Problem sending email from company server

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Problem sending email from company server

Hi,

I am having trouble send email using company email server through smtp servcie port 25 at home. Everything works just fine during work. But onece I took my laptop back home outlook will stop send email. Is Rogers blocking the smtp service? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Problem sending email from company server

@nosuchuser wrote:

Hi,

I am having trouble send email using company email server through smtp servcie port 25 at home. Everything works just fine during work. But onece I took my laptop back home outlook will stop send email. Is Rogers blocking the smtp service? 

I think EVERY residential ISP blocks outbound port 25 except to their mail servers nowadays (and IIRC, Rogers was one of the last ISPs to do that). There was just too much spam being relayed through hacked machines otherwise...

Talk to your corporate IT department. If THEY are running a modern setup, the solution is probably to switch to doing authenticated SMTP on port 587. 587 is not blocked.

Or you could always deal with this the old-fashioned way: when at home, use Rogers/Yahoo's SMTP (which will require jumping through a whole bunch of hoops to authenticate the from address) for outbound, but in this era of SPF and the like, I would NOT recommend that.

Or if they are running an Exchange server, you should probably be doing RPC-over-HTTP with Outlook rather than connecting to it via IMAP.

***Update***

Hello, try changing smtp settings to smtp.broadband.rogers.com on port 465 with SSL enabled. You'd also need to use a rogers email address in the outgoing server settings to authenticate to the Rogers smtp server as this server requires authentication. It should fix your problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The outgoing email server, is your work SMTP server?

It quite possible, it is being blocked.  MANY ISP's will block some SMTP other than their own... helps prevent the rogers network from being used for SPAM purposes.
EG: Someone gets infected with a spaming virus.. which sends stuff out on its own, using your PC.  That virus, usualy will use its OWN STMP server.. hotmail, whatever, to send out its junk.  Blocking the allowed access of using alot of the other smtp servers, helps prevent this from happening.  Only way it could be used for spam, is using the rogers SMTP service.

Now.. for sending mail..

I think this is something outlook needs to get with the times with.. allowing MULTIPLE smtp addresses.

Things like my iphone.. you go into the settings.. there is primary, secondary, etc..

So even if say the WORK one failed.. it could move over to the home one and retry.

The only two solutions i semi know of..

A )  Your work SMTP settings... is it set with just the smtp server?  Does it require authentication?  With NO authentication, Rogers is more likely to block it.  SOMETIMES they will be allowed to work, if its an authenticated request (as its less likely someone is just going to use it spam with, as they need to get the authentication info). 

B ) The other way most things i found on the net sugested.. was to set a 2ndary account in outlook there.  Set it to not check etc and download.. but have IDENTICAL settings, other than the different outgoing.
On the send mail screen, you should have a choice then as to choose from WHICH you are sending from then , based on where you are.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank You, I will try to play around with my settings.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hey There,

Yes, it's true that Rogers blocks SMTP traffic. The only SMTP traffic is allowed is directly to Yahoo's mail servers. The reason why this is done is to spambots from infecting/using the Rogers network since this is a common way to spread spam. 

If the corporation you are connecting to is using Exchange, and you are using an Outlook (not Outlook Express) client, see if the corporation has Outlook Anywhere enabled, and instructions on setting up your client. Otherwise, the best method at this point would to use their Web Mail application to send emails.

Worse case scenario is that you can configure your email client to use the Yahoo's email server as SMTP, but note that some spam filters will not like seeing incoming emails outside the source network of the corporation. Your recipients may see an increase in email delivered into their spam quarantines or junk folders. I would highly recommend you do not use this method, or use it as a last resort.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@nosuchuser wrote:

Hi,

I think EVERY residential ISP blocks outbound port 25 except to their mail servers nowadays (and IIRC, Rogers was one of the last ISPs to do that). There was just too much spam being relayed through hacked machines otherwise...

Talk to your corporate IT department. If THEY are running a modern setup, the solution is probably to switch to doing authenticated SMTP on port 587. 587 is not blocked.

Or you could always deal with this the old-fashioned way: when at home, use Rogers/Yahoo's SMTP (which will require jumping through a whole bunch of hoops to authenticate the from address) for outbound, but in this era of SPF and the like, I would NOT recommend that.

Or if they are running an Exchange server, you should probably be doing RPC-over-HTTP with Outlook rather than connecting to it via IMAP.

***Update***

Hello, try changing smtp settings to smtp.broadband.rogers.com on port 465 with SSL enabled. You'd also need to use a rogers email address in the outgoing server settings to authenticate to the Rogers smtp server as this server requires authentication. It should fix your problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When you say your latop works fine at the office I assume you mean on the office network? Odds are your mx records, dns names etc are different on your internal network than they are on the internet side. Most times regular SMTP is not used from a client standpoint outside the network due to lack of encryption for authentication and transport etc.

Can you send mail while outside the work network from other locations/isp's like say a hotel? 

By the sounds of it you should be accessing your work network via a VPN tunnel to allow access to resources at work.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@sbenninger wrote:

When you say your latop works fine at the office I assume you mean on the office network? Odds are your mx records, dns names etc are different on your internal network than they are on the internet side. Most times regular SMTP is not used from a client standpoint outside the network due to lack of encryption for authentication and transport etc.

Can you send mail while outside the work network from other locations/isp's like say a hotel? 

By the sounds of it you should be accessing your work network via a VPN tunnel to allow access to resources at work.

I think it very much depends on what type of employer it is, and how they run things.

For example, I worked for one employer where you had no access to any email (including Exchange webmail) stuff except from the VPN, and that (very invasive) VPN was set up (presumably using funky SSL stuff) such that ONLY company-owned machines could access it. If you didn't have a company laptop, then no access to email for you from outside the office, full stop.

On the opposite extreme, 10-15 years ago, there were plenty of universities where you would access your email via IMAP and POP3, and you were expected to follow the 'mid-late 1990s' model and send using your local ISP's SMTP server if you were outside their network. Even as that model started to fade in the mid-2000s as SMTP AUTH and things like SPF came along and plenty of people would use things like WiFi hotspots where the 'local SMTP server' is unknown, they did not deploy an SMTP AUTH relay to my knowledge, but later deployed Exchange for staff/faculty.

There are also a LOT of small companies that don't have real corporate email systems, but just something outsourced to some random provider, Google, or Office 365.

In the OP's case, I suspect that changing the port number to 587, assuming the employer (or whoever they outsource to) is running a reasonably modern setup, would probably be the best solution.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi,

I am trying to setup an Exchange server using Residential IP. I got SSL enabled and used 465 port for my send connector.

Issue : 421 4.4.2 connection dropped due to socketerror

Any advise?

Thank you,