Ps4 and xbox one on at same time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ps4 and xbox one on at same time

I have 2 boys one on ps4 and other on xbox one. When there both on they cant go online. I have the 500gb extreme package. Is it to small.

***Edited Labels*** 

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Ps4 and xbox one on at same time

Hello @trobichaud2000,

Can you please provide more details of the issue that your boys are experiencing? Is this issue specific to the gaming consoles? Does the Internet work fine otherwise? We play both consoles at home as well but haven't tried both at the same time though. This issue wouldn't be related to Internet package itself. Do the Xbox and Ps4 completely get disconnected from the Internet when both turned on or is it just slow speeds and lag? 

Community, please feel free to chime in 🙂 @Datalink@Gdkitty

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersHassam, are both consoles used at the same time and if so, do they run with Open NAT? 

Do they normally run Open NAT at all times, and if so, what did you do to accomplish that?

Are you running a CGN3ACSMR at home?

Open NAT for both XBox and PS3/4 continues to be an issue, so if you've managed to solve this, there are a good number of people who would be interested in how you did it.

I Plan to Stick Around

They get disconnected and both of them cant connect only one. What is open nat
I Plan to Stick Around

Xbox one is on open nat.
I'm an Advisor

@trobichaud2000 wrote:

I have the 500gb extreme package. Is it to small.

***Edited Labels*** 

I don't think your plan has anything to do with this... but depending on how much you are paying for this package and what modem you are using (if you are using a DOCSIS 2 especially, it needs to go into retirement 3-5 years ago), it may be worth examining whether the new packages would give you better value/performance generally.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A modem or router provides Network Address Translation (NAT) services to the pc's, laptops, consoles and other devices on your local network.  Essentially it takes the singular web IP address that your modem has, and directs the correct data traffic to the right device on your network.  So, it has to translate the external IP address to the correct internal IP address. 

I'll direct you to the following page for the PS4.

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839

In order for a PS3/4 or XBox to function without any problems or restrictions, the incoming data has to be able to reach the console and all of the designed internet ports on the console have to be accessible by the outside servers.  A port is nothing but a IP address with a specific internal sub-address, to keep it simple.  So, what that means is that when that data arrives at the modem, it has to be directed to a specific console's IP address on the local network and to a specific port or sub-address.  When that doesn't happen, the console ends up with a restricted NAT and that can cause problems when it comes to playing the game, using the chat system and others. 

To get around this the usual procedure is to either employ a function within the modem or router titled UPNP (Universal Plug and Play), or, to set a static IP address for the console and set the port forwarding from external address to internal address manually.  UPNP is a function that allows the modem or router to function in conjunction with the console to set the correct ports so that the console will run properly.  The other method which the user has to do manually will end up or should end up with the same result.

There are a couple of challenges to this.  The CGN3ACSMR does not appear to allow port 80 forwarding.  This is one of the ports required by the PS4.  Not sure about the XBox at this time.  The CGN3 apparently does.  And, there is a restriction of 9 (?) port forwarding rules within the CGN3 series modems.  This can be overcome by running an extended number range when the port forarding rules are set up.  The port 80 situation can't be overcome with the CGN3ACSMR.  

As for your current situation where its either one or the other, I can see that happening if both consoles are trying to use the same ports.  Its possible that the modem doesn't like that situation, and that is probably the same for some routers as well.

Hope this helps. 

Can you look at the back of the modem and see what model it is, CGN2, CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR, DPC-3825?  That might help to sort this out.

You indicated that the Xbox one is on open nat.  Can you check the PS4 as well and see what it does when its the only console running?

I Plan to Stick Around

Xbox one is open nat and ps4 is type 2
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, ok, shut down both consoles so that they are not running, not even in any standby mode.  Then restart the modem.  Pull the power on it and then plug it back again to force a restart.  Then start the PS4 only and check the NAT again.  If its Open NAT this time around, and you turn it off to start the XBox, I suspect that the XBox will be less than Open NAT.  Can you tell us what modem it is as seen by the product sticker on the back of the modem?  Once I know that I can look for the UPNP enable checkbox for the modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron technologies
Model CGN2ROG
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation