Random Internet lag spikes on online games.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Re: Random Internet lag spikes on online game

I remember Rogers use too charge extra for another IP address for all users but I can't find it on there site anymore.
CaptChair
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Just checked, not available on residential accounts. Business only 😞

yyzsam
I Plan to Stick Around

No static IPs for residential cusomters but they are fairly static if you are not offline for too long. 24hrs I think. With Rogers or Teksavvt my IP would only charge once or twice a year. A chnage in MAC addrss will also grab a different IP.

As for a 2nd IP, you will be assigned up to two at the same time.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Re: Random Internet lag spikes on online games.

The issue I'm having is me and my brother play NHL 17 at the same time same house, and what we find is who ever logs on first the game plays/ feels better then the other one that comes on second - feels slow sluggish. Now is this a Rogers issue or game issue we have tried both hard wired and same thing it's always ones game is faster and responsive then the other I don't get. Both Xbox ones NAT open
yyzsam
I Plan to Stick Around

I just quickly scanned through the thread and to me it sounds like port contention, (you are both fighting to get through the same door).

It's not a modem or bandwidth issue (not unless someone is saturating your line at the same time).

I have an XB1 as well but I've never had another in the house, interesting probelm you have. I personally can't stand PnP, there has to be a better way.

How much control do you have over the modem in the house, how close are you and your brother? I want to come up with a solution as I find this situation interesting.

Gotta put the kids to bed, I'll give this some thought and get back to you.

crazyshot
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone here get latency spikes on League of Legends here? I use to play on that sweet 28 ping but now its around 50+ and sometimes goes past 100 which is quite unfortunate.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Thanks. I have full access to the modem, we are next to each other both plugged in to the Rogers coda modem with. 6 ft Ethernet cable with upnp enabled , open Nat on both consoles
yyzsam
I Plan to Stick Around

So without giving it too much thought, here are some quick and dirty ideas;

• uPnP is supposed to be “the” answer to all this. It’s been years since I have tried to use it and it sucked for me so I am no expert, maybe now it’s better. So I’d reset my modem or ensure there is no port forwarding entries, enable uPnP and DHCP. Setup the xbox for DHCP and say couple of hail Mary’s. If the uPnP on the CODA is working properly, it should accept requests from box Xboxes and give it different ports to use. That’s assuming the game will use a range of ports. Good luck!

• If you can boot the family off of the internet while you play and are not too concerned with security (I wouldn’t be with the XB1s). Kick the CODA into bridge mode, plug both XB1s in and each will get a public IP and you should be good to go. When you are done playing, kick the CODA back into gateway mode. Not sure if it will keep the previous settings.

• This one costs money. If you can’t kick the family off the internet, get a decent wifi router of your choice. Put the CODA into bridge mode, wifi/router into one port, this feeds the house with internet and your xbox one with static IP and port forwarding. Plug the other xbox into the CODA to get a public IP. You should be good to go!

• This one cost a bit more money if you are concerned about security. Do the above and get a second router, turn off wifi if it has it and plug that into the CODA then your xbox into that one and setup static ip and port forwarding.

• Wait for IPv6, in theory this should solve your problems.
lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Put the CODA into bridge mode, wifi/router into one port, this feeds the house with internet and your xbox one with static IP and port forwarding. Plug the other xbox into the CODA to get a public IP.

This is what I was asking couple of hours ago but I don't think it would work ?
lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

This one cost a bit more money if you are concerned about security. Do the above and get a second router, turn off wifi if it has it and plug that into the CODA then your xbox into that one and setup static ip and port forwarding.

Your saying put the coda in bridge mode then hook up two routers to it with each Xbox plugged to separate routers ? I always thought once coda was in bridge mode only 1 port works ? I will be trying this later thanks