Random Internet lag spikes on online games.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Random Internet lag spikes on online games.

For about 3 weeks now i was not able to play any game properly. Every 2-5min my Ping would spike to 600-2000 for about 1-5s depending on how the spike is. I find this really distracting when playing games specially when it happens every 3-5min its driving me nuts.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Random Internet lag spikes on online games.

Are you gaming via ethernet or wifi connected device?  Are the ping spikes seen specifically on either path or both?  Can you log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might be worth looking at.

I've Been Here Awhile

im gaming via ethernet and my ping spikes randomly at different times. this is my DOCSIS WAN UP and DOWNSTREAM 

Downstream Channels  

Power Level:Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:3.7 dBmV38.6 dB
Channel 2:4.0 dBmV38.9 dB
Channel 3:4.2 dBmV38.7 dB
Channel 4:4.0 dBmV37.2 dB
Channel 5:3.8 dBmV37.8 dB
Channel 6:5.4 dBmV36.2 dB
Channel 7:4.4 dBmV36.8 dB
Channel 8:4.9 dBmV38.0 dB
Upstream Channels  

Power Level:
Channel 1:39.5 dBmV
Channel 2:43.7 dBmV
Channel 3:41.2 dBmV
Channel 4:0.0 dBmV

I've Been Here Awhile

i notice the ping spike more on gaming but sometimes my skype would randomly lag and would take forever to send a message
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your signal levels are slightly high on the downstream side, normally they are in a 0 to 3 dBmV range.  The signal to noise ratios are good.  The upstream is normally in the 36 to 40 dBmV range, so yours aren't too bad.  From a signals perspective I don't think you have levels that would cause any issues.  Are you playing on a pc based game or gaming console, and are you in a house, condo, apartment, highrise etc?   Where you are located makes a difference in the upstream device that the modem communicates with.  You could always call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem to determine if anything shows up, and ask the CSR to check the node, which is the next device upstream if you're in a house.  If the node that you are on is overloaded, you could see ping spikes occur, so that's a possibility. Only way to find out is to call tech support when you notice that you have huge ping spikes.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't be afraid to call in to check the modem and node.  Having said that, is there any possibility that the ping spikes are the result of loads on the game server. That's something that always has to be considered.  Are there other family members in the household running games or streaming videos for example, which could conceivably add to the ping times that you see?

I've Been Here Awhile

Im playing on a gaming pc in a house and i do have other people using my internet but it was never an issue untill now :/
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any chance that one of them has signed up for something new, game or streaming service that is taking up a fair amount of bandwidth?  You could try a test.  Ban everyone from using the internet for a test period.  Disconnect every other ethernet device and disable the wifi, run the game and see if you still see ping spikes.  That will at least determine if the issue is internal to the LAN, or external, possibly with the node or beyond.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've had a tech out to look at it, said everything was fine, same with tech support multiple times.. Did a tracert and it seems to get stuck in different spots everytime.. Wondering if I could get any advice on here. Normally when my internet is functioning properly, these times are never over 30-35ms.

Examples: 

(league of legends NA server)Capture44.JPGCapture2.JPG

Capture434234.JPG

I've Been Here Awhile

This is an example when its not lagging:

nolag.JPG

I'm Here A Lot

Having the exact same problems as you, except for the last month. Been on the phone with rogers countless times. Constantly being referred from one place to another, I feel like I'm running in circles. My ticket has been closed twice now while in progress. Each time Rogers claims it's fixed. Tech has been to my house too, no issues according to him.

Yours happens at peak times, right? Like evenings and weekends?

Currently experiecing 700 ping and 80 jitter. It will be back to normal at 2am..

Nobody really cares either. Every person I call in has a different solution or just says "okay we will work on it/open another ticket". Don't expect Rogers to give you a discount for interrupted service either. I'm calling Bell after the long weekend is over and switching. I suggest you do the same so you can save yourself time and save your money since you're clearly not getting your moneys worth.