Problem with wifi connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Problem with wifi connection

Tried that but it still won't connect. Any other ideas?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nordiques, a couple of ideas come to mind.  

1.  Try loading inSSIDer onto your laptop and ensure that laptop is detecting your network.  When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. The program link below is for the last freebie version. It doesn't display the 802.11ac networks in use in the 5 Ghz band. There is a newer licenced version out now that will handle 802.11ac networks, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop. The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band. If you use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the 5 Ghz networks that are in use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

2.  Consider the age of the laptop.  I'm only speculating here as it also depends on the modem model that you have and the firmware that is currently loaded.  I know that for the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552, Firmware Version 4.5.8.22 has removed TKIP and TKIP/AES as an encryption option.  I wholeheartedly support this in order to improve wifi security.  TKIP is no longer secure.  However, I suspect, that in the case of some older equipment, that end users would have to purchase a USB Wifi adapter to use their laptop on the wifi network.  The built in adapter would be able to detect the network, but, wouldn't be able to join the network.  

In some cases, there might be an option on the laptop to set the encryption mode.  Don't know why this would be done instead of letting the adapter use the encryption mode as seen on the network.  The option to set this sets up a scenario where the modem/router is operating on one type of encryption and the laptop is set to something else.  So, the laptop would see the network, but, not be able to join it.  

Give those a look and let us know what you find....

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks a lot, I will give those suggestions a try and report back.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Inconsistent Wireless Strength

I recently returned to Rogers as my internet provider (very long story why I left years ago.  It all has to do with Rogers "improving" service in my area and making me the only house on the street unable to use any Rogers service).  I came back for the speed.  With everyone using internet on every device at the same time, I decided to sign up for the 250 Mbps service.  To say that I am impressed with the speed, is entirely accurate.  To say that those speeds are rather inconsistent is very annoying.

So far, I have not seemed to have any issues with my PC which is directed wired to the modem/router.  It is all the other devices that are having an issue with being able to have a constant, steady stream.  There are times when we have no issues and all the wireless devices are working fine.  Then there are periods of hours and even a whole day, when no one can connect.  On my cell phone, it shows the 2.4 and the 5G.  I can select either one and it does show the signal strength.  On a good day, strength is 65 to 135.  At other times, strength is barely a 5 and sometimes it is not even listed and nobody can get connected.

I have tried unplugging the modem and that has very little positive results.  I need to figure out why we get uneven service through the wireless.  Hopefully someone can provide an answer because everyone here keeps yelling at me about coming back to Rogers and this horrible lack of wifi is getting on everyone's nerves.

CGN3 modem

Windows 10 PC (direct)

Windows 10 PC (wireless)

4 Android phones

1 iPhone

Wii U

Blu-Ray wireless player

Smart TV

X Box

We live in a townhouse with metal studding (this does not seem to affect anyone because I can see a dozen of my neighbour's wifi).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

hi,, actually i have issues of wifi disappearing from my laptop whenever it wakes up from sleep, than i have to restart my modem to connect it back to the network. i am using cgn3 hitron modem. 

thanks.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Whenever you wake up your laptop from sleep, have you tried manually connecting to the network on the computer?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

hello Ryzen,thanks for your reply, actually havent tried that...how can we do that?thanks

Highlighted

When you wake up your computer, on the bottom right it should should show a WiFi icon, click on it and select your network from the list of networks it gives you. If you have already done this before, once you click to connect to your network it won't ask you for a password, instead it will automatically connection.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

after waking up, my laptop doesnt show my wifi name on network list, even though it keep showing nearby networks, but my wifi just disappears from the list and i have to restart my modem. 

i have tried restarting my laptop,but it doesnt show up until restart my modem.

thanks.

Highlighted

Instead of having to restart the modem, have you tried restarting your computer? From what you're telling me it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the modem. Have you tried updating your computer?