Problem with wifi connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Problem with wifi connection

Hello, @Iridis

Thank you for posting the Downstream and Upstream signal levels. The downstream signal levels are treading at the border of allowed/accepted levels which may be causing the intermittent WiFi connection issues. 

Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can access your modem and run further diagnostics. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Trying to connect a 3DS to my CGN3ACSMR wifi

So I have this problem. My Nintendo 3DS used to connect our home wifi, but for some reason it won't anymore. I did some searching around and I found out that a 3DS won't connect if your router is in 802.11n mode. It will connect in 802.11 b/g or 802.11 b/g/n. I checked out my router and sure enough, it is now in 802.11n mode. Not sure how or when this changed, but now my ( and my kids )  3DS's won't connect. I need to access my router settings and I'm not sure how to do that. I make it as far as the login page for my CGN3ACSMR, but I don't know what my username or pass would be. Any help at this point would be great.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-Randy- wrote:

Trying to connect a 3DS to my CGN3ACSMR wifi

So I have this problem. My Nintendo 3DS used to connect our home wifi, but for some reason it won't anymore. I did some searching around and I found out that a 3DS won't connect if your router is in 802.11n mode. It will connect in 802.11 b/g or 802.11 b/g/n. I checked out my router and sure enough, it is now in 802.11n mode. Not sure how or when this changed, but now my ( and my kids )  3DS's won't connect. I need to access my router settings and I'm not sure how to do that. I make it as far as the login page for my CGN3ACSMR, but I don't know what my username or pass would be. Any help at this point would be great.

Thanks!

@-Randy-

the username is "cusadmin" 

password should be your wifi password.

If that doesn't work you can call into tech support and ask them to change the setting, or you can factory reset the gateway, but you'll have to set everything up again.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried the login and pass suggested, but it keeps telling me it's the wrong password. Is there a default one I should be trying?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-Randy- depending on which modem and which firmware version is loaded, you might be able to try the following:

username:  cusadmin

password:  password    (if this was never changed from the initial installation)

The new firmware versions have done away with the default password for security purposes and now step you thru a setup process that sets the wifi passphrase and modem password to the same password/passphrase. Those can be changed by logging back into the modem and setting each one to different phrases if you so choose. 

If the default password doesn't work and you can't remember what the password is, you can either run a factory reset by pressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it, or, call tech support to set the modem password to a new password of your choosing.  The factory reset would require you to reset all of the modem parameters. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

That last suggestion worked! Thank you so much! Now my kids can update their Animal Crossing game. ^_^

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite 30 will not hold connection in my new apartment

My home wifi will not hold the connection. This has been an ongoing issue since May 2017. It's gotten so bad that it will drop every few minutes. I was advised to upgrade to the Ignite 30 but the problem still persists. I have changed modems, Tech support has been out several times only to run the same diagnostic with no results. I live in an apartment. The odd thing is that for the first 6 months, my connection was solid. I am at at loss, of time and money for a product that will not work and tech support that has not advised or tried alternative diagnostics ... I think its a cable/power issue. Thoughts before I cancel ???

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Pinaca wrote:

Ignite 30 will not hold connection in my new apartment

My home wifi will not hold the connection. This has been an ongoing issue since May 2017. It's gotten so bad that it will drop every few minutes. I was advised to upgrade to the Ignite 30 but the problem still persists. I have changed modems, Tech support has been out several times only to run the same diagnostic with no results. I live in an apartment. The odd thing is that for the first 6 months, my connection was solid. I am at at loss, of time and money for a product that will not work and tech support that has not advised or tried alternative diagnostics ... I think its a cable/power issue. Thoughts before I cancel ???

Hi Pinaca,

First of all I can understand how frustrating this may be for you. One of the problems is that you mentioned 2 different problems in your post. If you call for troubleshooting and say that your wifi is intermittent, the wrong troubleshooting and results will occur. If you are not disconnecting from wifi, but loosing internet access, then whether or not you have any wired (ethernet) devices, it is not a wifi issue. Call for intermittent internet. If there are issues found on your line after testing, the we need to send a technician. If no issues are found and you have already swapped the modem, then a ticket needs to be escalated so that your connection can be monitored. The ticket process usually takes a minimum of 5 days (48 hours to be picked up, and 72 hours of monitoring your connection). Be very specific about when this happens, and what you are doing at the time the issue happens. Plug your modem directly to a wall outlet to eliminate power issues. Try to note the lights on the modem when it happens. CGN2 - the 4 on the far right, DPC3825 - the 4 on the left, all other Hitron modems - the top 4.

It is important to call tech support during the period you are having issues but the modem will need to be online for tests to be run.

Brian

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello Brian,

I have had many Techs out and even a senior tech. I was promised it would be monitored but it never was. I was told he would be the one to contact directly and he never returned any of my calls. I use Intermittent because that is what I was told it was. I have recorded dates and times. This is all on file and even video showing that once the signal drops, first the upload arrow will flash then it will be solid, then the download arrow flashes but never becomes solid. 

Tech Scott arrived, July 7th, at apprx 5:30pm and left by 7pm. Everything is working great at this time.

First drop July 14 .
Second drop July 15th @ 10:40am
Have video reconnect @ 10:56am
3rd  home at 2:04pm same flash mode. Unscrewed cable, connected and wifi up again
2:21pm dropped again, reconnect 2:40pm
Dropped 4:20pm & 4:58pm, reconnect at 5:15pm , 7:20 & 10:02pm
July 16 3:07pm until 4:11pm still no connection even after reset heavy pixels on tv when down. Reconnect at 4:23pm. Dropped at 4:28pm reconnect at 4:28pm dropped 4;47pm , 5:16pm,7:10pm,8:20pm
July 17, 8:30am down now for 1.5hrs again at 10:33am,11:50am,12:10pm ,4:30pm,5:20pm,6:05pm,6:13pm,6:29pm,6:52pm,7:14pm  

It was recommended that I should try to relocate and to use the power bar if it may be a dirty/old outlet issue. This is difficult for me to do without a splitter or entended amounts of cable. My biggest issue is that when the Techs do come out, there is not change of anything. Everything remains as is, not new cables are run.. nothing new is tried. How can you diagnose an ongoing issue if the same process is applied with the exact same result and not try something else??? 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pinaca wrote:

Hello Brian,

I have had many Techs out and even a senior tech. I was promised it would be monitored but it never was. I was told he would be the one to contact directly and he never returned any of my calls. I use Intermittent because that is what I was told it was. I have recorded dates and times. This is all on file and even video showing that once the signal drops, first the upload arrow will flash then it will be solid, then the download arrow flashes but never becomes solid. 

Tech Scott arrived, July 7th, at apprx 5:30pm and left by 7pm. Everything is working great at this time.

First drop July 14 .
Second drop July 15th@ @ 10:40am
@Have video reconnect @ 10:56am
3rd  home at 2:04pm same flash mode. Unscrewed cable, connected and wifi up again
2:21pm dropped again, reconnect 2:40pm
Dropped 4:20pm & 4:58pm, reconnect at 5:15pm , 7:20 & 10:02pm
July 16 3:07pm until 4:11pm still no connection even after reset heavy pixels on tv when down. Reconnect at 4:23pm. Dropped at 4:28pm reconnect at 4:28pm dropped 4;47pm , 5:16pm,7:10pm,8:20pm
July 17, 8:30am down now for 1.5hrs again at 10:33am,11:50am,12:10pm ,4:30pm,5:20pm,6:05pm,6:13pm,6:29pm,6:52pm,7:14pm  

It was recommended that I should try to relocate and to use the power bar if it may be a dirty/old outlet issue. This is difficult for me to do without a splitter or entended amounts of cable. My biggest issue is that when the Techs do come out, there is not change of anything. Everything remains as is, not new cables are run.. nothing new is tried. How can you diagnose an ongoing issue if the same process is applied with the exact same result and not try something else??? 

Your issue is a connection issue between the modem and CMTS. It's not you loosing WiFi, but rather the modem loosing it's connection to The Rogers CMTS. Have the techs tried to swap the modem with a different modem? I Would suggest you swap the modem and power cord, then plug it into a different outlet somewhere else just to test. How old is the building?