Problem with wifi connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Problem with wifi connection

The Hitron modems don't provide stellar wifi performance, so, my advice to anyone who values good wifi performance and control over all of the functionality is to buy your own router.  Seems a little pointless to have to do that, but a good router makes a huge difference.  Just ensure that it has gigabit WAN and LAN ports and external antenna.  Consider one that has 802.11ac capability.  If you don't have 802.11ac devices currently, it probably won't be long before you do.

If the modem has been online for 72 hours with no signs of the update to version 4.5.8.16, follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page, fill in the title, something such as "Request firmware update for CNG3ACSMR", and your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area.  The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number.  This can be obtained by calling Customer support.  You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps.  The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Indicate in your message that you're at the 72 hour mark with no sign of the update.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I've got the same problem as everyone who posted in this thread. How can this problem be solved without buying a router? I have done a reset to factory setting, and got a new modem. Firmware is 4.5.8.16, and the model of the modem is CGN3ACSMR. 

Any idea how I can solve this? Rogers just keep telling me to reboot or reset the modem, which I did countless times. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you have a look at my post here (#17 orf 17 at the current time).  That will hopefully point you in the right direction to start sorting out the issues.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/321...

The other food for thought is the wifi capability of the devices that you are using.  If you drill down into the Device Manager within Windows, down to the Network Adapters and to the wifi adapter, copy the entire name and data field for the wifi adapter and paste it into the thread.  With that we can look up the specs for the card and determine what it can support in terms of data rates and data streams.  That itself will provide much of the answer.  You can also run a google search with that data and check the data sheet of the adapter to see what it will support.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wifi signal keep dropping and/or disappearing?

For over 2 weeks my wifi signal keeps dropping and/or disappearing. It's driving me CRAZY! Does it have to do with the Pokemon Go app, because it started around when the app was released in the US? Is this happening or happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pokemon go, shouldnt have any effect at all with the wireless... other than potentially more people on, playing, so more possible interfearance.

That brings up my next question.

Where do you live?  A house? Apartment?

Something like an apartment.. may have much more people with wifi.. and therefore more chances of interfearance... and with more people playing now?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in a house with my mother in Stratford, Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With a house.. unless a town house maybe, shouldnt be an issue.

Does it happen randomly?
Or specific times of the day?

If you are able to log into the modem, would you be able to get the MODEL, Firmware versions, as well as the signal strengths?
(signal, if you are able to do it at a good time and a bad time, just to compare)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Great now it's learned a new trick. Now when I'm using my iPad it sometimes when trying to load a page it says "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Does anybody know what would cause this? Is it cause of my still fluctuating wifi signal? I still think it's because of the influx of people playing Pokemon Go taxing on the system cause I didn't have this problem before it was launched in North America.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Limited Connection Issues - Rocket Modem and Windows 8 Laptop

I just signed up for Rogers Internet and have a Rocket Modem. I can connect wirelessly to all my devices except for one laptop (Acer Aspire One) which is running Windows 8. I previously had TekSavvy internet and I could connect fine. If I plug the laptop directly into the modem I do have internet. So far (based on internet searches and speaking with Rogers technicians) I have tried:

- rebooting both the laptop and modem

- changing the power options in Windows 8

- ensuring that the IP and DNS are obtained automatically

- getting the Rogers tech to rename the connection

- updating the wireless drivers on the laptop

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nordiques try deleting all of the network profiles on the laptop and then reconnect to the modem:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%208%20delete%20a...