Question on using all the CAT5E for internet in a newly constructed house

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Question on using all the CAT5E for internet in a newly constructed house

Anyways to be quite honest with you, This forum is for providing help to solve Rogers related issues. As much as I want to give more advice and help about Smart Wiring your house with Ethernet in every room, this is not really a "rogers" issue at all. Yes its nice to have it but Rogers folks are not trained to answer such questions, and some of their experts are knowledgeable in this field and can offer some advice, however to get the job done, If you are skilled in this area go right ahead and smart wire your house, otherwise contact a professional to have this type of work done. there are tons of network installers on the jiffy app, on homestars, and even on facebook market place, kijiji or craig's list.

dnpatel
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink 

• The new house is in new subdivision Whitby, ON L1P 0K6
  • I am getting access to see house on next Monday. thanks for the screw driver tip.
  • Builder charged $150 per cat5e and I believe cat5e wall plate will be similar to Cat5e / F-Type Wall Plate.
  • So far I have ordered GS308 
  • I will upload pics on Monday
dnpatel
I Plan to Stick Around

understood and noted
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
my sister in law has Rogers FTTH, the fiber stops at the basement near the hydro panel. From there, there is a doo hickey thing a ma bob that converts fiber to copper, and uses existing copper runs throughout your house to the desired bedroom. its very unlikely they will run a fiber optic right to the location you want your modem.

That doohickey thing is an RFoG ONU.  Something like this.

@dnpatel The service that @Datalink  mentioned is a next-generation service that Rogers is only just starting to install in a few areas, and is based on a completely different technology.  If you do get a piece of Nokia equipment as part of your install package, please post more information to the following thread: New Rogers FTTH Service

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dnpatel  I looked up the postal code that you posted and found that Rogers does offer legacy services (e.g. basic TV Starter Package) in your area, so I don't think that you will be getting that next-gen FTTH service... but I would love to be wrong about this.

If your builder only roughed-in some wiring and you have unterminated coax cables in some rooms, since you are getting a professional installation from Rogers, if you ask nicely, the Rogers installation tech can attach F-connectors so that you can use them later.  If the builder used cheap, sub-standard coax F-connectors, the Rogers tech should be able to replace those as well.