Ps4 and xbox one on at same time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ps4 and xbox one on at same time

Ps4 is still nat type 2
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, ok, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... CAPABILITY page and see if UPNP is checked (enabled). 

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes its checked
I'm an Advisor

@trobichaud2000 wrote:
Hitron technologies
Model CGN2ROG

Oh dear. Are you running this thing in bridge mode or gateway mode?

In bridge mode, the thing is passable (my parents run one with an Asus RT-AC68U router). In gateway mode... eeeeek... I don't even want to think about it. 

Might make sense to look into swapping that out for a CGN3ACSMR, which I think ( @Datalink and @Gdkitty, do you agree?) is the least problematic of Rogers' gateways. But if you are on an older plan that will cost you more... 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok will do
I Plan to Stick Around

So should i buy another router
I'm an Advisor

@trobichaud2000 wrote:
So should i buy another router

Possibly. But first I think you should tell us what plan you are on, and how much you are paying for it. 

If you can get a better, current plan with a CGN3ACSMR rental included for a comparable price, then I think you might as well dump that CGN2. Then consider getting a dedicated router and bridging the CGN3ACSMR...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@trobichaud2000 do you own a router now?  And, if so, are you using it at the present time?  If you are, can you describe your network so we have a better idea of how its configured.  I wouldn't go out buying anything at this stage.  As @VivienM indicated, lets sort out the internet plan first, and have a look at your current network, and then go from there. 

Fwiw, I haven't compared the XBox and PS3/4 ports yet, but just off the top of my head, I don't know how any router would handle situations where the same ports were required for two Local Area IP addresses, ie: two consoles running simultaneously.  That's actually a very good question. 

I suspect that the problem with the PS4 running a restricted NAT might be because the CG2 doesn't have enough space for the number of port forwarding rules that the PS4 requires.  And, moving up might not solve that either as it appears that the CN3ACSMR doesn't forward port 80, which is on the PS4s list.

Here is some food for thought.  I know from other posts that the CGN3ACSMR will allocate two IP addresses when its running in Bridge mode, that is to say running as a modem only.  Typically people only ever plug one router into the modem in that case.  You could in theory plug two routers into the modem and end up with two completely independent networks, one for the PS4  and one for the XBox.  The drawback, it takes two routers, so, double the cost.  This should also work for the CGN3 I believe.  So, you might be able to keep your current internet plan and obtain a CGN3 modem.  I don't know how much of a cost that would be, but it can't be very much.  As @VivienM indicated, it might be cheaper to go to one of the newer plans which has a modem cost built in. But, you have to be very careful doing that as it will breakup any existing bundle you might have running.  So that's something that would bear close scrutiny, to determine what the new costs might be.

I'm a Regular

You will never get a open Nat if you have to consoles on at the same time when using Rogers modem. You will need to bridge the modem and buy a router go and buy a tplink archerC7 router which I know it supports more then one consoles

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like @lethalsniper has this cased.  A good third party router should solve the problem and allow you to maintain your current internet plan and modem.  With that on hand, its a matter of working out the mechanics, UPNP only, Static ports with UPNP, Static ports with port triggering?  That might take a little experimentation.   A good router might just handle the situation out of the box, without any playing around with it.  If you run a search for    router multiple console support    you will come across a few threads.  Here are some of them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1u03ew/list_of_routers_supporting_2_xb1s_with_open_nat/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2wjy8z/how_to_use_multiple_xbox_one_consoles_in_a_network/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2rznyo/router_recommendations_for_multiple_consoles/

From the first link come this list, which appears to be incomplete, based on the various posts around the net.

Asus RT-N56U
D-Link DGL-4100
Netgear DG834g v5
Netgear R6300
Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Asus RT-AC68U

it looks like Asus and Netgear routers should handle this without difficulty.  As @lethalsniper also indicated, the TP-Link Archer C7 will work.  It just happens that the C7 is on sale at tigerdirect.ca and canadacomputers.ca for $100 which isn't a bad price for a capable router. 

I've also seen references to loading DD-WRT for firmware in place of the manufacturers firmware, and that apparently works as well. 

So, this isn't looking so bad after all.  Just have to do a little searching around the net.