, you must leave the ONT in place; you do not return it with your other rental equipment.  (See the Rogers FTTH FAQ for more info.)

As for the "why" in your question, there should not be any reason for you to do so.  It's not like Bell Fibe, where customers removed the SFP transceiver and put it into their own equipment so that they could bypass the Home Hub, or to gain some speed when the Bell-provided CPE gear only had Gigabit Ethernet connectivity options.  With Rogers, you get a 10GigE connection, and the ONT basically acts as a bridge and provides a simple connectivity option.

grwl
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the explanation,but still my question stays that what is it doing?

And yes, For my why, there are many reasons to remove it.

Is rogers authenticating with its mac address?

Why rogers does not want it to be bypassed ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl wrote:
Thanks for the explanation,but still my question stays that what is it doing?

Here's what it does: https://www.nokia.com/networks/fixed-networks/fiber-ont/

It's basically Rogers endpoint on their FTTH network when they provision your service.

And yes, For my why, there are many reasons to remove it.

And what are those?

It still stands that you can't remove the ONT.  I also think it's great that Rogers is providing a simple standalone ONT rather than one that it integrated into a gateway.

grwl
I plan to stick around

Ok I guess I have a clear idea of what it does.

Reason of why - Networking Curosity

can you answer this

Is rogers authenticating with its mac address and SN?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl wrote:

can you answer this

Is rogers authenticating with its mac address and SN?

I don't have FTTH in my area yet but I'm pretty sure that they do.

Rogers does not allow FTTH self-installs but the Rogers tech would still need to use the equivalent of Nokia's Easy Start when provisioning the service.

The ONT also allows Rogers to perform testing of the FTTH endpoint.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 2 in conversation