cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Changed to 1.5GBPS and Speed Is Same or Slower

ZACCC93
I've been around

I'm in the south end of barrie and have had "1gbps" service since moving there in 2019 up until a few weeks ago. A new speed was available in my area, 1.5gpbs. Great! made the changes with rogers and confirmed my XB7 is still compatible with this new service. I have noticed no difference in speed over wifi or any of my devices on ethernet running CAT7 to all. Rogers says there is no issues at all and "everything looks good on our end". well I'm declaring shenanigan's on rogers. its been over 3 years of terrible service and rogers not standing up to their satisfaction guarantee. Is anyone else experiencing slower than advertised speeds and getting a constant run around?

*Added Labels*

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Recently Changed to 1.5GBPS and Speed Is Same or Slower

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ZACCC93 wrote:

I'm in the south end of barrie and have had "1gbps" service since moving there in 2019 up until a few weeks ago. A new speed was available in my area, 1.5gpbs. Great! made the changes with rogers and confirmed my XB7 is still compatible with this new service. I have noticed no difference in speed over wifi or any of my devices on ethernet running CAT7 to all. Rogers says there is no issues at all and "everything looks good on our end". well I'm declaring shenanigan's on rogers. its been over 3 years of terrible service and rogers not standing up to their satisfaction guarantee. Is anyone else experiencing slower than advertised speeds and getting a constant run around?

Okay, but keep in mind that by upgrading Ignite to 1.5 Gigabit Internet, all that you are doing is upgrading your modem's connection to the Rogers network to 1.5 Gbps.  The only way that you will be able to attain 1.5 Gbps data transfer rates to any one device is if it has a network connection that can also attain that speed, such as with a 2.5 GigE network card connected to the XB7's 2.5 GigE LAN port.

However, a computer with a Gigabit Ethernet connection will still only be able to transfer data at 940 Mbps, because that is as fast as the Interface will allow.  If your Wi-Fi is performing exceptionally well,  a single computer might be able to attain transfer speeds approaching 700 Mbps over Wi-Fi 5 and over 900 Mbps with Wi-Fi 6.

If you have two computers, each connected directly to the XB7 with a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection, they will both be able to simultaneously transfer data at 750 Mbps.

By upgrading to the faster Internet service, you are upgrading the shared bandwidth that is available to all of the devices in your home.

User2402
I've been around

Switched from 150U to 1.5GB ignite and now wifi down AND upload speeds are half what they used to be??

Nothing has changed in setup....also restarted EVERY piece of hardware ..no change.what gives Rogers?

Woody33
I plan to stick around

I have a similar problem to the OP, but in the Ottawa area.  I was offered the 1.5Gb package on "special" two days ago, and switched.  Immediately after the client rep flicked the switch over to the new tier (I was on the 1Gb tier prior), my D/L speeds halved (420Mb/s, max).  I have a newer model 2.5Gb capable router (Asus RT-AX86U) and it is properly configured with a 2.5Gb WAN I/F.  Prior to the customer service person changing my plan, I had 920Mb/s downloads consistently.  The only thing that changed was my plan and now I am left with a restricted service.  I get it that the 2/5Gb is only between the modem and router, and after that it is gigabit out of the router, but I should not have seen a degradation from what I was getting on the old plan, with the exact same configuration. And before anyone says, "420Mb/s is more than sufficient for anything", I would ask them if they would be dissappointed that a car they bought that was advertised as having a 2.4l engine turned out to only be 1.0l?

Call was made to Rogers tech support.  Rebooted everything, no change (had already done that, of course).  Tech finally came out, and the only thing he said he could do is to swap the cable modem for the latest Gen3 model (have a Gen2 now).  Waiting for him to return in a day or two with the new modem, but my spidey sense is telling me this will accomplish nothing, and it is more of a back end provisioning issue, or an issue at my local node.  Pretty sure Rogers is not swapping modems for every new 1.5Gb tier customer! Logging in to my cable modem (it is in bridge mode), I see only one OFDM downstream channel listed in the config... pretty sure I would need more than one (two to three, perhaps?) to obtain full 1.5Gb speeds.  The only positive change is that my U/L speed increased to 50Mb/s vs. the old 30Mb/s.  Fingers crossed.  Should have remembered, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...  even for potentially faster speeds at a lower price!!

Greetings @User2402!

If you've already attempted to factory reset the modem and set it up from scratch, then I'd like to run some tests as the next step.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

As for @Woody33, please let us know how the modem swap goes. If you're still having issues, please return and let us know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

philosopherdog
I've been around

I've had a number of technicians check my line. Now they're closing the ticket and saying they cannot find the cause of the problem. What is an acceptable speed for a 1.5gb internet connection? How do I get this fixed?

@philosopherdog wrote:

What is an acceptable speed for a 1.5gb internet connection?

FYI, since upgrading to the 1.5 Gig service, I have not seen my speed decrease.  I'm waiting for some new hardware to arrive so that I can perform a proper test, and I expect that my download speeds will probably exceed 2 Gbps.

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

I also have the same issue.  I was on Ignite 500u and I had an offer to upgrade to Ignite Gigabit 1.5.   Previously on speedtest I would get around 450-480 (close to 500), but now I average around 380.  This is testing with the same device - desktop connected via Ethernet to a 4-port switch to an XB6 (?) modem CGM4141ROG.   

I also unplugged and replugged the modem thinking that maybe something hadn't synced up but that didn't change anything.

I read that testing with the Gigabit service is different in that I have to test with two devices simultaneously and that the combined result should be close to the expected gigabit speed.  I'd like to understand why that is - by the same logic, when I was on 500u then I should only have been seeing 200-250.   I anticipate that if I contact support they will tell me the same thing so rather than spending time spinning on the phone, I'd like to find out the logic behind this.   I don't expect that I will ever see the full 1 gig on the test, but I should've at least seen an increase from previous tests.

That being said, could it be that my modem needs to be changed?

Hello, @mdesrochers2

Thank you for posting your concern to the community.

It is quite strange that you are now seeing slower speeds than before, we may need to send a re-send a signal to your modem to ensure it is updated with the right speeds for your account. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

cruzman877
I've been around

I had a similar issue, had 500mn speed, upgraded to 1.5gb speed and it feels like nothing has changed, multiple techs to site said everything looks okay, the xb7 is on bridge mode with a tp link archer11000 router I use for wifi, but my wifi speeds remain the same as before 400-670mbps.  I thought for sure rogers, but plugging into the 2.5gb ethernet port on the xb7 to my laptop with a usb to ethernet adapter at 2.5gbps I received 1800mbps.  I just cant figure out why I cant attain near that speed over any wifi device close to the router all wifi 6 capable including the router, unsure if i need to upgrade the router, the xb7 was the same on wifi, slow speeds at 500-600mbps

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

Hi - I actually managed to arrange for a tech to come down today after talking with someone from the management escalations team (due to a different topic).  The tech she brought online was of the opinion that I should do a modem swap as I’m still on the XB6 (black modem).  Also the pods are likely first gen since I was only hitting 100-110 on a Speedtest using my iPhone 11 Pro when working off a pod.  I’ll report back on how it went.

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

@RogersTony So the tech came down today and swapped my XB6 modem to the XB7.  Some observations:

• Speedtests from the desktops that were attached via the gigabit switch did improve (now they are hitting 700-ish for download).
  • Since the XB7 had four ports, I wanted to test the ports so I could potentially migrate off the switch.  Ports 1, 3, and 4 showed the same results from the speed test (i.e. 700-ish or better) however Port 2 hovers around 100.   Is that normal or do I have a dud port?
  • I activated the 3 pods (model WNXE12AWR - I think these may be the gen 1's).  Running a speedtest from my iPhone 11 Pro connected to the furthest pod (basement) was barely hitting 80.   This is lower than the 100-110 I used to get.   Perhaps the pods need to be updated as well?  
  • Also, before I activated the pods, I was getting 600-ish on my iPhone connected to the gateway.   Now, post-activation, I'm also hovering around 80 when connected to the gateway.  Did the pods make things worse?

@mdesrochers2 wrote: ....before I activated the pods, I was getting 600-ish on my iPhone connected to the gateway.   Now, post-activation, I'm also hovering around 80 when connected to the gateway.  Did the pods make things worse?

Shouldn't be, but make sure you're actually connected to the Gateway with the phone. Get close to the Gateway, turn WiFi off, then on again.  You may have still been connected to the pod with the phone when you were getting 80.

I can wander all over my house and my iPhone seamlessly switches between my Powerline adaptor, which gives me 100 in the basement and when I get closer to the gateway my phone goes up to twice what I pay for in terms of speed. Obviously I'm not on the highest tier and save a fair bit of money by doing that.  Lots of people seem to be obsessed with speed when 99.9% of people don't need it.

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

Good point - I did try it and unfortunately it didn't improve much......went up to 90.   I checked the Ignite wi-fi app and it does show my iPhone connected to the gateway.

@mdesrochers2  I don't know for sure what the XB6's actual maximum internal data transfer speed is but replacing it with the XB7 was definitely the right thing to do, especially given that it has a 2.5 GigE port, which should allow you to attain the higher speeds that your upgraded Internet service provides.

With a Gigabit Ethernet connection, you should be able to attain download speeds of 940 Mb/s on all ports.

On the XB7, Port 2 is special in that it can be associated with a "Home Security" network.  I don't know whether or not Rogers uses or supports this capability.  Port 4 can also be designated as a "WAN" port, for connectivity to external modems and ONTs.  Unless configured otherwise, they can all be used as LAN ports.

A "Gen. 2" pod will have two Ethernet ports; the "Gen 1" only has one.  Regardless of which Pods you have, it is crucial that they are placed in an area that still has good connectivity to the Ignite gateway.  Pods also need to be placed strategically to that they provide optimal coverage.  More Pods is not necessarily better.  You also want your Wi-Fi mesh to have a hub and spoke topology, with the Ignite gateway in centre; you should avoid placing Pods in such a way that they connect to other Pods.  If you don't have you Pods placed in optimal locations, you will not get seamless hand-offs when you roam through your home with mobile devices.

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

Thanks, had no idea about Port 2 being potentially deployed that way.  I wonder if that's the reason for the low value.

I definitely have Gen 1 pods based on your description.  Unfortunately I couldn't do a hub-and-spoke as our home office is on the 2nd floor and we hardwire our desktops to the switch (which is in turn wired to the modem)  - personal preference really as our desktops can go wireless but would rather have the ethernet speed.   Which means we have one pod on the main floor and the other in the basement.  Although I would've thought with the XB7 that each of the pods would communicate with the XB7 directly (due to the improved wi-fi) instead of daisy-chaining....maybe a bad assumption on my part.

I did manage to get a hold of the tech who came by and he said wait 24 hours for the modem to receive the full gigabit signal and that should also improve the pods' speeds.  I guess Rogers is running some kind of batch process?   I'll be testing this again tomorrow for sure.

Woody33
I plan to stick around

Thought I would follow up, as things are now good.  I do get quite the variation on speeds, but at least I can understand that.

In my particular case, the culprit ended up being the Wireguard VPN Server I had activated on my ASUS RT-AX86U router.  Activating that particular server turns off h/w acceleration, resulting in the lower speeds seen by the router's clients.  With the VPN server turned off, speeds were as expected.  In fact, the ASUS router has it's own internal speed test.  I have often seen it report 1.7Gbps, well over my package's 1.5Gbps speed.  Case closed!

@Woody33, so you were seeing 420 Mb/s with Wireguard running on the AX86U.  If I'm reading your posts correctly, that's not bad for a VPN.  Just have to remember to reenable Hardware Acceleration when you turn Wireguard off. 

Woody33
I plan to stick around

Yep, I was pretty impressed.  One of the reasons I have stuck with ASUS routers with Merlin f/w.  That speed is also while running Diversion w/pixelsrv-tls, SkyNet, and various other router addons via AMTM.  The RT-AX86U doesn't even break a sweat.  Well, maybe a small one when Wireguard is active and h/w accel is disabled! 😀

Woody33
I plan to stick around

I have a (newish) desktop PC sitting about 5 feet away from an ASUS RT-AX86U router, connected to the Rogers cable modem in bridge mode.  The desktop is using the wifi that comes on a MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI, which is RZ608 WiFi 6e 80Mhz chip.  I consistently get 1.1 to 1.2Gbps WiFi connections.  That is the "reported" speed of course, not the actual!  Same thing goes for my Samsung S22 Ultra.  Actual speedtest results on both devices connected via WiFi end up being around 525Mbps.  My router, which has an internal speed test (Ookla, too) reports anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7Gbps.  In the "real world", I believe your speeds of 400-670Mbps are going to be as good as it gets.  That is why I use ethernet throughout the house and connect any/all devices that have a physical port!

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

@-G- Not quite 24 hours later but I re-tested port 2 on the modem and it now automagically gives me a result of 800+.   My iPhone working off the gateway is also now reporting 600+.  Connecting to the pod in the basement, I get an average of 130-ish from my iPhone.   So it looks like whatever transpires in that 24-hour period kicked in.....I imagine that there's some sort of reset or syncing happening from the Rogers server that happens overnight?   All things considered I would say that switching to the XB7 modem is giving me what I expected from the 1.5 Gigibit service.

I guess the only other thing I want to try is ditching the pods to see if I can get a better signal from the XB7 directly.   From what I understand, the gen 1 pods max out at 200.   My Apple TV in the basement is wifi 6 compatible so curious to see if it will get better signal from the gateway as opposed to having a gen 2 pod down there (which is still not wifi 6 but maxes out at 600 from what I understand). 

Topic Stats