Problems with 250u

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Problems with 250u

Are those 17 networks the combined total of 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, or is that the 5 Ghz total only? Thanks for indicating that you're on channel 44 as I was assuming to this point that the wifi card was only a 2.4 Ghz card. That is why I was musing about switching wifi cards. This should be much easier knowing that a 5 Ghz wifi card is already in use. Have a look at how many networks are up in the channel 149 space and higher as those channels have a higher allowable power output and a higher data rate as a result. If there is a channel that is unoccupied, or has very low powered network already there, try switching to that channel to see if it improves your range and data rates.

The question of the day is why do you only show a 72 Mb/s connect rate on the wifi Status Panel? With three 5 Ghz antenna on the modem, and possibly two antenna on the laptop, at the very least, if you are in close range to the modem, you should be seeing 150 Mb/s as a connect rate. If you look at the following chart and follow the 20 Mhz wide channel down, specifically the 400 nanosecond guard channel column, you see 72.2 Mb/s at the bottom of the 1 Spatial Stream set of rows.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/1128i1B0D5B8474F8D75B

That 1 Spatial Stream is the result of a single antenna, single data stream type of transmission. If you keep going down that column, to the bottom of the 2 spatial stream rows, you see 144.4 Mb/s for a connection rate. Where you should be at is at the very right hand side of the chart on a 40 Mhz wide channel and 400 nanoseconds guard column, at 300 Mb/s when you are in close range from the modem.

Can you check the following settings for the modem. For both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless, check the Bandwidth setting in the Modem's WIRELESS....BASIC SETTINGS page and ensure that it is set for 20/40 Mhz, and that WPS Enabled selection is set to OFF. For the 5 Ghz network, the Wireless mode should probably be set to 802.11 11n 5G. I'm assuming that the laptop wifi card does not support 802.11ac. Also check the Security mode for both networks to ensure the following settings:

Wireless Security Mode: WPA - Personal
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES

Save the changes and reboot the modem. The reboot button is under ADMIN....DEVICE RESET.

When the modem is finshed rebooting bring up the Wifi Status Panel by going through the Network and Sharing Center and see if the Speed has changed to 300 Mb/s for example.

As I indicated before with three 5 Ghz antenna on the modem, and possibly two antenna on the laptop you should be seeing higher connect rates and therefore higher speedtest data rates. If you don't, that leads to the conclusion that either the modem or laptop are not working as expected. If you switch to a 2.4 Ghz network running from the modem, and run the same check for the connect rate, that should tell you which one has the problem. The Hitron modems have 3 antenna for 2.4 Ghz networks and 3 for the 5 Ghz networks. In both cases, at close range, with the modem set for 20/40 Mhz wide channels the laptop should be able to connect at higher rates unless there is an overwhelming amount of interference nearby that is preventing the modem from running 40 Mhz wide channels. As you indicated that you were the only one on channel 44, it doesn't sound like that should be the case.

If you see reduced data rates from both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, that leads one to the conclusion that the wifi card in the laptop either has a single antenna attached, or, if it is supposed to be a dual antenna installation, one of the antenna is either disconnected or broken. I don't think there would be a limit that could be set in the advanced settings for the wifi card, but, that would be worth checking, just to ensure that there isn't one that is set to limit the throughput.

If you see that the connected data rate is correct on the 2.4 Ghz networks, the conclusion from that would be that the 5 Ghz antenna on the modem do not work as expected and a modem swap is in order.

Ok, so there's a few items to check which will hopefully add enough details to sort out the connecting rate.

At the end of all of this, with the modem signal levels and data rates up to where they should be, and the laptop connecting at its proper rate, the conclusion might be that the best option is to run the modem in Bridge mode and use a good third party router to improve the wifi performance, or possibly use a router in Bridge mode if your laptop is typically parked at your desk and doesn't move around much. Food for thought.....

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You can get the 7260 AC WiFi card at Newegg.ca or Canada Computers.  Makes an excellent upgrade over a basic wireless card and should be a simple drop in upgrade, not much harder than upgrading ram.  You just have to remove and replace the antenna connections when you replace the card.

I Plan to Stick Around

Put a order  in for a AC 7260 so that should help some problems. Sadly not going to be able to get a Tachnican in till Monday due to timing issues but I am sure that will fix whatever lingering issues I may suffer after. Also I think I should clarify a bit...I am using a tablet (A 'Nvidia Shield' specifially) to test anything 5G. I think I can confirm with near certainty my laptop is not connecting to 5G; mainly because it doesn't even detect my network with the "-5G" distinction at all whereas my tablet does. Lastly I have been looking at a router to help push the signal stength in my room... eyeing a Nighthawk AC1900 to do the job.

I'm an Advisor

@BishopH wrote:

Put a order  in for a AC 7260 so that should help some problems. Sadly not going to be able to get a Tachnican in till Monday due to timing issues but I am sure that will fix whatever lingering issues I may suffer after. Also I think I should clarify a bit...I am using a tablet (A 'Nvidia Shield' specifially) to test anything 5G. I think I can confirm with near certainty my laptop is not connecting to 5G; mainly because it doesn't even detect my network with the "-5G" distinction at all whereas my tablet does. Lastly I have been looking at a router to help push the signal stength in my room... eyeing a Nighthawk AC1900 to do the job.

Replacing the wireless card is a great idea if i) you have the skills to do it, and ii) it's not an HP/Lenovo laptop (both HP and Lenovo are famous for only allowing machines to boot if a 'whitelisted' network card is used. Any other card and it won't boot..)

Regarding the router, while good things have been said about the Nighthawk, I think you'll find the consensus around here favours the Asus RT-AC68U, which is what many REs have... 

I'm an Advisor

@88keyz wrote:

You can get the 7260 AC WiFi card at Newegg.ca or Canada Computers.  Makes an excellent upgrade over a basic wireless card and should be a simple drop in upgrade, not much harder than upgrading ram.  You just have to remove and replace the antenna connections when you replace the card.

In all fairness, how hard it is to upgrade depends on the laptop's design. I've seen laptops that have a door on the bottom that has both the RAM and the wireless card. I've also seen laptops where the network card is wedged under the palm rest, such that considerable disassembly is required to reach it - way more than to reach RAM in most machines... 

(Funny story: I have both a Dell L502x, purchased new, and a L702x, bought on eBay from a fellow who had gone with the basis single-band wireless card. The L502x has easy-to-reach RAM and wireless cards behind a panel underneath, but requires taking off the palm rest to reach the hard drive. The L702x, i.e. the 17" version in the exact same family, has easy-to-reach RAM and hard drive, but requires taking off the palm rest to reach the wireless card.)

If you are running a machine that doesn't do BIOS whitelisting (i.e. not an HP/Lenovo), then I do completely agree that upgrading the wireless card is a very good idea... 

I Plan to Stick Around

I've taken apart my fair share of laptops with Dell honestly being the worst to deal with in my opinion lol. Anyways I have Sager NP8298 which has much more expandability than most common laptops. Shouldn't take more than 5 mins to swap out the card and I don't think they do BIOS whitelisting...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there an access panel on the bottom of the laptop that allows for a quick swap?

I'm an Advisor

@BishopH wrote:

I've taken apart my fair share of laptops with Dell honestly being the worst to deal with in my opinion lol. Anyways I have Sager NP8298 which has much more expandability than most common laptops. Shouldn't take more than 5 mins to swap out the card and I don't think they do BIOS whitelisting...

Have you taken apart Lenovos? The ThinkPads I've taken apart were held up by extremely flimsy clips and tape... at least Dell's clips don't seem to easily break... 

I Plan to Stick Around

No acess port specifically but all I have to do is unscrew the keyboard(5 screws) and it's right there under it. Also for the Dell it's not so much the durability that was the issue, it's the level of difficulty to reach simple parts within the laptop that is a pain.

I Plan to Stick Around

I use 2 Nighthawk 1900's, without any issue. One as an Access Point and, one as a router. Although the Netgear's stock firmware has been increasingly  stable, I have opted to run a 3rd party firmware that has an ASUS look and feel, and, also significantly more control, than with Netgear's stock firmware.  Pretty easy to migrate to this 3rd party firmware. If you decide to go with the Nighthawk. Netgear also has a  forum if you have questions. Check out the link below, and read through, if you decide to purchase a NightHawk. The AC7260 wirless chipset works like a charm on the Nighthawk. I run it on one of my laptops. It connects at 866.7Mbps, all day long, as along as the client and router setting are correct, irregardlees, of what firmware you run on the router.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/